: High Pitched Whine (Not Rear End)

ssmith100
01-09-07, 01:03 PM
My car is driving me crazy. Got it back last week after having the thermostat housing TSB done and battery replaced I hoped it would take care of my noise..............but it didn't. I have a high pitched whine (like alternator whine in a stereo or fuel pump whine) that comes and goes as it pleases. Some days it won't even do it and other days it will do it for thirty minutes at a time. It sounds like it is coming from the right rear of the car inside but I can't really tell. My new rear end only has about 700 miles on it and is quiet as can be. My car made the same noise before the rear was replaced. I'm also loosing tire pressure on the right rear tire slowly and sometimes me tire pressure reads 0. Could it be possible my sensor is loose inside my wheel and could be making this noise???? Any ideas guys????? I'm stumped:rant2: .

Shane

04CTSVFLA
01-09-07, 01:08 PM
Low Power Steering Fluid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keeksv
01-09-07, 01:19 PM
Wife in trunk?lol

Is your car running okay--not fuel starved or anything?

The Tony Show
01-09-07, 01:22 PM
If you don't have a nail in the tire, the pressure loss is probably due to a bad seal on the TPM. I had that happen once, but there's no noise associated with it. Spray some soapy water on the valve stem, and if there's a leak it'll bubble up.

I'm inclined to go with the power steering diagnosis for the whine. Check the fluid, and make sure if you top it off yourself that you use the correct fluid.

ssmith100
01-09-07, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys. Power steering level is full. First thing I checked when it started about three months ago. Car seems to be running fine........I'm stumped. I had one of the techs that does all the work on my car ride with me and of course it didn't do it. Hopefully whatever it is will fail eventually. I thought it might be a wheel bearing but usually when those start making noise they continue to make noise. This noise comes and goes. Very frustrated.

Shane

Florian
01-09-07, 03:20 PM
My car is driving me crazy. Got it back last week after having the thermostat housing TSB done and battery replaced I hoped it would take care of my noise..............but it didn't. I have a high pitched whine (like alternator whine in a stereo or fuel pump whine) that comes and goes as it pleases. Some days it won't even do it and other days it will do it for thirty minutes at a time. It sounds like it is coming from the right rear of the car inside but I can't really tell. My new rear end only has about 700 miles on it and is quiet as can be. My car made the same noise before the rear was replaced. I'm also loosing tire pressure on the right rear tire slowly and sometimes me tire pressure reads 0. Could it be possible my sensor is loose inside my wheel and could be making this noise???? Any ideas guys????? I'm stumped:rant2: .

Shane

Shane,

I have that exact same noise...doesnt seem to affect driving, but just annoying. Has been happening for last 5K miles. I suspect the rear or the 1/2 shafts....definately not the TPS...

F

ssmith100
01-09-07, 03:42 PM
Flo,

I'm pretty sure it isn't the new rear as it was doing it with the old one. I thought hopefully the new rear would take care of the problem, but it didn't. I'm just absolutely stumped at what it could be. It almost sounds more electrical related than drivetrain but the noise does stop when I come to a complete stop. It will fluctuate in volume till it reaches a certain speed and then just stays at that "tone" whether I'm going 70 or 100. As I decrease in speed the tone will change and eventually stop when I come to a stop. As soon as I accelerate to about 10 mph it starts, or doesn't start back. Totally frustrated.

Shane

heavymetals
01-09-07, 04:10 PM
Fuel pump is on that side, but I don't see how movement of the car would make it whine.:confused:

Florian
01-09-07, 05:40 PM
Flo,

I'm pretty sure it isn't the new rear as it was doing it with the old one. I thought hopefully the new rear would take care of the problem, but it didn't. I'm just absolutely stumped at what it could be. It almost sounds more electrical related than drivetrain but the noise does stop when I come to a complete stop. It will fluctuate in volume till it reaches a certain speed and then just stays at that "tone" whether I'm going 70 or 100. As I decrease in speed the tone will change and eventually stop when I come to a stop. As soon as I accelerate to about 10 mph it starts, or doesn't start back. Totally frustrated.

Shane

Exact same thing....no question about it. At times it even "warbles" a bit until up to a constant tone....sometimes at highway speeds it will stop abruptly...its really wierd.

F

ssmith100
01-09-07, 05:53 PM
Heavy,

Is the pump in the tank or external???? At idle is the pressure a lot lower than during acceleration ????? To me that's what it sounds like but it doesn't do it all the time.

Shane

ssmith100
01-09-07, 05:56 PM
Flo,

That sounds like it. I wonder how come nobody else has had this complaint??? People also may think that this noise is the rear end whining when it maybe this noise. Sure wish you could figure it out :D

Shane

lawfive
01-09-07, 06:09 PM
Could be the fuel pump, but it doesn't make sense that the noise goes away when you come to a stop (unless you turn off the ignition). I'm no expert on the fuel pump in our car but in general on a direct injection system they run at a constant rate and simply push gas to the FI, which does most of the work.

If Shane is maggied (and I think he is) I'd say maybe the booster pump. But Florian's not maggied and has the exact same sound? :hmm:

lawfive
01-09-07, 06:11 PM
Okay, the F l o r i a n sheep thing is starting to lose its novelty...

Florian
01-09-07, 06:16 PM
Okay, the F l o r i a n sheep thing is starting to lose its novelty...

L5, roger that...I gotta talk to Urby...hes the culprit.

