: Increase Range for remote unlock...

anim8orCTSV
01-09-07, 03:18 AM
I did a search and I could not find anything but...

I noticed a few people saying that the range on the remote unlock is too short. I agree, it seems you need to be sitting on the hood to unlock the V.

A friend of my showed me a trick and it works really well. Take the remote and hold it under your chin and against the bone and hit the button.

I find I can unlock my car from a MUCH greater distance.

Has this already been discussed here? If so, sorry.

-Paul
anim8orCTSV

rblimas
01-09-07, 04:06 AM
I did a search and I could not find anything but...

I noticed a few people saying that the range on the remote unlock is too short. I agree, it seems you need to be sitting on the hood to unlock the V.

A friend of my showed me a trick and it works really well. Take the remote and hold it under your chin and against the bone and hit the button.

I find I can unlock my car from a MUCH greater distance.

Has this already been discussed here? If so, sorry.

-Paul
anim8orCTSV

just buy a new alarm system...i got one for my lexus now i can start my car from inside my house.

Flyin-Ryan
01-09-07, 09:16 AM
Yeah the remote is weak. I use the chin trick all the time. I had an 03 impala that had 10x the range. why would one GM be better than another??? Ohh well

lawfive
01-09-07, 09:35 AM
First V owners take it in the chin with the differential, and now this...

nickc50310
01-09-07, 09:39 AM
Ive never had a problem with mine. On my old 03 it quit working once and it was fixed by the dealer under warranty.

austin
01-09-07, 09:46 AM
>I use the chin trick all the time.

You beat me too it!! :)

The Tony Show
01-09-07, 10:24 AM
That's an ooooold car dealer's trick for locking the inventory without going out in the pouring rain. :D

thefred
01-09-07, 10:33 AM
I knew about that one too. My wife didn't believe me. She thought it was more of my nonsense. But I guess I showed her who was full of nonsense....

But, other than the "it uses the bones of your head as an amplified transmitter", does anyone know why that works?

svassh
01-09-07, 10:39 AM
:postpics:

ctsvflorida
01-09-07, 11:19 AM

Pics of what?????? Did you just want to put that prop up there? :cookoo:

Anyway, I can't believe that I never asked about this remote only working from 10 feet away! I always figured it was the remote and kept procrastinating about using my other one. Why on earth would it only work so closely and others work from 100ft away? This is a Caddy issue? That's sickening! I do the chin thing too but it is annoying! Bottom line is...the remotes are CHIN-SY! :histeric:

turbocad6
01-09-07, 11:46 AM
I figure everyone knows that chin trick... sometimes you can also place the remote up to a lightpole or a metal doorframe for even more range than the chin

sometimes a remote like this can get pressed in a pocket for a good long time acidently & really drain the little cell inside... range will go down drastically.... I would always try a new battery before condeming the system...

to really increase the range & usability you may want to consider an aftermarket 2 way alarm... the spread spectrums are the best range & you can start it for blocks & blocks.... but you have a good chance of having the car butchered fro an install like this too, depending on who does it & how cheap you try to do it... this is definatley not an area that you want to shop for best price....

svassh
01-09-07, 12:29 PM
Pics of what?????? Did you just want to put that prop up there?

I want a pic of one of you door knobs performing this manuever. :canttalk:

Rey Rey 650
01-09-07, 12:41 PM
Chin trick? Are you guys kidding? How in the hell would that increase the range?

heavy footed
01-09-07, 01:03 PM
I actually had the viper 791xv two way alarm installed on my car yesterday
I love it! it is pricey to get installed correctly but well worth it.
I can start my car and roll the windows up and down, pop the trunk and recieve alert pages all via a little remote with lcd screen.
I never realized how much piece of mind that I have know, and knowing my car is safe wherever I parked it. me and the wifey went to chilli's last night and when we were paying the bill I started my car with the remote, well it was cold outside and when we got to the car it was nice and toasty inside.
best investment so far on the car. plus the range is 1/4 mi away !
in my opinion it's the best alarm out there, period.
oh and that chin trick definently works:)

CIWS
01-09-07, 01:15 PM
Great so in 5 years I'll start reading headlines that say..

