: Hotchkis collars and brackets install question..

austin
01-07-07, 06:10 PM
Ok, finaly got the time to add the reinforced hotchkis brackets and collars. As another member pointed out... you need to first swap over your grease fitttings from your original brackets as they are angled... the new brackets come with fittings that are straight up/down with no chance of getting a grease gun on them. Ok, now the PITA part, putting the collars on and getting the wrench in there took some time.... You need to find that one happy angle for both.

The main reason for this post is that i could not get the collars to sit tight togeather on one side. One side has about a 20th gap on the feeler guage. I can't tighten it up any further as i think it will break... So, is this small collar gap on one side normal? I also put a circle of black rtv silicone around the backside of the collar, as an additional measure.

I will give you guys one important additional tip though!!! Take a rag with carb spray on it and clean the grease off the swaybar before mounting the collars.. Don't forget, before the collars, the bar was sliding left/right carrying the grease from the rubber mount with it. Failure to do so, will surely cause them to slide at some point. :)

calicadi
01-07-07, 09:17 PM
Do you mean the gap between collar halves?

Here's an old pic from before moving the collars inboard of the brackets. You can see a slight gap between halves. After moving mine inboard I don't recall being able to see a gap because they were pretty well hidden by the brackets. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a small gap regardless inboard or outboard mounting. I think as long as the collar halves are relatively equal and the screws are equally snug it won't walk.

austin
01-07-07, 09:43 PM
yes, exactly. i have a small gap there, it's larger than the one on the other side. i tried them outboard at first as well. but they didn't sit right. they have to be inboard. You should get the new reinforced brackets.. Mine were twisted when i removed them.

Flyin-Ryan
01-08-07, 07:31 AM
They just sent me the collars and the new brakets. What type of grease should I buy? Im sure it would be best to re-lube them while I have them off.

austin
01-08-07, 09:04 AM
I'm useing the mobile-1 synthetic grease. It's good stuff. :)

Flyin-Ryan
01-08-07, 10:35 AM
You put mobile 1 on the bushings?

austin
01-08-07, 11:35 AM
Mobile-1 synthetic grease, not oil! :)

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_Grease.aspx

Flyin-Ryan
01-08-07, 11:41 AM
Mobile-1 synthetic grease, not oil! :)

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_Grease.aspx

Ah HA! Got ya. Thanks :)

trekster
01-08-07, 01:14 PM
Is it worth getting the hotchikis kit or is there still problems with it?

rand49er
01-08-07, 03:04 PM
Is it worth getting the hotchikis kit or is there still problems with it?Uh-huh. :yup: