: Bluetooth hands free car kit for 2007 SRX

snelgrov
01-05-07, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know if you choose not to purchase OnStar if the microphone and phone button on the mirror can be used for a Bluetooth hands free car kit?

If so, what is the best recommendation for a car kit and where should one have it installed, the dealer or a private installation company?

What might one expect to pay for installation.

Thank you.

sgilbert
01-05-07, 06:43 PM
IF such a kit exists, it would have to be "private" install. Personally, 1) I hate OnStar (I have/had analog) and 2) find it easier (and free) just to use my cell as designed--to my ear! Yes, my phone is Bluetooth, but I have no desire to use it in the car.

Smokin' SRX
01-07-07, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know if you choose not to purchase OnStar if the microphone and phone button on the mirror can be used for a Bluetooth hands free car kit?

If so, what is the best recommendation for a car kit and where should one have it installed, the dealer or a private installation company?

What might one expect to pay for installation.

Thank you.

Bluetooth is not compatible w/equipment in SRX. If you don't want the phone in the SRX, get a good cell phone (Bluetooth compat.) , look at the many instant -install accessories available for Bluetooth, on line or brick/mortar stores, and have it all!

Modoo and Parrot are 2 very poular accessories and go on dash (in a/c vent or on sunvisor) and can be found on-line. The Modoo clip-on rear view mirror is cool!!!

I "keep minutes" in my phone acct w/On Star, as the phone is a powerful back up to my regular cell and always charged . If I don't use the phone, it costs nothing to have the minutes waiting there. We have On-Star in all our vehicles and it has saved me many times! Once we were hopelessly lost in a Pennsylvania farm/corn field (2,000acres!) and they got me out. The "accident notification" is teriffic too! Just this week in the news, a women was car-jacked w/2 kids in the car (Caddy CTS) and a friend saw/heard it! She called poilce who used On-Star to track them and rescue the women.

Good luck!

snelgrov
01-07-07, 07:43 PM
Thanks for your response Smokin' but that still doesn't answer whether it is possible to utilize the microphone and OnStar button on the mirror for a hard installation of another product. Does anyone know this answer?

sgilbert
01-07-07, 08:31 PM
Technically, a mic is a mic, and a button is a button. Can it be done--SURE. Who & how are the questions that need to be answered. Like I said before: Check an aftermarket installer. Basically, you'll be at their mercy labor-wise.

Oso
01-08-07, 11:08 AM
sgilbert,

That is your choice, however if you do it in the People's Democratic Republic of New York and a statie sees you, you will be "donating" $500.00 to their state coffers. The staties love to right the ticket because it gets them tons of brownie points with their commanders.

sgilbert
01-08-07, 11:21 AM
:) The un-Democratic Republic of Indiana does NOT have such a law--thankfully! However, our privatizing governer just may find a way to hire "rent-a-cops" to get me somehow!

Smokin' SRX
01-08-07, 05:55 PM
Thanks for your response Smokin' but that still doesn't answer whether it is possible to utilize the microphone and OnStar button on the mirror for a hard installation of another product. Does anyone know this answer?

I personally wouldn't bother to tamper w/ the On Star mirror buttons and mic equipment, when Modoo has the snap-on mirror w/ built in Bluetooth. (mic and speakers included!!) I didn't make that clear ealier. Also re-sale value will be compromised , (if it matters) and the Modoo mirror just snaps off and goes on your next SRX! :) Check Modoo on the web!

Never heard it personally, but ALL Bluetooth I've ever heard is a small compromise in phone quality. Most recent experience: a friend's OEM 2006 Acura TL, w/ Bluetooth.

These are all considered hands free! Not sure why OSO says a $500 fine may result?? (there is a steep fine in NY for holding a cell while driving.)

louisn
01-09-07, 11:47 AM
I personally wouldn't bother to tamper w/ the On Star mirror buttons and mic equipment, when Modoo has the snap-on mirror w/ built in Bluetooth. (mic and speakers included!!) I didn't make that clear earlier. Also re-sale value will be compromised , (if it matters) and the Modoo mirror just snaps off and goes on your next SRX! :) Check Modoo on the web!

Never heard it personally, but ALL Bluetooth I've ever heard is a small compromise in phone quality. Most recent experience: a friend's OEM 2006 Acura TL, w/ Bluetooth.

These are all considered hands free! Not sure why OSO says a $500 fine may result?? (there is a steep fine in NY for holding a cell while driving.)
In Arkansas, we all drive while using a cell and usually we have a cigarette lit, an open beer, and three screaming infants w/i reach, and of course we prefer to negotiate hard left hand turns with our knees.:cookoo:

Smokin' SRX
01-10-07, 09:55 AM
In Arkansas, we all drive while using a cell and usually we have a cigarette lit, an open beer, and three screaming infants w/i reach, and of course we prefer to negotiate hard left hand turns with our knees.:cookoo:

God Bless the SOUTH!!