: newbie introduction / question.

murrayII
01-09-07, 12:40 AM
Hey everyone, hows it going?

Im new to this board, I have an 85 RWD Fleetwood.. Its in decent shape.. I bought it for $400 dollars, and I have about that much in it on top of that. The body is pretty straight.. some surface rust, and some faded paint.. but she runs well, and I'm starting to fix the ol' girl up.

I have a question.. I hope I'm not going to get yelled because I'm sure its probably been asked 1000 times.. but I'm striking out on the search because I'm not sure what you call the plastic fillers pieces right before the taillights...

you know the piece thats right after the body stops, and then there is that filler, and then there are the tails... Anybody know where to score those new?

I would go to a junkyard, but im afraid ill just be getting a set that hasn't cracked yet... even in "good" condition.. they have still been out in the elements for 22 years...

I would like some nice NEW ones..

Other then that, I have been enjoying the different forums.. you all sure do know your caddies!

I am a certified car nut.. I must be on about 12 different forums, with 5 different cars..

currently in the stable..

89 honda crx
90 honda hatch
86 chevy astrovan
01 izusu rodeo
85 cadillac fleetwood.

the hondas will hopefully be SOLD this Friday.. at 33 I'm starting to get out of my "hot rod" days... don't laugh.. I'm young enough that those cars can be considered hot rods for MY generation.. and the one coming behind me..

Besides.. a 13sec. 1/4 mile pass with a 4 cylinder hatch is pretty sweet.. I don't care who you are..

well.. hope to make some new friends, and gain alot of knowledge.

Thanks

Murray

My_favorite_Brougham
01-09-07, 12:58 AM
First off, welcome to the forum. And those thing-a-ma-bobs you're looking for are usually referred to as rear bumper fillers. You can find some newer rubbery ones on eBay, either by themselves, or in a "bumper filler kit" which includes the front ones, too. Some sweeze in because they're flexible and some require that you remove the whole bumber. Only problem is you'd have to paint them. Good luck the with the resto; show some pics if you can. :)

Benzilla
Welcome to the forum, interesting collection lol. You should post some pics of your Fleetwood. About your question, their usually called bumper fillers. For new ones, try eBay if you want a deal. or a lot of people like www.bumperfillers.com I believe the name of the place is. Another great place to get those, and tons of other parts for your caddy is www.cadillacville.com

Hope that helps :)

Benzilla
haha, we posted at the same time.

My_favorite_Brougham
01-09-07, 01:01 AM
Oh my, we certainly did! It's what I call stayin' up late, "Cadillac-ing" on the forums, because I've nothing else to do.

davesdeville
01-09-07, 01:23 AM
Welcome. I will ignore the 13 second "fast" Honda.. Like benzilla said eBay is a good place to find the new bumper fillers without paying too much.

murrayII
01-11-07, 11:11 PM
I will ignore the 13 second "fast" Honda.

Yeah yeah yeah.. sit back for a moment and realize, that a 18-20 second japanese shitbox is running a low 13, and handing alot of other cars their asses.. and you have to give it a little respect...

Hey guys.. thanks for the links.. I knew I would find some answers on here..

I need to get a digital camera finally.. instead of borrowing my friends.. I will try to get some pictures of it on here sooner or later...

Shes not much to look at yet.. but im making a little progress.. I want to make sure it is mechanically sound first, before I get into making it shine again..

thanks again

Murray

mlj427
01-13-07, 01:16 PM
Hello
I have a related question when I looked on ebay they have fiberglass, plastic,and some that don't say. Which one is best?
Thanks
mlj427

Benzilla
01-13-07, 10:49 PM
Technically, ABS plastic is the best. High quality plastic like that used on new cars, you can't go wrong there.

However I have personal experience with the fiberglass ones, and I like them very much. They look great and last just as long. The only problem is that some companies don't put very much effort into making sure they fit perfectly, I've heard some complaints about the fitment of the fiberglass replacements for the 1977-1979 full size Cadillacs, but I like the set I got for my '83.

mlj427
01-13-07, 10:55 PM
Hello
I have an 83 coupe deville, if you don't mind who did you get them from?
Thanks
mlj427

Benzilla
01-13-07, 11:09 PM
I don't remember exactly what the guy's name was, but I got them on eBay as a whole set of front and rear. At that time they were buy it now for $100. I think they've gone up since then.

Benzilla
01-13-07, 11:34 PM
It was these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-1992-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-FLEETWOOD-BUMPER-FILLERS_W0QQitemZ250071200708QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33 640QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem