: Feb. Motor Trend Mag

Silver Dollar
01-06-07, 08:00 PM
Page 19 and 20 has several features of interest to us.

Talks about the replacement motor for the Northstar that can displace up to 6.0 liters which exceeds the current 5.3 limit. Says it will be a 2x OHC design with variable valve timing. No mention of power output. Looks like good news for the STS folks.

Mentions the new CTS design and quotes insiders as "raving over it's cool, confident styling and upscale interior".

Finally, the CTS-V is said to have a supercharged version of the corvette SS's engine making something between 550 and 600 hp with a wider track than the CTS due to fat tires and fender flairs.

Albertan
01-06-07, 08:06 PM
Very interesting. Only question then is what mods can one do to it????
Bruce

rand49er
01-06-07, 08:23 PM
... the CTS-V is said to have a supercharged version of the corvette SS's engine making something between 550 and 600 hp with a wider track than the CTS due to fat tires and fender flairs.Well, it's either that or start saving for a maggie for me. :D

Florian
01-06-07, 09:17 PM
Finally, the CTS-V is said to have a supercharged version of the corvette SS's engine making something between 550 and 600 hp with a wider track than the CTS due to fat tires and fender flairs.

Not a chance....the bullshit is shoulder deep...:bsflag:

F

Silver Dollar
01-06-07, 10:45 PM
I'm sure like likelyhood is that it's all B.S., however, it seems every press report had stated power numbers in the 550-600 range.

HiTechRV
01-07-07, 12:57 AM
I very much doubt the next CTS V will even make 500 hp. Now if there is ALSO a super V, no idea where it would hit the hp scales.

Florian
01-07-07, 01:50 AM
I'm sure like likelyhood is that it's all B.S., however, it seems every press report had stated power numbers in the 550-600 range.

No way the V makes more than the Vette, period. GM will NEVER let that happen.

F

Loadtoad
01-07-07, 04:13 AM

F
Take note of the XLR-V and STS-V's HP numbers. Maybe you are talking about the Z06 HP numbers and if that's the case then there is the Blue Devil.

CIWS
01-07-07, 08:54 AM

F

Don't see why they wouldn't, but then they would have to charge how much for it, 100K + ? Just means I won't own one :)

rand49er
01-07-07, 09:45 AM

***reed.

My dad was a product engineer at Pontiac. During the early sixties when Pontiac was working on a two-seat type sports car (later to become the four-seat Firebird), he told me the Chevy guys were furious (there was quite a rivalry at the time) and would absolutely NOT allow it. In fact, they wanted a version of it, too, and the Camaro was born. I think this attitude/policy/whatever still reigns today within GM/Chevy.

Florian
01-07-07, 02:05 PM
Take note of the XLR-V and STS-V's HP numbers. Maybe you are talking about the Z06 HP numbers and if that's the case then there is the Blue Devil.

Sure, but remember they are different engines....you wont see better HP numbers from similar N/A pushrod engines (LSx based) at all. The Corvette rules the roost, plain and simple.

F

Albertan
01-07-07, 02:16 PM
Since we are talking about engines. How much longer will the GM pushrod engine be developed? DOHC engines do seem to rev easier and higher without stress. My 3.6 CTS really seems to rev effortlessly. Of course the V revs so quickly it's like all hell breaking loose. I was just listening to a Honda commercial on the radio and they were talking about (and playing the sound) of the IVtec motor reving to 8 grand. (seemed to me to take a lllooonnnggg time) So where is the practical limit of the pushrod engine for street use?
Bruce

lawfive
01-07-07, 04:20 PM
I surely don't know what's coming in the new V, but I do know two things:
If they put a Z07/SS motor in the V, it'll still be slower than the ZO7/SS.
If I were Bob Lutz, the only adamantine rule that would be driving me right now is, "Do whatever will make money."

HiTechRV
01-07-07, 11:05 PM
When the V came out it was a tenth quicker than my vette, but the C6 came out at 4.3 and fixed it. I just do not see a regular CTS-V being quicker than a manual vette. The V's are halo cars - they do not make significant money. They drive press coverage and sales of their non-V siblings.

DgtalPimp
01-10-07, 12:46 PM
One other interesting thing in the Feb Motor Trend mag. They have a contest where you can win a ride in a real F1 car.
:burn:

I went to the motortrend.com site and it is real, all expense paid European trip and you drive an F1 car!.
:jawdrop:

Dgtal

lawfive
01-10-07, 02:24 PM
Dgtal!! Long time, buddy!!

The Vs are maybe halo cars now, but if they keep the price 'reasonable' while upping the HP and offering an automatic as an option, look out.

DgtalPimp
01-10-07, 07:50 PM
Long time Law.

Work has been keeping me busy.

Hows life?

lawfive
01-10-07, 08:02 PM
All good here, dude. Work is work. On my 2nd nav, 2nd tranny, 3rd diff.

Happy New Year!

HiTechRV
01-10-07, 09:12 PM
Since we are talking about engines. How much longer will the GM pushrod engine be developed?

As long as there are GM muscle cars? Pushrod AKA OHV engines are more packaging efficient than 4V engines. Try fitting a powerful 4V into the CTS. With all the modern technology they make amazing power per packaging volume. Try souping up a 4V - I have - wanna buy *4* cams??? I don't. At this point every important technology has been translated into OHV including VVT, which few would have belived not long ago. and they are easier to modify and repair.

Long live the push rod!

DgtalPimp
01-12-07, 03:21 PM
All good here, dude. Work is work. On my 2nd nav, 2nd tranny, 3rd diff.

Happy New Year!
2nd Nav, 3rd Diff, 1st tranny (but would like to catch up with Law). :histeric:

lawfive
01-12-07, 07:06 PM
Best hurry, I'm starting to see flecks of white in my nav buttons...

hd750
01-13-07, 08:16 PM

F

Forian, remember wen we at Mallet and Chuck was talking about the Solstice and he said that GM would not let it be faster than the Vette?

Florian
01-14-07, 12:46 PM
Forian, remember wen we at Mallet and Chuck was talking about the Solstice and he said that GM would not let it be faster than the Vette?

HD, its been a while since Ive seen you here...how ya been???? Yah, I remember Chuck Mallet saying that GM would have a conniption if their Mallet Solstices/Skys were faster than the Vette. The Vette is the spoiled child of GM, always gets what it wants and no one can be better (off the showroom floor). You can always beat a Vette w/aftermarket stuff, but GM wont let any other nameplate have more HP or sex-appeal than the Vette...its just a corporate thing...

F

Florian
01-14-07, 12:48 PM
Long time Law.

Work has been keeping me busy.

Hows life?

Good to see you back, Digital......

F