F

Florian
01-09-07, 06:17 PM
Could be the fuel pump, but it doesn't make sense that the noise goes away when you come to a stop (unless you turn off the ignition). I'm no expert on the fuel pump in our car but in general on a direct injection system they run at a constant rate and simply push gas to the FI, which does most of the work.

If Shane is maggied (and I think he is) I'd say maybe the booster pump. But Floria-n's not maggied and has the exact same sound? :hmm:

Ive been scratchin my head for over 5K miles trying to figure this one out.

F

heavymetals
01-09-07, 07:04 PM
Heavy,

Is the pump in the tank or external???? At idle is the pressure a lot lower than during acceleration ????? To me that's what it sounds like but it doesn't do it all the time.

Shane

Pressure is not a lot lower at acceleration or deceleration as the pump runs off the battery.

I had one friend who had a whine like what you describe comming out of one speaker.

Turned out to be a noisy alternator and a bad filter on the amplifier side.

Will be interesting to find out what is causing your complaint.

ssmith100
01-09-07, 07:18 PM
No Maggie here. I do have my system all upgraded but I've shut down power to my aftermarket amps and I still have the noise regardless. It only sounds like it's coming from the right rear of the car though.

Flo,

Is that where yours sounds (right rear) like it's coming from??

I don't really think it's the fuel pump but that's what the sound kinda sounds like. It's very strange that no one else has this problem. On the way home tonight it whined for about the first 20 miles and then just stopped while cruising on the highway about 85. It the strangest thing I've ever seen (heard).

Shane

keeksv
01-09-07, 08:14 PM
Shane:

Does the sound change/go away when you apply the brakes?

Doesn't sound like the fuel pump. May want to give some more thought to the possibility of the half shaft on that side--that is the one that breaks quite often. Did you get new shafts with your diff?

Florian
01-09-07, 09:39 PM
No Maggie here. I do have my system all upgraded but I've shut down power to my aftermarket amps and I still have the noise regardless. It only sounds like it's coming from the right rear of the car though.

Flo,

Is that where yours sounds (right rear) like it's coming from??

I don't really think it's the fuel pump but that's what the sound kinda sounds like. It's very strange that no one else has this problem. On the way home tonight it whined for about the first 20 miles and then just stopped while cruising on the highway about 85. It the strangest thing I've ever seen (heard).

Shane

Shane,

Yup, right rear...and out of nowhere, the noise will pop up, usually heavy acceleration and/or shifting, which leads me to believe its the rear. Usually dies after a stoplight/sign, etc. But for the life of me, I cant figure it out. It does sound metallic though.

F

Rich H
01-09-07, 10:01 PM
Shane,

Yup, right rear...and out of nowhere, the noise will pop up, usually heavy acceleration and/or shifting, which leads me to believe its the rear. Usually dies after a stoplight/sign, etc. But for the life of me, I cant figure it out. It does sound metallic though.

F

:hmm: EXACTLY what I'm currently experiencing. This problem has been getting gradually worse for the last 1000 miles or so. Started out as a faint mechanical rubbing noise coming from the right rear. Sounds like a warped brake rotor rubbing since it is not a single constant tone. It warbles just as you described. But applying the brakes does not change anything. It occurs at almost any speed above ~30 mph. Doesn't correlate with vehicle or outdoor temp. Comes and goes at will but usually turning right sharply will kill the noise for a while. I'm thinking right rear halfshaft or wheel bearing - it doesn't sound like the rear end. Definitely not a speaker or fuel pump issue.

Florian
01-09-07, 10:10 PM
:hmm: EXACTLY what I'm currently experiencing. This problem has been getting gradually worse for the last 1000 miles or so. Started out as a faint mechanical rubbing noise coming from the right rear. Sounds like a warped brake rotor rubbing since it is not a single constant tone. It warbles just as you described. But applying the brakes does not change anything. It occurs at almost any speed above ~30 mph. Doesn't correlate with vehicle or outdoor temp. Comes and goes at will but usually turning right sharply will kill the noise for a while. I'm thinking right rear halfshaft or wheel bearing - it doesn't sound like the rear end. Definitely not a speaker or fuel pump issue.

My guess was either the diff carrier bearing or half shaft bearing, guess well find out when it fails.

F

Rich H
01-09-07, 10:30 PM
My guess was either the diff carrier bearing or half shaft bearing, guess well find out when it fails.

F

I likely will try to have a dealer listen to it if, and when, the noise becomes more constant. I could use the rear diff bushing replaced as a minimum anyway due to driveline clunking after 23,000 miles on the odometer.

ssmith100
01-09-07, 11:32 PM
Rich H and Flo,

I'm thinking more and more like it's a bearing. The tone does change at times. I believe all my bushing are new since the new rear end carrier came with new bushings. Halfshafts are still original. The sound does sound metallic in nature though. My rear brakes are also starting to squeel a little now and then. The rotors and pads only have about 10,000 miles on them though. Car has 47,000 now. Hopefully one of us soon will find out what it is.

Shane

ssmith100
01-12-07, 08:57 PM
Bumping this. Can anyone verify if the halfshafts have a bearing in them???

Shane

Lindsay Cadillac
01-12-07, 09:07 PM
Bumping this. Can anyone verify if the halfshafts have a bearing in them???

Shane
Here's an exploded view of the axle shaft... They don't have a bearing in them... The balls marked #4 & #15 don't spin like they would in a bearing...

ssmith100
01-12-07, 09:26 PM
James,

Any ideas !!!!! This is driving me crazy.

Shane

JOEYCTS-V
01-12-07, 09:27 PM
Weird, I noticed a very similar noise that seemed to have started after I installed a 160 thermostat. Coincidence? :hmm:

Lindsay Cadillac
01-12-07, 09:51 PM
Without hearing the noise it's kind of hard to say... The only TSB dealing with that kind of noise is from the front, specifically the engine compartment, I attached a copy...

Maybe the center support bearing in the driveshaft... Has anyone tried to get the car up in the air and see if you can hear the noise from underneath?? That might at least help pinpointing the area of where it's coming from...

ssmith100
01-12-07, 09:55 PM
Water pump TSB was done. The tech didn't sound to enthused to get the car on the lift and try it that way. He said that it would probably need a load on it to find the problem. Of course when he rode in the car it didn't do it. It sure sounds like it's coming from the right rear from in the car. I''ll see what he says about the center support bearing in the driveshaft.

Thanks as always James.

Shane

Lindsay Cadillac
01-12-07, 10:22 PM
Does it only make the noise while the car is moving??

Does the noise change with vehicle speed??

Like I already said... I'd be getting it up in the air trying to find where it's coming from...

ssmith100
01-12-07, 10:35 PM
James,

Only when moving but can start as low as 20mph. Sometimes the pitch of the noise will change. You can be driving down the highway at 80mph and it will have been doing it for 10 minutes straight and then just stop, it may start again in another 10 miles. Sometimes if I come to a stop and it's been doing it if I get on the car pretty hard it will stop. It's the craziest thing.

It sounds like a fuel pump but not that loud. Sometimes it's very faint and sometimes it's extremely loud.

Shane

Florian
01-13-07, 12:11 AM
James,

Only when moving but can start as low as 20mph. Sometimes the pitch of the noise will change. You can be driving down the highway at 80mph and it will have been doing it for 10 minutes straight and then just stop, it may start again in another 10 miles. Sometimes if I come to a stop and it's been doing it if I get on the car pretty hard it will stop. It's the craziest thing.

It sounds like a fuel pump but not that loud. Sometimes it's very faint and sometimes it's extremely loud.

Shane

Shane, thats absolutely the issue I have. Exactly the same.

F

ssmith100
01-13-07, 12:24 AM
I sure wish you could find the answer Flo. I'm about to lose my mind over this.

Shane

Rich H
01-13-07, 12:34 AM
After looking at the diagram of the half shaft I think my problem could be one of the CV joints. The noise cycles (warbles) at about the same frequency as the revolution speed of the joint and it sounds like a dry metal against metal rubbing noise. I'll have the dealer check it out.

keeksv
01-13-07, 09:59 AM
After looking at the diagram of the half shaft I think my problem could be one of the CV joints. The noise cycles (warbles) at about the same frequency as the revolution speed of the joint and it sounds like a dry metal against metal rubbing noise. I'll have the dealer check it out.
:cool:

Florian
01-13-07, 02:11 PM
I sure wish you could find the answer Flo. I'm about to lose my mind over this.

Shane

Doug will find the issue and cure it in the next few weeks. Pix to follow later.

F

bbmurphy1
01-16-07, 02:21 AM
I am having the very same problem... I actually logged on tonight to see if anyone else is having this problem. And to see if there is a correction. With my car I notice the noise at around 42 mph only when I am light on the gas pedal. You know, giving it enough gas just to stay at that speed. Its very annoying. Haven't wanted to part from my V for a couple of days to leave it at the dealer. But I am real close.

Florian
01-16-07, 06:26 PM
you got the standard rear end whine.....

F

Kels55
02-08-07, 02:50 PM
I had a similar problem that I described as a hissing sound that increases as the speed increases. Have you noticed any blowing or sucking sounds from the gas tank when you fill up? I did during one fill up that I did during the 2 months that this sound was occurring, but it only happened once. I thought it must be a vaccum line or fuel filter/pump but this is what happened when I took my car for service.

Comment 13 at this link:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/98231-problem-local-dealer.html?highlight=gas+tank

Now, granted, what my final mechanic is saying about my problem may have been caused by pressure built up in the tank but I won't know for sure until I get it replaced and see for myself.

I would recommend that you make sure your dealership checks you gas tank and fuel pump and make sure that it isn't creating pressure in your tank.

ctsvett
02-09-07, 11:48 PM
There was an A/C or heater tube whine from a long time ago... Might want to check that... Search the FAQ or the forum... If you cant find it.. PM me

Reed

ssmith100
03-27-07, 01:01 PM
*********************UPDATE*********************** *

Resurected this thread as my car is going into the shop. My "whine" has gotten to the point it isn't tolerable anymore. I have found out on thing though that has lead me to believe it is not drivetrain related. Three times now when my car has reached half a tank of gas the whine has started. It will still come and go at times but does get worse as the tank gets lower. If I fill my tank.....................no whine. I'm on my second day of fill up and still no whine. I have thought from the beginning that it sounded like the fuel pump so hopefully the repair will pertain to something in the fuel system. I'll keep you guys updated.

Shane

ssmith100
05-16-07, 12:37 PM
Resurrected Again.

Not fuel related. Car going back in the shop as the whine is almost continuous now. Told them to keep it till it's fixed. Not Happy :rant2:

Shane

ewill3rd
05-16-07, 09:23 PM
It sounds to me like you might have some fuel pump issues.