"Dramatic rise in the occurrence of of Cancerous tumors in the chins of Cadillac owners"

:D

Rey Rey 650
01-09-07, 02:10 PM
I actually had the viper 791xv two way alarm installed on my car yesterday
I love it! it is pricey to get installed correctly but well worth it.
I can start my car and roll the windows up and down, pop the trunk and recieve alert pages all via a little remote with lcd screen.
I never realized how much piece of mind that I have know, and knowing my car is safe wherever I parked it. me and the wifey went to chilli's last night and when we were paying the bill I started my car with the remote, well it was cold outside and when we got to the car it was nice and toasty inside.
best investment so far on the car. plus the range is 1/4 mi away !
in my opinion it's the best alarm out there, period.
oh and that chin trick definently works:)

Heavy Footed- What alarm did you buy? Im thinking about buying an alarm...Dont know if its really worth it though

urbanski
01-09-07, 02:23 PM
Chin trick? Are you guys kidding? How in the hell would that increase the range?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n201/therealurbanski/legendhenningbs5.jpg

turbocad6
01-09-07, 02:45 PM
the 791xv is a decent alarm, but it is only fm... the 1/4 mile range is best case open field.... clifford (also dei) now has a spread spectrum fm unit which does almost 4 times the range...... then theres the compustar 2wss-as, which was the first spread spectrum (& still the best in my opinion)...

the install is way more important than the system used....

Flyin-Ryan
01-09-07, 02:54 PM
Great so in 5 years I'll start reading headlines that say..
"Dramatic rise in the occurrence of of Cancerous tumors in the chins of Cadillac owners"
:D

Thats funny. I've done that since I started driving and I actually did have cancer for 3 years. In my chest not chin though :yup:

Froggy
01-09-07, 03:13 PM
The looks that you get when you tell someone about the chin trick is interesting. People look at you like you're crazy. Then they try it themselves and get excited about it.

svassh
01-09-07, 03:24 PM
Still:

thefred
01-09-07, 03:26 PM
So....any rocket scientists or engineers on here......why does it work?

heavy footed
01-09-07, 04:18 PM
power of sudgestion!

dvandentop
01-09-07, 04:21 PM
LOL so send it in to mythbusters!

BadCad
01-09-07, 05:06 PM
Works best if you're empty-headed. Range improves dramatically with blondes :D

heavy footed
01-09-07, 05:50 PM
your right,that's a good one for myth busters hahahahahahahahaha

Jschmank
01-09-07, 10:03 PM
I would like to meet the guy who first figured this out. What the hell could he have been doing??
Another trick is to flap you arms like a chicken while walking in circles just before pushing the remote...

turbocad6
01-09-07, 10:15 PM
I usually hold my other arm up to get just a little more range:D

thefred
01-10-07, 10:34 AM
Fine, I'll do my own research....

From Discovery Channel.....Most people who know about this trick put the remote up against their chin while pushing the button. But, in fact, any body part will do. You can shoot from the hip, or pretend that your arm is bionic. Regardless of where you press the remote against yourself, a push of the button sends the signal inside your body, which acts as a giant aerial, and transmits the signal about twice as far as it would normally go. It's a handy trick to know about the next time your car is beyond your remote's reach.

lawfive
01-10-07, 11:13 AM
If you have hiccups, bite down on a pencil and drink a glass of water around it. Works every damn time.

mlg
01-10-07, 01:08 PM
this WORKS, touch fob to your carotid atery in your neck, (the pulsing one u can feel on either side of your adams apple) ,and simultaneously press the button. range is better as the antenna is coupled to your entire blood stream thus increasing the antennas power.

lawfive
01-10-07, 02:20 PM
If you activate your keyfob while pressing it against a cellular repeater antenna, you can unlock all CTS and CTS-V vehicles within a 20 mile radius.

svassh
01-10-07, 02:21 PM
blood stream thus increasing the antennas power.

So then your :canttalk: is the antenna now I get it. Some people have larger antennas and more blood flow so their range is longer.

lawfive
01-10-07, 02:26 PM
If my wife unlocks the V using her head as the antenna, will it switch the V over to her personalization settings? I'm afraid to test it...

Flyin-Ryan
01-10-07, 04:43 PM
I just submitted it to mythbusters :)

urbanski
01-10-07, 05:34 PM
i just used depleted uranium shrapenel for my FOB battery, damn thing works 1 mile away

lawfive
01-10-07, 05:53 PM
i just used depleted uranium shrapenel for my FOB battery, damn thing works 1 mile away

Urby,

I tried that. How did you keep it from interfering with the radio?

BTW, be careful. That shit is bad for your ovaries.

CIWS
01-10-07, 05:56 PM
I just hold it near my Tin Foil hat and the Space Aliens retransmit the signal for me via subspace. :thumbsup:

Autom8r
01-10-07, 07:14 PM
I absolutely KNEW all you guys were TOTALLY WHACKED OUT claiming to increase the keyfob remote range by touching it to your chin till I just tried it!!!!!

Learn sumpin' new every day. I'm pretty satisfied with the short range tho' but this might help when I lose my car in a parking lot....

Dave