: exhaust

lochenjons
01-05-07, 02:02 AM
hey just wondering what exhaust setup do you have on your caddys? I have flowmasters on mine and they sound awesome.

ShadowLvr400
01-05-07, 02:40 AM
A rair of Ravin mufflers from Midas. They were Midas's answer to Flowmasters, but they're now discontinued. I'll keep mine as long as I can. Deeper sound than Flowmaster's slightly tinny note.

90Brougham350
01-05-07, 09:53 AM
Stock! No cat, factory muffler. I'd love to get dual exhaust some day with Dynaflow mufflers, I love the way they sound.

bigbluebrougham
01-05-07, 11:51 AM
Stock, via muffler delete. Cats are on it and resonators are left on. I listen to it and remember the first car show I went to and it reminds me of lake pipes on a '53 Merc. No HP gain whatsoever, but it sounds cool! People really look at a Caddy that sounds like mine. :)

BCs71
01-08-07, 01:31 PM
Stock, via muffler delete. Cats are on it and resonators are left on. No HP gain whatsoever, but it sounds cool!
I bet you have a significant gain in power from removing the factory mufflers on these LT1 cars. The mufflers are HUGE and very restrictive.

My Caddy has stock factory true dual stainless steel pipes (2.25" head pipes, 2" behind mufflers) with stock mufflers removed and replaced with Thrush Turbo mufflers and also an H-pipe added in.

Soundclip:
http://www.geocities.com/bcndahous/cadillacexhaust.mp3

bigbluebrougham
01-08-07, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=BCs71;931539]I bet you have a significant gain in power from removing the factory mufflers on these LT1 cars. The mufflers are HUGE and very restrictive. [\QUOTE]

My quote feature didn't work for some reason...

Maybe a little... :) Well even if I didn't gain some, my car is now weighs the same as a Caprice since those mufflers are HUGE and weigh about 35 pounds a piece. They are HEAVY DUTY, that is for sure. Besides, they were leaking and straight pipes were much cheaper than new replacement mufflers!

BTW, Nice sound BCs71!

BBB

BCs71
01-08-07, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=BCs71;931539]I bet you have a significant gain in power from removing the factory mufflers on these LT1 cars. The mufflers are HUGE and very restrictive. [\QUOTE]

Maybe a little... :) Well even if I didn't gain some, my car is now weighs the same as a Caprice since those mufflers are HUGE and weigh about 35 pounds a piece.

BTW, Nice sound BCs71!

BBB

The bad news is that the Caprice/Impala used the exacy same mufflers, so you don't weigh as much as a Caprice. The good news is that shedded a lot of weight and removed the most restrictive component which is probably good for 10-15HP. Whole catbacks usually improve 20HP on a stock motor.

Thanks for the kudos on my sound. It is pretty darn tame -- which is ok since that is the sound I am going for > Stealth.
I really need to open up the pipes for more power, but I'm afraid sound will increase with it.

bigbluebrougham
01-08-07, 03:19 PM
Your welcome! I love to here how other's exhaust sounds so I can look into other exhaust options for my car. I have always been interested in those Boom Tubes by Dr. Gas. Those would be kinda cool on a FWB!! Well, maybe a little overzealous, but, I'd try them if I had the extra cash! How do you post a sound quote?? All I have is a digital camera... I would post the sound of mine, but I have no idea how to.

BCs71
01-09-07, 02:11 PM
How do you post a sound quote?? All I have is a digital camera... I would post the sound of mine, but I have no idea how to.

If the file is recorded (either sound or video + sound) and transferred to your computer, then you can either upload it to a site where it can be hosted on the web -or- email it to me and I can host it for you and post the link. I run the site at www.badbodies.com and plan to recreate a section just for soundclips of exhaust systems (old site crashed and much was lost). :(

creeker
01-09-07, 03:42 PM
Stock, via muffler delete. Cats are on it and resonators are left on. I listen to it and remember the first car show I went to and it reminds me of lake pipes on a '53 Merc. No HP gain whatsoever, but it sounds cool! People really look at a Caddy that sounds like mine. :)

53 mercs. with lake pipes and fender skirts looked awesome.

bigbluebrougham
01-09-07, 07:08 PM
53 mercs. with lake pipes and fender skirts looked awesome.

No doubt my friend, no doubt!! My uncle's friend has about six of them all done up and range from 1951-1953. I never knew that my car straight piped (with cats and resonators of course) would remind me of the first time I saw that Flamed '53, but it does!!! :cool2:

BBB

Benzilla
01-09-07, 07:20 PM
All this talk of custom exhaust is getting me excited. I wanna do something custom with my '79 now that it's running perfectly.

I think my muffler is leaking a little, so I was thinking either deleting the muffler all together, or getting a custom one. Plus I want to either drain the cat, or get a high flow one. How much difference is there between no cat, and a high flow one?

I want it to have a subtly low rumble when cruising, but sound mean when I open it up, what muffler set up would you guys suggest? I like how BBB describes his, Mercury's with lakes sound badass!

Eventually I want to get duals, but for now I still want a little sumthin'

Rick186
01-09-07, 08:57 PM
Overall, from what I've heard, Elias - with his Borla setup - sounds downright delicious!
A while back he did a full-blown video, including his Corvette starter "overture" followed by the Borla Symphony.
From what I could gather, the sound isn't really terribly loud unless you stomp on it, thus cruising wouldn't drive you nuts, nor ruin the Cadillac image.
Yet when pressed, there is enough bark to hint at some bite, too.
However, I gather that the Borla kit is from the Impala SS and requires a Nine Inch extension of the right type of stainless steel - properly welded and inserted - to make up for the added length of the Fleetwood over the Impala.
And I can't, right now, remember if there is an X-pipe in Elias's set-up.

bigbluebrougham
01-10-07, 01:35 AM
All this talk of custom exhaust is getting me excited. I wanna do something custom with my '79 now that it's running perfectly.

I think my muffler is leaking a little, so I was thinking either deleting the muffler all together, or getting a custom one. Plus I want to either drain the cat, or get a high flow one. How much difference is there between no cat, and a high flow one?

I want it to have a subtly low rumble when cruising, but sound mean when I open it up, what muffler set up would you guys suggest? I like how BBB describes his, Mercury's with lakes sound badass!

Eventually I want to get duals, but for now I still want a little sumthin'

Thanks! I can't post a sound clip since I don't think I have the stuff to do it, but you already know what it sounds like. My car is quiet, but noticable at idle, when you get on it, watch out!

BBB

davesdeville
01-10-07, 07:27 AM

Not much difference other than no cat being free.

If it were me I'd do a true dual system with or without cats resonators and turbo mufflers. Then cutouts before the cats when you want to piss off the neighborhood :lildevil:

lochenjons
01-10-07, 01:45 PM
i leave for a couple days and come back to see the forum i started and it's pretty interesting! makes me want to get more aggressive mufflers... mine have a nice idle... not too loud and not too quiet... but when you step on the gas you can really hear it. especially if you're directly behind the car it just kicks it right back in your face.