: Would you buy this car?

Richard Carver
01-08-07, 08:28 PM
I'm about to trade my 2001 RX300 with 54K for an '04 SRX with 43K. The car is a one owner with a clean carfax but there is no possibility of getting it certified unless I can just wander into my local dealership and do it as I would be buying it from a non-Cadillac dealer.

They want 18,500 for the car which seems a reasonable price, it's a base model with the towing package (anyone know what that includes?) and it's a RWD V6.

I'm sick of the Lexus (after 3 months) and I think I could learn to love this SRX. :)

c5 rv
01-08-07, 08:32 PM
Welcome. What's wrong with the Lexus? If I were buying an 04 (1st year out), I'd want to get a CPO.

Richard Carver
01-08-07, 09:18 PM
Can I get it certified at any dealer? How does that work? The Lexus is a fine automobile, no trouble at all, it just has the charisma of a toaster. This is my first Japanese car and it's creeping me out, it has no soul if you know what I mean.

Richard Carver
01-08-07, 09:25 PM
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/799/nf8dm1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

robhersch
01-09-07, 06:25 AM
Basic Cad warranty is 48 mo/ 50000 mi. For ANY USED AUTO: 1) I would need to review ALL OWNER/ VEHICLE HISTORY records to ensure proper maintenance and recall services; 2) get a GM extended warranty (if possible or maybe a seller or third party warranty??) that would cover engine, trans, differential, computers for a minimum of 2 addl years (or ?? miles based on your expectations); 3) include any extra warranty cost as part of your purchase price and then check "total purchase price" vs a GM "certified" 100,000 mi/ 6 yr vehicle; 4) your risk could be significant repair costs!!
I ordered my 2005 V8 RWD with tow package (for the extra engine & extra trans cooling capacity - not including a hitch); it increases tow capacity from 1000# to 4200#; mine has 2 electric fans + a belt driven fan + a supplementary trans cooler; my tow packages on previous autos also had heavy duty radiators with increased fin density - but unable to confirm this on SRX; I have found no high temp/ over heating issues while driving in Las Vegas heavy slow traffic at 117 deg outside temp.

afg350ci
01-09-07, 07:43 AM
Richard, I believe that you can still buy the extended warranty from Cadillac as long as the 2004 is stil under factory warranty, which it is. I would find out the price of the extended warranty if I were you. It's more about piece of mind. Other than that, there have been no significant mechanical changes to the V6 SRX since 2004. You would be getting the same car. As for recalls, all you have to do is check with your local dealer and make sure that they have all been performed. Recalls are performed for free and with no limit on time. If they haven't been done, you can get them done yourself. I have a 2005 V6 SRX RWD, and from what I can remember, the only recall that I received was something due to the radio.

TSS
01-09-07, 07:59 AM
it has no soul if you know what I mean.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! You will "connect" with the SRX.

c5 rv
01-09-07, 09:06 AM
GMPP extended warranties and Cadillac CPO are different beasts. GMPP has a deductable and replaces your factory warranty for the number of months and miles that you purchase. For example, if you buy a 36 month / 30K warranty, it starts from the day you purchase the warranty. If the car has 43K on it, the warranty will run for three years or until your reach 73K, whichever comes first. It will not simply add 36 months / 30K to the end of your factory warranty. (This is how it was explained to me by a GMPP sales person.)

If you buy Cadillac CPO, I understand that it's like the original factory warranty is extended from 50K to 100K and the length of coverage is extended from 48 months to 60 months. Dealer cost for CPO costs less than discounted GMPP coverage, however the dealer will expect to make a profit on the expense of adding the CPO coverage.

KMO
01-09-07, 01:33 PM
The "towing" or utility package includes the third row seat and a tranny cooler.

KMO
01-09-07, 01:34 PM
Buy an extended warranty... I recommend AAA in your situation... you will save a bit over GMPP.

c5 rv
01-09-07, 03:38 PM
The "towing" or utility package includes the third row seat and a tranny cooler.

I don't know if the towing package included the 3rd row seat until 2006. I think they were separate options and then grouped together in 06. However, I may be mistaken.

robhersch
01-09-07, 11:12 PM
2004 & 2005 SRX listed the "trailering" option with HD cooling and trailer wiring as: 1) available on V6 when you purchase the "Luxury Package"; 2) available on standard V8 ("trailering" option (V92) was addl $250); 3) standard V8 included the "Luxury Package". Neither reqd third seat. 2006 ??
2007 SRX seemed to "bundle" the HD cooling, the trailering, and the third seat into a "Utility Pkg" as available on either V6 or V8

c5 rv
01-10-07, 08:30 AM
The bundling of the 3rd seat and the trailering pkg into the utility package was there in 2006. I originally wanted to get an 06 AWD V8 with a trailer package to replace both of my daily drivers, but learned that the (to me) useless 3rd seat came along for the ride. Plus, the local dealers seemed to add the utility pkg to all V8 units they ordered.

Smokin' SRX
01-10-07, 10:00 AM
Yes, A good friend of mine dies in a Toyota/Lexus..............of BOREDOM!
Gert the "04 (I have one!) but get a GOOD Warranty! All hi-tech autos today require a 2nd mortgage to fix almost anything! Fololow the previous advice to get a GM or CPO warranty ONLY! I was burned by a private insurance warranty (sold at the dealer!) when I needed it and they went "bust".! Dealer said "sorry".........I almost went to jail!
Good luck!!