First of all you say it is a high pitched whine?
Axles, rear ends, CV joints, and wheel bearings usually make growling noises (with the exception of the whine from the gears when they get messed up in the diff)
They are more low pitched and change directly with vehicle speed.

If the noise stays constant over a large speed range it is probably something that is not so speed related.
I believe the CTS-V uses a returnless fuel system, which means the pressure regulator is in the tank and it is designed to maintain a constant fuel pressure throughout the full range of vehicle operation.
The "load" will change on the pump though, because higher demand means higher fuel volume and the pump tone can change based on engine load, and often does.
In fact, some cars use a separate fuel pump control module to increase or decrease the speed of the pump based on several factors including load and vehicle speed. I don't think the V uses that, but based on your description I think the noise may be eminating from the fuel pump.

It is indeed inside the tank, on the right side of the car. There is also a separate sender with a "jet pump" in it on the left side of the tank that transfers fuel from left to right because of the tank design. (saddle for drivetrain)

Based on what I have read so far I'd say you are looking at a fuel pump issue, although it may not be a failing part, it may be something you just happened to notice and now you are fixated on it.
At any rate there are a few tricks you can try to isolate the problem.

Get the vehicle up to speed until you hear it, put the car in neutral and turn off the key. Things like bearings, axles, etc, will keep making noise because they are still turning. Load sensitive noises may disappear.
When you are done you can restart the car and just put it back in whatever gear feels right for the speed you are going.
Be sure to do this when traffic is clear, you have lots of room and there are no hazards around.
The pump may run for a couple seconds after key off but if it hums and then stops then it is probably the pump.

HTH.
Let me know if you have more comments or questions.

ewill3rd
05-16-07, 09:25 PM
The fact that it is fuel level related, or seems to be points even more strongly to the pump.

Why do you say it is not "fuel related"?

ssmith100
05-17-07, 10:07 AM
HTH,

Everything you said makes since and originally I thought it was pump related. I would notice that after I filled my car up the noise would go away after a while and then as the car used gas it would come more frequent. "Possible fuel pump related" After a few fill ups I then started to notice that even after fill up it would do it. It sure does sound like what your talking about though. I'm going to try shutting the car down like you said next time it does it. That should help verify it.

Thanks,
Shane

ssmith100
10-31-07, 12:45 PM
I am re-resurecting this thread again. Car is getting worse and they still can't fix the problem. I've had a drivetrain guy take a look and he feels like the problem is coming from the rear. Unfortunatly he didn't have a way to get the car up in the air and put the wheels on a load. If anyone else has had this same problem or had it fixed I would love to know.

Thanks,
Shane

Rich H
11-04-07, 10:03 PM
I posted on this thread a while back saying that I thought the noise coming from my car (more of a squeal than a whine) was coming from a wheel bearing. Well the dealer agreed and replaced the right front wheel hub. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. They then diagnosed a "dry" center support driveshaft bearing. They tried lubing it but that didn't work. So they replaced the whole drive shaft assembly which included the bearing last Fri and that seems to have solved the problem - for now.

The noise was intermittent and gradually got worse so they could diagose it up on the lift with a stethoscope - but I'm not sure how or if they were able to apply any load to the drive train. Good luck finding your problem.

NormV
11-04-07, 11:11 PM
Like ewill mentioned you can turn off the engine at cruise to determine if it is pump related or not.

For suspension I'd try loading and and unloading using the steering wheel and brakes at the speed you hear it. Even put in the clutch would eliminate drive shaft support bushing.

I have a nice vibration at 80 mph accel or decel, but not at cruise. Noise starts at 30ish and is grainy. Put it in 5th it goes away. Go to same rpms in 5th it goes away. Light cruise turning left it is noise than going straight or right. It is not getting any worse with a road course day so I am not worried. Just wiggle the wheel once a week to make sure it will not fall off.

Actually pin pointed a warmer left rear bearing compared to RR and the left was always warmer after a highway cruise. But did not loosen up I until 5K miles.

Keep is up to date,
Norm

LV_V
02-24-08, 10:30 PM
I also have had this high pitched "whirring" noise that comes and goes. Its getting to the point where its annoying the $hit out of me, but every person who rides in my car asks me WTF that noise is. Wonderful, eh?

I want to take it into the dealership, but always have an issue with intermittent things like this being dismissed as "not re-reproduceable" by the dealer. Any advice? Maybe take it in, tell them the symptoms, and mention the drive shaft support bushing?

CadiBlk
02-24-09, 02:50 PM
From the depths.

I am fortunate enough to enjoy this harmonizing tone coming from right rear area, randomly. It's not the diff, I've had that whine and am I on a fresh diff.

The tone I am referring to sounds like when you run a water facet or shower and you move the facet or shower head so that the flow is constricted.

It comes at highway speeds (>45). The tone will increase with speed, but at a certain point, the tone will reach constant even if accelerating . The tone will change while decreasing and using the brakes changes the tone. The tone will sometimes stay at speeds below 45 but at a stop the tone goes away.

I used the water example of the tone so people can get an idea of what it sounds like. I don't know if it is fuel pump like discussed or half shaft. I just used the water flow as example, my sound could be coming from metal on metal action.

