: Seville Engine replacement.

tp001
01-06-07, 10:50 AM
Hi every body. I need some advice from you guys.

I got a Seville STS with a cracked block. I try to replace the engine but I can,t find any L37 locally. There a junk yard has a LD8 with blowed HG. Can I use that engine to replace my engine with my cyclinder heads. Is there same as the L37?

Thank

CadillacSTS42005
01-06-07, 11:00 AM
no
different pistons and cams were on the L37

tp001
01-06-07, 11:17 AM
Thanks CadillacECT.

You saying is the block are difference too?
I read that the difference are the intake cam and the gear only.

zonie77
01-06-07, 12:00 PM
What years?

Why do you think you have a cracked block? Can you see the crack? Where is it?

JimD
01-06-07, 12:03 PM
Hi every body. I need some advice from you guys.

I got a Seville STS with a cracked block. I try to replace the engine but I can,t find any L37 locally. There a junk yard has a LD8 with blowed HG. Can I use that engine to replace my engine with my cyclinder heads. Is there same as the L37?

Thank
Yes. Be sure to use your L37 heads and cams; the intake valve lift and duration is the difference as far as the engine is concerned.

And of course, Time-Sert the bolt holes in the block.

tp001
01-06-07, 07:16 PM
My car is 96 serville STS L37, the other LD8 is 98. one of the piston is broken and broke the block . I just want it run OK and smooth . not mind about the power little less.

mtflight
01-06-07, 08:03 PM
Definitely get an L37 unless you want a real headache. The computer and transmission are programmed for the L37 you have. You'd likely spend a lot of time and frustration trying to make it work right without faults and gremlins if you try the LD8 (unless you swap everything including the transaxle and the computer).

Regarding a replacement engine. I would recommend a remanufactured engine with a warranty. That's what I'd get if it was me in your spot.

Here's a link to a 3 yr / unlimited mile warrantied Northstar, that has been TimeSerted (very important procedure so that you don't get pulled headbolts and headgasket troubles).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-99-Remanufactured-Cadillac-Northstar-Engine-Y-or-9_W0QQitemZ130065244247QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33615QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.

zonie77
01-07-07, 03:24 AM
Several months ago someone posted changing to a 275 hp from a 300. They were happy but had only driven it a short while. I havn't caught another post and I asked them for more details but no answer.

The shift points are different. If you are doing city driving you are probably going to be happy. If you are doing more high speed/freeway driving maybe not so happy. The 275 has a lower torue and HP curve so higher rpm shifting is not as compatible. It will run and may be satisfactory but it will depend on your expectations. Swapping the 275hp for the 300 works a lot better than the other way around.

If you make this change let us know how it works.

zonie77
01-07-07, 03:26 AM
If you buy the engine with the bad HG's maks sure you repair them by timeserting the block.

timesert.com