: Adjustable air shocks on eBay - should I? Please read!!

Benzilla
01-07-07, 11:30 PM
So, I was just looking for a rear bumper for junkman, and i happened to see these, a set of Gabriel adjustable air shocks for really cheap. I have been half planning on getting a set of Monroe adjustable rear shocks, so I was wondering if it would be okay to go with these. I've heard Monroe is better quality, but their about $75.00 each. So at $50.00 a set for these, would it be worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-shocks-shock-absorbers-77-96-Cadillac-RWD_W0QQitemZ110076073592QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33590Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please note: The reason I want adjustable rear shocks is because the rear of my 1979 CDV sits about 1.5" higher than I'd like, and the rear rides very firm. so I thought adjustable shocks would be a good choice so I can lower the rear, yet get more pressure when I have people in back. I was told that these would lower my car, that's why I want them, not for hauling extremely heavy loads. Will these lower my rear end if run at low air pressure? I don't want to buy new shocks and still have to get shorter springs.

Please advise,
Ben.

Benzilla
01-08-07, 01:03 AM
come on guys... every time I bring this up I get ignored. :(

The Ape Man
01-08-07, 08:04 AM
The idea will work just fine but you will have to change the rear springs to something lighter. Tried and true method. Use wimpy springs and a few pounds in the shocks all the time, a few more when carrying stuff. This is much better than ruining the ride with "cargo coils".

Benzilla
01-08-07, 01:57 PM
Alright, what springs to you suggest? I was told maybe a set of stock impala SS springs would lower it about 1.5". is this true?

brougham
01-08-07, 02:38 PM
It depends on what springs you have now. Maybe if you goto a spring shop and tell them what you want to do they might be able to figure out what springs would work for it.

Benzilla
01-08-07, 03:08 PM
Right now I assume the springs are stock, but I'm starting to wonder if their the heavy duty kind because its STIFF when I go over a speed bump it's almost as if there's wood blocks back there instead of springs. However that could also be stiff shocks couldn't it? I'd go look under it, but right now it's at Paul's getting some carb. tuning.

Benzilla
01-09-07, 05:29 PM
I'm back - and I bring pictures! Here's my current rear suspension setup. Can anybody tell me if I have heavy duty springs or stock? To me, they look stock... then again I'm really not a suspension guy, so I'm not sure.

If I have stock springs, can I just get the adjustable shocks? The lowering I want is no more than what I see these cars sag to with original suspension, so I shouldn't have to replace the springs right?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0900.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0901.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0903.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0906.jpg

brougham
01-09-07, 05:45 PM
Well those coil over shocks arent stock. Even if you just get rid of those it might lower it to where you want it. But yeah if the springs you have now will let it lower to where you want it you can just put the air shocks on it or you could even just put normal shocks on it.

Benzilla
01-09-07, 05:53 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought. So the shocks are why it's so damn hard, huh...

So then I can just get the adjustable shocks? Awesome! I'd go with regular shocks, but if I can get adjustable ones for that cheap, I'm going for it haha.

Thanks brougham.

brougham
01-09-07, 08:29 PM
Youre welcome. It might be because of the springs too but at least you can change the shocks and see what that does first. Those springs dont look too old so they might have been changed before too. What do they look like compared to your other coupe?

The Ape Man
01-09-07, 09:07 PM
Scrap the coil over shocks. Those black springs look like replacements to me.

Benzilla
01-09-07, 10:28 PM
Yeah, the shocks are coming out, forget about it. I guess I'm getting adjustable ones. I'll talk to Paul the mechanic about it soon. I might just have him order some Monroe's.

I hope that fixes this whole thing. So the springs are replacement, but correct for original, right?

zonie77
01-12-07, 12:39 AM
Those look like the old load leveler schocks. They were stiffer and with the extra spring would raise the car when the trunk was empty, keep it level when full of luggage. They were not factory but an aftermarket item.

Try a set of stock replacement shocks and see how you like it.

Benzilla
01-12-07, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the info, I would go with an original set, but I'd also like to be able to adjust the height a little, so I'm getting a set of Monroe air shocks.

BTW, update for anybody who wants it. I took it in for a couple of quotes on paint, and I'll be getting it done this spring! Also, a guy on Sweden offered to buy it from one if the websites I have it on, apparently he's a collector and wants a nice Phaeton. I turned him down.

I'm taking it in to my mechanic for some brake work today, so I'll ask him about the shocks.