The sound happens pretty randomly and I am interested to see if it comes when I am half full of fuel. I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping someone remembers a mention of a fix or is currently experiencing this. My warranty is up in a couple weeks and I would like to get this fixed. I don't want to extend the warranty in fear of this because I have plans for a few warranty voiding mods...:stirpot:

Albertan
02-24-09, 03:20 PM
Any chance it is coming from the heater core? I seem to remember there was a restriction somewhere in there on some cars.

CadiBlk
02-24-09, 03:38 PM
I have yet to have someone in the car with me while it was happening, but it sounds like it is coming from under the rear seat. I folded down the rear seat backs and it didn't seem to help with the diagnosis. At 70mph when it is happening it is real loud, I can hear it over my radio and my headers. Also it doesn't help that I have to driving highway speeds while trying to figure it out, danger.

I'm not 100% but I believe the heater core is under the hood? So I think that is not my problem. Any advice helps, thank you.

urbanski
02-24-09, 05:04 PM
rip shane's car.

bandit6678
02-24-09, 05:54 PM
I used to have a whine in my 78 trans am, It was a really odd sound and would change with the speed/ rpms of the car. I think I tuned out to be either a vacuum leak or a bad intake gasket. My Jetta used to have a whine whih was the alternator

ssmith100
02-24-09, 06:14 PM
I thought once I got this fixed I posted it in this thread. The problem is the carrier bearing in the two piece driveshaft. Once I convinced them to replace the drive shaft it went away. Car was quiet as can be. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks Urb, gone but not forgotten. I do kind of miss the girl.

Shane

CadiBlk
02-24-09, 06:30 PM
I thought once I got this fixed I posted it in this thread. The problem is the carrier bearing in the two piece driveshaft. Once I convinced them to replace the drive shaft it went away. Car was quiet as can be. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks Urb, gone but not forgotten. I do kind of miss the girl.

Shane

Thank you for coming back and for the information on this topic.

Where there any visible signs that was the culprit? I feel that my shody explanation and the randomness of the noise appearing that they won't get any physical evidence. So if there were something that they could see or inspect, might help me get them on board.

Thanks again for your help. This has been bothering me. :banghead:

CadzillaTN
02-24-09, 07:01 PM
post deleted

thebigjimsho
02-24-09, 07:44 PM
I think Shane should get an honorary lifetime Supporting Membership for his valuable poasts and info...

ssmith100
02-24-09, 08:54 PM
Actually I got the info from one of the other forums I think. My wife works for the dealership and I eat dinner with the service manager all the time so they got tired of me bitching. Basically they just replaced it to appease me and guess what...fixed the problem. Ther earen't any visual signs to see but it "was" the problem.

Thanks Jim. Yes, I still hang out here to help out if possible.

Shane

GMBOUND
02-24-09, 11:59 PM
So after you totalled it you found out how to fix the whine?
I told you all that talk of selling it wasn't good.
Thanks for the fix, i'm definately taking note of it.

thebigjimsho
02-25-09, 03:57 PM
So after you totalled it you found out how to fix the whine?
I told you all that talk of selling it wasn't good.
Thanks for the fix, i'm definately taking note of it.Marty McFly didn't realize we went back in time...

CadiBlk
03-02-09, 02:28 PM
I dropped the car off at the dealer this morning. Service tech that replaced my diff rode with me and soon as we got on the highway it kicked on (I was concerned that soon as I got it to the dealer it would go away) and the tech starts to say that there is a TSB on the bushing on the diff....

I cringed thinkin that they aren't going to be able to diagnose/fix it ( i have a new 06-07 diff put in last fall and i don't think it is the problem). I mentioned that a fellow enthusiast had a similar issue and that a replace of the drive shaft fixed it, the tech was not amused. I'll keep this updated if/when they get me fixed up.

CadiBlk
03-02-09, 05:06 PM
Update. Dealer called and said that they replaced my diff...again (3rd). The whine I had definitely was not the normal diff whine, I've had "The" diff whine and it was textbook (light throttle 40-50mph and went away with clutch depressed), this "new" whine was odd. Only coming on at highway speeds but then continuing at low speeds after the initial issue enabler.

Well I will put some miles on this new diff and see if I can't get it to sing. My warranty is up on March 17th, so this mother best hold as I want to start warranty void modding asap!

CadiBlk
03-02-09, 08:01 PM
Updated 2.0:

Halfway home from the dealer I am cruising along (72mph), then right on cue: eeeeEEEEEEEEE.

I told them that it wasn't the rear diff and sure enough replacing the rear diff did not fix it. This was a bit discouraging. I feel that the service department knowledge is limited to rear diff problems from the V, because they work on so few, so their mindset that it is a fix all. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what their plan B is. If it doesn't include the option of replacing the driveshaft (fixed ssmith100/Shane), then I will hear them out and decide if I want to try another dealer.

I just wish that I would have modded something to then have this noise so at least it would be mod hell, but instead this just started out of the blue for no apparent reason (hour 4 of a 5 hour trip). Joy.

V8V
03-02-09, 08:48 PM
On my 4th trip to the dealer, they replaced my diff too. They didn't believe me that it was the center support bearing. The 5th trip in they had it for a week and a half. One new drive shaft, and good as new. If you can get them to have someone ride in the back seat, you can tell that it is coming from under the console, not the differential.

Good luck.

CadiBlk
03-02-09, 09:06 PM
On my 4th trip to the dealer, they replaced my diff too. They didn't believe me that it was the center support bearing. The 5th trip in they had it for a week and a half. One new drive shaft, and good as new. If you can get them to have someone ride in the back seat, you can tell that it is coming from under the console, not the differential.

