: Case halves repair at 100,000 miles?

clffjcksn
03-11-04, 12:01 PM
Greetings!

The wife and I looked at a 96 DeVille sedan at the local dealer yesterday and when we sat down to hash out a price, they told me that the car would need to have the case halves repaired (seals) costing nearly $2000. Is that right or are they using a scare tactic. The car is not leaking oil at this time but they said the seals only last about 75,000 to 100,000 miles. The car has 98,000 miles on it and they are asking $7995 with the repair included in the price. It was a one owner car and is in excellent condition. They are a Cadillac/GM dealer. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Cliff

Lawrence
03-11-04, 01:23 PM
Well I don't think they would be trying to "scare" you out of buying the car. Or to "scare" you into buying it for that matter. It Sounds to me that they are being honest about the deal. I wish all dealers had such integrity.

Price is a relative thing, within reason. And $7995 is within reason.

zonie77
03-11-04, 06:48 PM
It seems odd they wouldn't have done that before they put it on the lot...
Actually it seems odd they wouldn't have sent it to the auction if they thought it would need it...

There is a lot of info about the case seal seeping and the advice is usually not to repair it if it's a very minor leak. Will they take $2000 off if you don't want it fixed???

clffjcksn
03-12-04, 08:52 AM
I didn't ask, thinking it was necessary. I figured I'd pay $6000 for the car and $2000 for the repair (that's why I asked if it was necessary and the price was accurate for that repair).

Thanks for the feedback
Cliff :cool:

dloch
03-12-04, 10:35 AM
Greetings!

The wife and I looked at a 96 DeVille sedan at the local dealer yesterday and when we sat down to hash out a price, they told me that the car would need to have the case halves repaired (seals) costing nearly $2000. Is that right or are they using a scare tactic. The car is not leaking oil at this time but they said the seals only last about 75,000 to 100,000 miles. The car has 98,000 miles on it and they are asking $7995 with the repair included in the price. It was a one owner car and is in excellent condition. They are a Cadillac/GM dealer. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Cliff
If the case halves aren't leaking now what makes them think they will soon. Who is to say that they don't screw up somthing else in the process. If it were me I'd buy the car without the fix and drive it if you like it. If it leaks later on down the road deal with it then, or sell it and buy another.

The 97 I have had that done at some point in it's life by the dealer. When you look at the stuff they remove to lower the powertrain most of which they didn't bother to reconnect, like clips that hold wire looms and brake tubing etc. Those guys are paid by the job and how many hours someone thinks it will take to do. If they are under they go on to the next job having been paid for the total hours on the first but now working on another. So in some cases they hack there way through it. Now I'm not implying that all of them do it I am just pointing out some of the pro's & con's. Like I said the guy who did mine was a hack as far as I'm concerned and in most cases the owner wouldn't be the wiser...

Just my two cents...

kevinK
03-12-04, 04:56 PM
When I was considering to trade in my 98 Sedan Deville with 98k, the dealer would only give me $4000. I refused.

I was also told by the dealer that my car has a oil leak. The repair would cost $2400 and it wouldn't pass inspection. Yes, the car leaks a little bit (need a qt oil every 2-3000 mi), but I did not fix it. It passed the inspection and runs fine.

The botton line is that you may negotiate a little bit more on the price and the car may not need the fix if the leak is minor.

dloch
03-12-04, 05:04 PM
When I was considering to trade in my 98 Sedan Deville with 98k, the dealer would only give me $4000. I refused.

I was also told by the dealer that my car has a oil leak. The repair would cost $2400 and it wouldn't pass inspection. Yes, the car leaks a little bit (need a qt oil every 2-3000 mi), but I did not fix it. It passed the inspection and runs fine.

The botton line is that you may negotiate a little bit more on the price and the car may not need the fix if the leak is minor.
Is it visibly leaking on the ground? If so where? Some of the leaks come from other areas, like the oil filter adapter and the line going to the cooler. Or in the case of Lawrence the headgasket. I believe some dealers use this as leverage depending on which end of the stick they are on.....

kevinK
03-12-04, 09:27 PM
I was told that it leaks at the low gasket. There is no dripping on the ground, but oil moisture arount the oil pan and transmission. The dealer said they have to disasemble the transmission first to change the gasket. That was 2 -3 years ago. The car leaks less and less now. I do not think this kind leak needs to be fixed. I do not know how many cars have been offered this kind unnecessary repair and how many people were cheated.

The dealer probably got the 96 car for around $3000 and sell it twice as much without fixing it.

JimD
03-12-04, 10:05 PM
Greetings!

