: Purge Flow Problem

jholland
01-08-07, 05:22 PM
I'm getting a P 0441 "Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow " I checked the lines at the engine. Did I see something awhile back were the fuel fill hose can be the problem? The car just passed a PA Annual emission and I believe they check the gas cap as part of that inspection. The engine idles very smooth on startup but wants to surge 100 rpms or so after its been running for a half hour or more. I'm looking for the simple and obvious things to check first.

Ranger
01-08-07, 05:53 PM
You passed the emission test because this fault was not present. You would not pass today. That said, I am not sure what the problem is. Have you checked all the vacuum lines to and from the purge valve?

FrankT
01-08-07, 06:22 PM
I’m surprised you passed the state emission test with a P0441.
I would test the purge flow solenoid valve and the purge vacuum switch in the engine compartment one of them is sticking and not allowing vacuum to flow to the charcoal canister at the rear of car. You can jumper power to the purge solenoid to see if it flows vacuum when ON. The switch is another story do not jumper power to the switch, it can be damaged. The circuit is current limited. Diagnosis might be a little tough without a Tech2 and an FSM. It sounds like you have already checked power and grounds at these two components. If you verified the circuits are good and the vacuum lines are all hooked up and not leaking then these two components highly suspected.

One more thing once you find the faulty component lightly tap it on a hard surface.
Check for the release of charcoal from either component. If charcoal contamination is present replace the EVAP Vapor canister, EVAP Purge solenoid, EVAP Vacuum switch and clean the EVAP purge hoses.
Good luck
Frank

Cortezc
06-05-07, 03:37 AM
Hi Frank, buddy, you are the first I have ran into that had the knowledge I need.... I have a similar problem that you just outlined on this post and since it is so old you may not read this but I am hoping.
I don't know where the Canister purge line hooks up --- on my (4.6) the canister line is not connected... the vac sw has two ports for sure and a third that is a facsimilie I think...the small port at the base of the electric connector socket loops to the bottom port (where there is a tee) on the Solenoid and the tee then loops back to the larger port on the Switch making what appears to me to be a sensless loop??? then the upper port on the Solenoid connects to the manifold --- seemingly the vacuum sorce.... So where is the purge from the canister supposed to connect? -- the bottom port (where the tee is on mine) of the solenoid has "CAN" stamped vertically on it and I have to believe that is where the purge from the can should go...but how does the others route??? I have Helms and they simply do not show enough detail on this....

Nicalaine
08-10-07, 05:23 PM
215-181 - Evaporator Emission Canister (Vapor Canister)
Cross Reference for GM Part Number: 17113332
We tried blowing out the old canister, but it doesn't work---SO you have to buy a new one. We live on 21 miles of gravel road, so you can imagine how often we have to replace it---at at least $100 a pop! GRRRR

FrankT
08-10-07, 09:21 PM
Hi Frank, buddy, you are the first I have ran into that had the knowledge I need.... I have a similar problem that you just outlined on this post and since it is so old you may not read this but I am hoping.
I don't know where the Canister purge line hooks up --- on my (4.6) the canister line is not connected... the vac sw has two ports for sure and a third that is a facsimilie I think...the small port at the base of the electric connector socket loops to the bottom port (where there is a tee) on the Solenoid and the tee then loops back to the larger port on the Switch making what appears to me to be a sensless loop??? then the upper port on the Solenoid connects to the manifold --- seemingly the vacuum sorce.... So where is the purge from the canister supposed to connect? -- the bottom port (where the tee is on mine) of the solenoid has "CAN" stamped vertically on it and I have to believe that is where the purge from the can should go...but how does the others route??? I have Helms and they simply do not show enough detail on this....

Cortezc.
I think I understand what you are saying and yes it sounds like somebody has misrouted your evap lines. I will try to help.

You are correct in saying the CAN should go to the Canister. The purge solenoid should go to manifold vacuum as you stated which comes from the vacuum switch hose to the purge solenoid, the other end goes to the evap canister that is located under the rear of vehicle by the gas tank.

My background with GM products goes from 2000 to 2008+. So, I don't know too much before that era in which you need help with.

I hope this helps.

Ranger
08-11-07, 02:17 PM
215-181 - Evaporator Emission Canister (Vapor Canister)
Cross Reference for GM Part Number: 17113332
We tried blowing out the old canister, but it doesn't work---SO you have to buy a new one. We live on 21 miles of gravel road, so you can imagine how often we have to replace it---at at least $100 a pop! GRRRR
The EVAP system is sealed. The canister collects gas tank vapors and burns them on start up. No outside air, dust or dirt from a gravel road gets into it.