Good luck.

Thank you for the information. The tech did ride with me and I asked him if he wanted to sit in the back, but he said he could do the listening job from the front.....:thepan:

Where there any visible signs on the center support bearing that should a problem? Just something that they could look at and see once they got it out? Thanks again.

BacDoc
03-02-09, 09:34 PM
My V started making a "power steering" whine tonite. Coming from under the hood. My DD did something like this, whine came and went, turns out it was a bad bearing the tension pulley. I found out when it seized up.

CadiBlk
03-02-09, 11:40 PM
My V started making a "power steering" whine tonite. Coming from under the hood. My DD did something like this, whine came and went, turns out it was a bad bearing the tension pulley. I found out when it seized up.

Ya, I've had bad idler pulleys before. I know that sound. This is def coming right from below my console. If they don't believe me I am going to take the center console out and drive it to the dealer so they can hear. It possible to drive it without the console? If nobody has tried it, i may be the first. :alchi:

thebigjimsho
03-03-09, 12:17 AM
Updated 2.0:

Halfway home from the dealer I am cruising along (72mph), then right on cue: eeeeEEEEEEEEE.

I told them that it wasn't the rear diff and sure enough replacing the rear diff did not fix it. This was a bit discouraging. I feel that the service department knowledge is limited to rear diff problems from the V, because they work on so few, so their mindset that it is a fix all. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what their plan B is. If it doesn't include the option of replacing the driveshaft (fixed ssmith100/Shane), then I will hear them out and decide if I want to try another dealer.

I just wish that I would have modded something to then have this noise so at least it would be mod hell, but instead this just started out of the blue for no apparent reason (hour 4 of a 5 hour trip). Joy.I drove to Lindsay in VA from Boston to have my last warranty work done. Best decision ever. But for you, I'd take it to Cadillac Tony and see if he can be a conduit to getting it fixed correctly.

CadiBlk
03-03-09, 12:27 AM
I will contact Tony tomorrow after I talk to my service writer and see if they are going to do me a solid with the driveshaft. Is Tony's fu well versed with the V. I know I have seen that name around here. It is a lil under 3 hours to Plaza and I am not above making that drive.

thebigjimsho
03-03-09, 12:31 AM
Tony just sold his V a few months ago and he is well versed in all things V. He's been around since the beginning and has seen every issue...

CadiBlk
03-03-09, 12:38 AM
Thanks tbjs.

ewill3rd
03-03-09, 09:53 AM
I think I know the noise in question, it probably is the center support bearing on the propshaft.
I have replaced 3 of them for this issue.
It is a unique sound and hard to pin down.

The first one was a complete mystery, from then on I knew the noise when I heard it.

mikemc
03-03-09, 11:28 AM
I think I know the noise in question, it probably is the center support bearing on the propshaft.
I have replaced 3 of them for this issue.
It is a unique sound and hard to pin down.

The first one was a complete mystery, from then on I knew the noise when I heard it.

I have this exact same problem and I am sure it is the carrier bearing in the driveshaft. I looked up the procedure to replace the bearing and the factory service manual refers to a kit that includes a new bearing, dust boot, o-ring and grease. Can someone tell me what the part number is for this kit so I can get this fixed? (I'm out of warranty and can do the work myself).

Thanks,
Mike McClure

Cadillac Tony
03-03-09, 12:41 PM
From the depths.

I am fortunate enough to enjoy this harmonizing tone coming from right rear area, randomly. It's not the diff, I've had that whine and am I on a fresh diff.

The tone I am referring to sounds like when you run a water facet or shower and you move the facet or shower head so that the flow is constricted.

It comes at highway speeds (>45). The tone will increase with speed, but at a certain point, the tone will reach constant even if accelerating . The tone will change while decreasing and using the brakes changes the tone. The tone will sometimes stay at speeds below 45 but at a stop the tone goes away.

I used the water example of the tone so people can get an idea of what it sounds like. I don't know if it is fuel pump like discussed or half shaft. I just used the water flow as example, my sound could be coming from metal on metal action.

The sound happens pretty randomly and I am interested to see if it comes when I am half full of fuel. I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping someone remembers a mention of a fix or is currently experiencing this. My warranty is up in a couple weeks and I would like to get this fixed. I don't want to extend the warranty in fear of this because I have plans for a few warranty voiding mods...:stirpot:

Sounds like a bearing noise to me- either the joint on the two-piece driveshaft or a rear wheel bearing. Tough to say without hearing it in person, but that's my guess.

*edit* I just went back and saw that your describe the sound as an "eeeeEEEEEE", and that wouldn't be a wheel bearing. Magic 8-Ball says "all signs point to driveshaft". I'll talk to the shop and see what's involved in diagnosing it.

CadiBlk
03-03-09, 01:48 PM
This the drive shaft carrier bearing?

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq35/offnpublic/centerbearing.jpg

Just to add to the trail of information: Here is another thread discussing people with the same issue and a driveshaft replace fixed them.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/132161-driveshaft-carrier-bearing-squeal.html

I had high hopes when Trukk said that it could be lubed. But then someone said that it just comes back. I am taking my car back to the dealer tomorrow.

