: driveline vibration in 6th at 70mph->

vseries
01-06-07, 10:12 AM
I havent gotten a chance to bring it to the dealer yet for a full checkup as I recently bought the car with 15k miles but there is a slight vibration throughout the whole car ONLY in 6th gear at 70-80 mph, In 5th at 70 nothing , Im thinking the hanger bearing or driveshaft, I just wanted a heads up before I bring it in.

dvandentop
01-06-07, 11:19 AM
that is weird it is only in 6th gear and not 5th at 70mph

atdeneve
01-06-07, 12:30 PM
There's a TSB out for that. It's a known issue and they should be able to fix it without any problems.

vseries
01-06-07, 12:49 PM
Yes it seems only to be in 6th @70, I tried it with 5th but it's not there. THank you atdeneve for the heads up on that!!

atdeneve
01-06-07, 01:04 PM
No problem. If they do seem to have a hard time diagnosing, this may be of some help: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3425.pdf

Looks like you may need a new transmission. Heads up!

tweeter81
01-08-07, 10:37 AM
I don't think you will need a new trans. I had the exact same problem about a year ago. The driveshaft was not indexed properly from the factory. The dealer either ordered a new driveshaft and installed properly, or they took off the existing on and re-indexed it (I did not get a receipt from them so I don't know which). Either way, it completely solved the problem and was all under warranty.

lawfive
01-08-07, 12:42 PM
I had the exact same problem as well. It turned out to be the transmission.

atdeneve
01-08-07, 02:59 PM
I don't think you will need a new trans. I had the exact same problem about a year ago. The driveshaft was not indexed properly from the factory. The dealer either ordered a new driveshaft and installed properly, or they took off the existing on and re-indexed it (I did not get a receipt from them so I don't know which). Either way, it completely solved the problem and was all under warranty.

He said he has the vibration only in 6th gear. Then it's the transmission.

If the vibration was also evident in 5th gear, then, yes, the indexing of the driveshaft/propshaft should be attempted first to see if the problem persists. If re-indexing eliminates the vibration, then voila, finito. No need for new transmission. However, since, his vibration is only in 6th gear, he is already at the end of the diagnosis flow-chart, so to speak. So, voila, new transmission. Si? Si.

tweeter81
01-08-07, 06:06 PM
Fellas,

That very well could be and it does make sense that a vibration caused by the driveshaft would carry throughout all gears rather than just 6th, but I am just stating what the fix for my car was. It may defy logic, but the transmission was not replaced - and now the car is perfect. If anything, let your techician know this so that can try the more inexpensive and easier fix first, then resort to changing out the tranny if it doesn't work.

rlj5
01-09-07, 05:25 AM
Had the same problem in 6th gear only, they reindexed the driveshaft several times & finally got it to where it was alot better, in fact they said it was fixed. Although it was alot better , it was still there. It was at its worst between 70 & 85 when you were just barely applying enough power to keep the speed, If you applied more power or let off it got better. I had to bug them about it for 2 months before they finally got me a new transmission & now it is fixed. So don't let them by just making it better, A new transmission will totally fix it. You shouldn't have to except a small vibration when there shouldn't be any at all.

vseries
01-09-07, 09:53 PM
Had the same problem in 6th gear only, they reindexed the driveshaft several times & finally got it to where it was alot better, in fact they said it was fixed. Although it was alot better , it was still there. It was at its worst between 70 & 85 when you were just barely applying enough power to keep the speed, If you applied more power or let off it got better. I had to bug them about it for 2 months before they finally got me a new transmission & now it is fixed. So don't let them by just making it better, A new transmission will totally fix it. You shouldn't have to except a small vibration when there shouldn't be any at all.

those symptons are exactly what im experiencing, I have a friend whos a tech at cadillac so Im sure he will do the right thing and I dont mind a fresh tranny although it only has 15k on it.

Autom8r
01-10-07, 07:40 PM
Mine had a badass vibration at 27,000 miles in 6th only at any speed suitable for 6th, but got worse with a speed increase. Took it into the dealer and they installed a brand new tranny. Dealer svc. mgr couldn't explain the problem. It had to get cleared through Caddy Corporate Engineering first before they would replace it, took about 10 days - 2 weeks.

Dave

TrazzNJ
01-11-07, 10:58 PM
Mine has a whine at 70 but it goes away above 70 and isn't there below 70. Its wierd!!

vseries
01-11-07, 11:50 PM
I hear a slight whine in 4th only at a certain speed as well but its as if I have to try to get it to happen since the speed and gear combination has to be just right so im not even bothered by it, Trazz just dont do 70 and I wont use fourth....lol

Autom8r
01-12-07, 09:57 AM
We're not talking about a whine...... It is a REALLY noticable badass vibration......

Dave

vseries
01-12-07, 10:07 AM
Yes I know, we were discussing two different issues, I have the vibration and I know how noticable it is , It actually seemed even worse this morning.

ctsvflorida
01-12-07, 10:10 AM
You guys will debate this for 20 more posts or so when it is 'clearly' the tranny if it only does it in 6th gear as others have correctly posted!

As far as the wine at a certain speed in 4th gear...every stick shift will do it guys, c'mon with that endlessly complained about problem! If you look for it, you will also find a certain speed or rpm in 6th as well where it will wine too. I think it will do it at 42mph in 4th and 62mph in 6th.

ctsvflorida
01-12-07, 10:15 AM
Yes I know, we were discussing two different issues, I have the vibration and I know how noticable it is , It actually seemed even worse this morning.

