: what size

creeker
01-08-07, 05:56 PM
what size engine does a 1984 fltwd. have?. there seems to be a lot of different engines in the early 80s. tnx

carnut
01-08-07, 08:01 PM
4.1 Liter. 250 Cu. In.

creeker
01-08-07, 08:08 PM
4.1 Liter. 250 Cu. In.

Thanks,thats what I thought but didn't want to believe it,theres a real nice
84 for sale,tan on tan,super clean.I think I'll pass on it though.He's asking
$1000.00 cdn. o.b.o.. sounds like he's in a bind for money.

Destroyer
01-08-07, 11:54 PM
Thanks,thats what I thought but didn't want to believe it,theres a real nice
84 for sale,tan on tan,super clean.I think I'll pass on it though.Good move. I always see super clean 4.1 Fleetwoods around, probably cause they broke down early on and were kept in garages till someone fixed them years later. :histeric:

creeker
01-09-07, 12:01 AM
Good move. I always see super clean 4.1 Fleetwoods around, probably cause they broke down early on and were kept in garages till someone fixed them years later. :histeric:

Yeh, your right,ever notice how many 4.1s there are for sale that read new motor and trans.?.and they dont have that many miles on them.

Benzilla
01-09-07, 12:04 AM
lol, hey, the HT4100 isn't a bad engine if you don't beat the living hell out of it. Just accept that it's slow, and get over it if you like the car. I love my white '83 Coupe because it's an awesome car no matter what engine it has in it. Big, classy, smooth, and eye catching. Don't worry about speed in these cars, save that for the big blocks and Northstars. My HT4100 runs beautifully, never one problem.

davesdeville
01-09-07, 12:25 AM
An HT4100 is a good motor, good enough to get you home to the garage where you can replace it.

Benzilla
01-09-07, 12:53 AM
I could give a shit what engine that car has, if I want power I can just take one of my other caddies. If I just want a nice relaxing cruise in a sharp car I take the '83. It runs perfectly, and has 49,000 original, so nothing to complain about here.

davesdeville
01-10-07, 06:22 AM
Well, keep drivin her, and know that you're the exception to the rule.

Rick186
01-10-07, 08:34 PM
Ben:
What's your Oil change schedule? (Note my earlier post about the Mopar V-6. A damn good motor, VERY FAST, but got a bum rap when nobody changed the oil.)
I'm asking because I'm still snooping for a coupe like that for the wife.

Benzilla
01-10-07, 09:20 PM
I change it every 2,000 miles, or every year, which ever comes first. I don't drive it that much. She's about to hit 50,000 and I'm trying to hold that off.

Rick186
01-10-07, 09:37 PM
That's what I figured. If you don't crap in the oil fill hole and actually have the common sense to use a decent oil, that 4100 will do what's asked of it.
I can only hope I can find a decent CDV with a 4100 that had the care you gave yours. Otherwise I have been surprised to see that long blocks aren't really as bad as many other motors ( dollar wise ) to replace.
And that's saying a helluva lot considering so many people see the word CADILLAC and think you're a member of the Rockefeller or Kennedy clan with $$$ to light up your big, fat seegars.
As for me, however, I gotta say the Cadillac dealer in Torrington, CT has - so far, anyway - played it damn straight with me. Even his flat rate beats the local flat rate in the Hartford area. They even beat the flat rate time when he put in that Stage II 4L60E HydraMatic that Shane Cobb shipped up to them.

Benzilla
01-10-07, 09:40 PM
Right, and also, it helps if you put in coolant pellets, the aluminum engine uses them to prevent leaks, your Cadillac dealer will know about them.

Rick186
01-10-07, 09:54 PM
Got 'em.
I already used them in my '95 with the LT-1 (see post about anti-freeze)
But I still have to laugh about what the pellets are made of:
>Ginger
>Almond Shell
>Turmeric -CAS 458-37-7 (Wot the hell is that? I know what Turmeric is, my wife has it in the spice cabinet, but what's the CAS thing?)
>Sal Soda (Which is a weak Sodium Hydroxide solution, like the old fashioned washing soda)
And if the 4100 is ALL aluminum, there should - theoretically - be less corrosion and/or galvanic action within the motor than aluminum heads and iron block or vice versa. Plus, if the radiator core is aluminum, so much the better, too since all the metals are about the same on the galvanic scale and shouldn't give any problems trying to make a battery.
As an example of what COULD happen, try this:
Go get a nice, fresh LEMON,
Stick a PENNY in a cut in that lemon about halfway into that lemon.
Do likewise with a DIME, about 1/2 inch from where you stuck the PENNY.
You should get a tiny SHOCK when you touch the two coins with your tongue since YOU HAVE JUST MADE A BATTERY!
We can all thank Mr. Galvani for that. But it's that kind of condition that wreaks havoc inside our motors when two metals of differing galvanic potential are not toned down and the coolant acts as an electrolyte, just as battery acid does its thing inside a battery and lemon juice does it's thing in the silly battery, above.

davesdeville
01-13-07, 04:56 AM
The CAS number is a number the Chemical Abstracts Service assigns to a certain chemical. Since chemicals often go by multiple names, a CAS number is an easier way to ID a chem.

Rick186
01-13-07, 08:26 PM
davesdeville -
Thanks!
How obvious! Like a guy I knew would say: "Gee I'm glad I thought of that." Just call me dummy. :banghead:
(My father used to translate for Chem Abstracts Service!)