This forum is going to allow me to get this fixed in as few of trips as possible. Thanks for all your help guys. :worship:

V8V
03-03-09, 08:44 PM
One more dead end path to not go down. On one of my trips in, the dealer 'resequenced' the drive shaft. When they replaced the diff the first time, they didn't re-align the drive shaft paint marks to the diff paint marks. They must spin balance the parts at the factory to minimize vibration. No help though. I don't think that there's any visual indication of the bearing going bad.

ewill3rd
03-04-09, 02:33 PM
The carrier bearing is not serviceable. You have to replace the entire propshaft.
The front and rear couplers are replaceable.

It isn't necessary to "phase" the propshaft with the yokes, although it can help. You get vibration issues, not noises, and only in rare cases.

CadiBlk
03-04-09, 03:06 PM
Car is back at the dealer today. They are going to replace the driveshaft. Thanks to all that helped. I will post my results.

mikemc
03-04-09, 04:31 PM
The carrier bearing is not serviceable. You have to replace the entire propshaft.
The front and rear couplers are replaceable.

There are specific instructions in the factory service manual called "Propeller Shaft Center Support Bearing Overhaul". It clearly describes the procedure to replace the bearing and it's associated parts. The parts appear to be a bearing, an o-ring, a snap ring, a small package of grease, a grease slinger and a dust boot. The manual references that all these parts should be available as a kit, yet it doesn't list any part numbers.

I just want to buy this kit as it is bound to be hundreds of dollars cheaper than buying a new driveshaft. I found a part number for what appears to be the bearing (88951975). I can't tell if this part number is just the bearing or the whole kit? Can anybody with access to the GM parts database help me?

Thanks,
Mike McClure

CadiBlk
03-05-09, 07:53 PM
I got a new driveshaft today and on the 30min ride home from the dealer I didn't hear anything but the road noise from my KDWs. It was glorious. :thumbsup:

I just want to say thanks again to all who chimed in and helping me get that noise solutioned in as few trips as possible. I look on the bright side, I got a fresh diff put in for no reason with 2 weeks left on my warranty. :highfive:

nickwsu2006
09-21-09, 11:45 AM
Did anyone ever figure out what the GM part number 88951975 actually entails? Is it possible to service the carrier bearing instead of replacing the whole driveshaft?

Thanks

darkman
09-21-09, 12:11 PM
GMgenuineparts.net shows that part number to be the bearing. ($120 mrsp).

nickwsu2006
09-21-09, 12:14 PM
Thanks a lot. still seems funny to sell a part that is supposedly "non-serviceable" doesn't it? There has to be a way to fix that carrier bearing without buying a whole new driveshaft.

darkman
09-21-09, 12:20 PM
There are specific instructions in the factory service manual called "Propeller Shaft Center Support Bearing Overhaul". It clearly describes the procedure to replace the bearing and it's associated parts. The parts appear to be a bearing, an o-ring, a snap ring, a small package of grease, a grease slinger and a dust boot. The manual references that all these parts should be available as a kit, yet it doesn't list any part numbers.

I just want to buy this kit as it is bound to be hundreds of dollars cheaper than buying a new driveshaft. I found a part number for what appears to be the bearing (88951975). I can't tell if this part number is just the bearing or the whole kit? Can anybody with access to the GM parts database help me?

Thanks,
Mike McClure

Thanks a lot. still seems funny to sell a part that is supposedly "non-serviceable" doesn't it? There has to be a way to fix that carrier bearing without buying a whole new driveshaft.

The earlier post (above) is accurate. There is a section in the Service Manual that discusses how to replace the bearing. Additionally, as a general matter any bearing you can get to and remove is replaceable because bearings are manufactured to universal/international specifications are ultimately available from some supplier if you can locate them.

nickwsu2006
09-21-09, 01:41 PM
well, here is the low-down. The part #88951975 is a propeller shaft center support bearing and can be replaced. The bad thing is, that it is not for the V. It is for the 6spd manual or 5sp auto for the V6 base CTS. Our transmission code is MN6 or M12 and has a completely different driveshaft (which all already knew). I just wanted to clarify what that part number actually was, since I have seen it around, but never really clarified.

darkman
09-21-09, 01:53 PM
well, here is the low-down. The part #88951975 is a propeller shaft center support bearing and can be replaced. The bad thing is, that it is not for the V. It is for the 6spd manual or 5sp auto for the V6 base CTS. Our transmission code is MN6 or M12 and has a completely different driveshaft (which all already knew). I just wanted to clarify what that part number actually was, since I have seen it around, but never really clarified.

That makes sense. The Service Manual does cover the CTS as well as the CTS-V, and although it often makes that distinction clear to the reader, in some places it does not.

sleepys4
09-23-09, 08:40 PM
My car is in the dealer as we speak for this noise. It happened on the way to the drag strip out of all places. Still ran! They couldn't seem to figure it out hopefully they replace my diff, then later on I will tell them that it is in fact the drive shaft(prop shaft). Thanks a lot guys!

V-Eight
09-26-09, 11:38 PM
Glad it worked out

vetteboy2k
10-05-09, 06:59 PM
I had a whine/whirring noise (almost like an electric fuel pump noise) at certain speeds that would go away when at a complete stop and would change tone only slightly based on MPH.

I suggest everyone look at the top of their windshield. There is a hard black plastic type weatherstrip running along the top and it was lifting off the actual windshield and allowing air to go under and over it causing the noise mentioned. Its like if you placed a blade of grass between your thumbs and blew air over the grass and you'd get a noise, same thing with the weatherstrip. Glue it back down and no more noise... was one of the hardest things to diagnose, b/c on a lift it would never happen (no airflow over the car) and it was intermittent on the street. Once the air lifted the plastic it would make the noise, but when coming back to a stop the plastic would fall back down on the windshield and you'd never know it!!!

kirchbed
10-05-09, 07:38 PM
...hard black plastic type weatherstrip running along the top and it was lifting off the actual windshield and allowing air to go under and over it causing the noise mentioned. Its like if you placed a blade of grass between your thumbs and blew air over the grass and you'd get a noise, same thing with the weatherstrip. Glue it back down and no more noise... was one of the hardest things to diagnose, b/c on a lift it would never happen (no airflow over the car) and it was intermittent on the street. Once the air lifted the plastic it would make the noise, but when coming back to a stop the plastic would fall back down on the windshield and you'd never know it!!!

Man, how'd you figure this one out and how long did it take? Open sunroof give you the clue?

Rich H
10-10-09, 11:43 PM
That makes 2 for 2. I had my rear carrier bearing along with the entire driveshaft replaced 3 years ago under warranty which gave a squealing metal to metal noise that took the dealer 3 trips to figure out. I also had the upper weatherstipping come partially undone this past summer on my windshield and experienced that squealing noise as well until I glued it back with some silicone adhesive. It was very audible with the sunroof open when doing 60+ mph. Easy DIY fix.

embassured
01-17-10, 08:46 PM
Not to resurrect an old thread but to simply post that I believe I'm now afflicted with this problem as well and to point the symptoms being experienced.

The V has 38K on the odometer and the sound is intermittent at this point, almost always disappears below 30mph and will vary in pitch with the speed of the car.

The sound is not affected by engagement of the transmission, clutch or brakes. It's difficult to pin point because it is a moderate to high pitch/tone but once you spaz out enough to get someone to ride in the back seat, it can pinpointed below the rear seat and/or under the back compartment's transmission tunnel.

It certainly sounds metallic, like a bearing going bad or brake pads that are almost ready to be changed - but there is NO squealing. Quite frankly, I think it sounds like a tea pot that is on the ALMOST READY to whistle at full boil.

Plan on taking it to the dealer when it is less intermittent so they can hopefully fix it on the first go-around. I've printed out the some of the posts in this thread and they've been invaluable - so my thanks to those that have gone before me and have been so kind to post their experiences.

Best,
Eric

embassured
02-03-10, 11:51 PM
A post to simply document that the dealer (on the first visit for this problem) is replacing the drive shaft.

A thanks to all that posted about this problem (and the fix) - it saved me a lot of frustration!

Eric

AngryHog
04-23-10, 10:44 AM
So just to clarify - those of us with the problem who are out of warranty are stuck replacing the whole driveshaft, correct? The bearing is not replaceable (even if the service manual suggests otherwise). So it's $700+ to correct this. Just checking, because mine is driving me insane. It's present 98% of the time now and VERY loud. There is no mistake it is coming from directly beneath the console/armrest. I took my car to have this noise fixed under warranty when I had about 50-miles left on my warranty. They tried several "fixes" before it finally went away. Well, it never really went away, it was just greatly diminished. In retrospect, I think they just greased it up so I would get out of their hair long enough for my warranty to run out (which it has). Plus, since I don't drive it daily, I'm beyond the warranty period for their repair work time-wise. So I'm basically screwed. :(

rjm27
04-27-10, 09:23 AM
Having the exact same issue here. Owned the car (2005) since 30,000 miles, it started about 55,000. Does anyone know of any alternative to a new propshaft assembly which is $900-$1000 installed??

CadiBlk
04-27-10, 09:37 AM
If you have taken it in for a warranty fix and it is documented, then you should be able to take it back in to get it corrected under the original claim. I'm not 100% the details of how to go about this, but I bet one of the forum vets could shed some light.

If this happened to me and I was out of warranty, I'd research aftermarket driveshafts to shed some weight and get rid of the two piece. My theory is, if it's broke, build it better/faster the next time.

AngryHog
04-27-10, 12:12 PM
When I took it in, I had about 30 miles left on my warranty. No joke. After they "fixed" it (3 times, mind you "motor mounts", "TSB for rear diff", "some other bearing"), the noise was considerably quieter, but not gone. Since it's largely a weekend/roadtrip car, it was quite some time later that it started to do it again. By the time I found my receipt for the warranty work they did and saw the warranty period I have on their work, I had missed the window by 3 days. Since then, I've put another 7k miles on my car and the noise is continuous. It's been about 6 months since I took it in. I'm thinking of asking the service manager NICELY to honor the original warranty work they started and fix it right. If that doesn't work, I'll get nasty and public about it. I'm not above that at all. And I write well and am quick to publish bad consumer experiences (have a father that runs a newspaper). I'll let everyone know how it goes.

-Angryhog

CadiBlk
04-27-10, 01:02 PM
I see you are in JAX. I had my driveshaft replaced at Parker Cadillac in St. Augustine. They took good care of me. Might be worth checking out.

CadiBlk
04-27-10, 01:39 PM
I guess I should add that I was under warranty. But they did go through the usual troubleshooting with my car of replacing my diff even though I told them that I was 99% sure it was the driveshaft.

AngryHog
04-27-10, 03:52 PM
Thanks, I may give that a shot. I've been dealing with the one on Blanding (near Best Buy). I work in Baymeadows, so running to St. Augustine (or the one at Southside and JTB) wouldn't be too difficult.

-Angryhog