VSERIES: You don't go to Captree or I missed you when you were there? As far as your vibration goes, it could easily be your tires. Does it clear up after tires get warm? I have it every morning from the GSD3's and at certain speeds I still have it but they are warranteeing the tires again! The backorder and then the strike have caused me to put 12k miles on these already but I am in no rush as it is not the end of the world for free tires again! :p

Autom8r
01-12-07, 03:07 PM
VSERIES...

Trust me.... if it's in 6th only it's the trans and it DEFINITELY won't get any better. Mine got damn near undriveable and REALLY uncomfortable over 70 MPH. I hope yours is still under warranty!!!

Dave

vseries
01-12-07, 05:59 PM
my car has 15k on it so im not worried about getting if fixed, I just dont have the time now, It probably is the trans , So in order to save bandwith Ill repost after I get it fixed. Ctsvflorida, I havent made it to captree yet , I like to sleep but ill try this sunday. P.S there is no debate were just b sssing

svassh
01-12-07, 08:06 PM

Stupid A$$ dealers why would they not want to perform a tranny change, more billable time to GM. They are obviously getting some kind of kickbacks for blowing us off. It makes no sense otherwise.

vseries
01-13-07, 08:38 AM
Stupid A$$ dealers why would they not want to perform a tranny change, more billable time to GM. They are obviously getting some kind of kickbacks for blowing us off. It makes no sense otherwise.

I work at a dealer, It's not like that. Corporate sets a percentage which can vary for each dealer on warranty spending per the month, Dealers that do go above spending will be put on restriction for some or all warranty repairs which in the end will also lose customer-pay work as well. Basically we do not call the shots if we did anything youd like would be warrantied.

vseries
05-09-07, 04:04 PM
Update!! I finally got the car in the shop and I got a new tranny clutch and flywheel coming , Im sure having a friend on the inside helps but it is a legit tsb like most of you had said.

lollygagger8
12-31-08, 03:12 PM
Dammit.....if I'm out of warranty...TSB's still apply for the correct year right?

Jayrcr3
12-31-08, 03:29 PM
When they replaced my tranny, it took a month to get one. They had to pull one off the assy line they told me.

05ls6caddy
02-18-09, 10:13 PM
I am a lurker. I have the same vibration. Went to the dealer and they are replacing my transmission its been there for almost 3 weeks now because GM has none in stock.

Tim

T.G.
02-18-09, 10:24 PM
I'm supposed to be getting a new one in my V next week. I'm just waiting on the GMPP rep to go drive my car tomorrow. I don't know why they have to send a rep out, considering the dealer checked it out and even used a hertz meter to confirm that it was the tranny. I was told that I'd have to go with a remanufactured one because my car has over 15k miles on it. Hopefully there won't be any issues. My car's bone stock. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Autom8r
02-19-09, 10:40 AM
Feel fortunate they are covering it under warranty. These things only have a 48 month warranty regardless of mileage, and with GM being broke I'm surprised they are covering it at all. As for new trannys.. GM announced yesterday that the entire GMPP division is on indefinite hold.

Dave

T.G.
02-19-09, 11:00 AM
What does that mean?

Autom8r
02-19-09, 11:43 AM
Check it out at this thread... more info than you need;

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/161765-possible-end-cts-v-gm-bankruptcy.html

Dave

T.G.
02-19-09, 03:08 PM
Great. So the GMPP rep went out and looked at my car and confirmed the 6th gear vibration. However, he instructed the dealership to tear down the transmission to see if they can figure out what's going on. Not only does the dealer not want to do this (they'd rather just get me a replacement), now I've got to wait for them to do that Monday before I can get a new one ordered. This is rediculous.

Does anyone even know what causes the 6th gear vibration?

Autom8r
02-19-09, 07:35 PM
I haven't the foggiest.... neither does the dealer. I'll bet GMPP engineering does tho', and they are breaking up...

Dave

shredder
03-21-09, 03:13 PM
I got the 6th gear only vibration right at 70mph. Geez! new a tranny. Its going to be a good time talking to my dealer about this. On the TSB is says 2004/2005 I have an 06 I bet the dealer is going to say something about that.

VDiddy
03-22-09, 02:12 AM
It's definitely the trans. I had the same problem at 15K and they put a new trans in and the problem disappeared. Weird thing is, the trans I have now has a 28 spline output shaft, which is standard on a Mustang Cobra. V T-56s have 27 slines and Vipers have 31.:mystery:

Autom8r
03-23-09, 10:34 AM
Keep us posted on how GM handles it now that they are broke. They installed mine in 7/06 when they still had a little dough.... and then it took over a week to get approved by GM engineering.

...........and who's counting splines?????

T.G.
03-23-09, 12:38 PM
GMPP took care of me. I ended up getting them to let me get one from RPM Transmission. There are absolutely no new T-56's out there for our cars, and none are being built until sometime in April. GMPP tried to get me to go with a trans out of a test vehicle that had been "serviced" by GM technicians, but I said no thanks.

Good luck. Mine was at the dealer for over a month. However, I was able to get an LS7 clutch and flywheel put in for under $200 becuase the dealer had the tranny out anyway.