Thanks
Cliff

If you still like the car, buy it (for less than $5,995). Even if the case half does develop a leak (drip is more like it), you can buy a life-time supply of oil for much less than $2,000. And that car will run at least 200,000 miles with decent care. They are trying to push your emotional $$ limit.

Lawrence
03-13-04, 01:35 PM
The 97 I have had that done at some point in it's life by the dealer. When you look at the stuff they remove to lower the powertrain most of which they didn't bother to reconnect, like clips that hold wire looms and brake tubing etc. Those guys are paid by the job and how many hours someone thinks it will take to do. If they are under they go on to the next job having been paid for the total hours on the first but now working on another. So in some cases they hack there way through it. Now I'm not implying that all of them do it I am just pointing out some of the pro's & con's. Like I said the guy who did mine was a hack as far as I'm concerned and in most cases the owner wouldn't be the wiser...

Just my two cents...

Halleluiah.....Thats the number 1 reason I don't like dealers, or anyone else infact, to work on my cars. Otherwise their work may be by the book but the OEM put those things there for a reason and I want them there. If they were there they should be there, and intact. In addition, I just like things tidy under there, any real function aside. Who would buy a new car if they looked under the hood and saw some of the mess these guys leave. No one would. Which is why it surprises me the most is that the OEM representatives (dealers) get away with doing this. There should be some quality control at the dealership level. And no passing the buck either (that was that way when it came in here, BS). There should be a policy that requires all the fasteners to be intact when it leaves the shop, no matter how it came in. You know, like at the grocey store. If you find we made a mistake we'll give you $5.00, kind of thing. Customer pays the bill if it came in that way, dealer pays for their carelessness. One ot two a trip keeps the car in shape. If they're never done, as usually is the case, collectively the car fails apart after a few years with repeated failures. I really beleive that this is the number one reason for mechanical failures. And that is the first palce I look when I have a problem, for something that just doesn't look right. Lets see here, what did someone before me screw up? And more often than not you find a pinched, burnt or chaffed wire or hose.

In defense of the mechanics, another part of the problem is that the dealers aren't stocking these small parts. And you can't hold every car a few days waiting for them.

Sorry for the rant, but I have had to many cars come back with more damage than was repaired. And even years down the line when a part fails from not being secure or mis-aligned who has to pay for it, me. And what really makes me sick are the direct safety issues. Brakes lines out of place and whatnot. Really though, as far as I'm concerned every aspect of a car is a safety issue. If the engine stalls in an intersection or on a bitter cold night from a poor spark plug wire installation, people can and probably have die/d.

Here I go again.......just damn aggravating.

clffjcksn
03-15-04, 12:04 PM
I talked with my brother-in-law who is close friends with the Service Manager. He asked the SM about the repair and he said "They (the salesman) told them (my wife and I) about the leak up front so that if in a few months if it started leaking more, they would not come back and accuse us of selling 'em a lemon. This leak occurs in the N* around 80 to 100,000 miles. Some leak alot and some leak a little. The main thing thing was to let them know now, so if they want to fix it they could incorporate that into the purchase price and not have to come up with $1500 to $2000 in six months." My B-I-L thinks highly of this dealer, as he buys alot of cars from them for his business and I respect his judgement. He thought they were just trying to save me a headache in the future. So..... I told the dealer to fix it and we would take the DeVille. Thanks for the feedback. These forums are GREAT!!!!!!

Cliff :cycle: :thumbsup:

BeelzeBob
03-17-04, 04:40 PM
I talked with my brother-in-law who is close friends with the Service Manager. He asked the SM about the repair and he said "They (the salesman) told them (my wife and I) about the leak up front so that if in a few months if it started leaking more, they would not come back and accuse us of selling 'em a lemon. This leak occurs in the N* around 80 to 100,000 miles. Some leak alot and some leak a little. The main thing thing was to let them know now, so if they want to fix it they could incorporate that into the purchase price and not have to come up with $1500 to $2000 in six months." My B-I-L thinks highly of this dealer, as he buys alot of cars from them for his business and I respect his judgement. He thought they were just trying to save me a headache in the future. So..... I told the dealer to fix it and we would take the DeVille. Thanks for the feedback. These forums are GREAT!!!!!!

Cliff :cycle: :thumbsup:

You should have took the car the way it was and kept the $2000. Case half leaks are nothing more than a minor nuisance, even if they occur. Most of the leaks are blamed on the case half and are really something else. For the amount of intrusion into the car and engine to effect the rapair I would much rather have a virgin car with a minor case half leak than a "repaired" one which could leak anyway from their repair and have other stuff wrong with it from the repair...especially since it cost you $2000....!!! Crazy.

kevinK
03-17-04, 08:46 PM
Agree.

People sometimes don't listen.