: What is my '90 worth?

90Brougham350
01-04-07, 09:20 PM
What would you guys think I could get for my Brougham? Interior is in excellent condition, no rips or tears, headliner is perfect, carpets are clean and stain-free. The body is rust-free except for the rear bumper. I've sanded it down past the copper and painted it flat black, it doesn't look too horrible, and you don't notice it if you're not looking for it. Other than the bumper, the body is in good condition. A few door dings, but other than that, it's fine.

144,000 miles.

Rebuilt (and beefed-up) tranny with 12,000 on it.
Engine is perfectly fine, I've replaced:
Water pump
Radiator
EST module
Ignition coil
Blower Motor
Tranny cooler lines
Timing is 12* advanced from factory specs, runs on 91/92 octane
Always kept up with maintenance, Bosch +4's, Delco wires

Tires are good, have probably 50-60% life left, they're quality Imperial's.
Quart of Lucas and 15-W40 Delvac oil / K&N filter

Underbody has been painted with POR-15.

Does aftermarket audio equipment have any significant bearing on value? I've got about $700 worth of amps and speakers (couple Orion amps, Blaupunkt headunit, Pioneer speakers) right now.

Antenna doesn't work, the nylon cable is broken. It runs if you hook it up to power but doesn't go down. The AC isn't cold, needs a recharge.

What do you guys think?

http://90brougham350.smugmug.com/gallery/2027615/2

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-04-07, 09:23 PM
Thinking about sellin it off? I'd expect $2500 from a private party, maybe $1000 trade in. It sucks, I know.

Benzilla
01-04-07, 09:35 PM
I was thinking more like $3000 private party. That's a nice Brougham.

Gwokable
01-04-07, 10:00 PM
For the car itself, you can easily get $2800; Bluebook cadillac brougham is worth 3000 in excellant condition and you'rs is damn near it. I'd ask $3300 myself due to the new, low-mileage transmission. Engine has 144,000 miles on it and will likely need a rebuild or replacement within 80,000 miles.

With the soundsystem installed, as-is, I'd ask $4000 and you can demand that price for that car, easy.

If you replaced the bumper, made sure the AC was recharged, fixed the antenna, downclocked and the timing and dump the crap boshes for ac delco rapidfires; $4200.

If you did a few simple modifications to it, including:

Kevlar spark plug wires

AC Delco Rapidfires

Repaint the air snorkel (strip, primer, clearcoat, shine it)or install a performance edelbrock air snorkel.

Silicon vacuum tubes

Seat covers

Leather Steering wheel cover

Plugged the front antenna and ran dual antenna's out the sides of the trunk probably too late now since you've already done the paintjob).

Added a compass and/or GPS unit.

(Right around $800 worth of stuff and very little work).

You could VERY easily increase that price to $6000. I'd ask $5800 myself and be talked down to $5000. Just make sure whoever buys it knows it's a good idea to replace the engine, and that you want all the money and deposited in your account, upfront, before you'll be willing to sign the title over.

Destroyer
01-04-07, 10:01 PM
Well I see perfect low mileage examples selling for between $3.5k-$4.5k. Your mileage is a bit high for the stock motor and your A/C does not work so I'm gonna say it'll go for $2k-$2.5k. Take the stereo out!. Most likely the car will sell to someone older and he would not care for the stereo anyway. Then again the car could go to some kid that wants to pimp it. You're not selling it are you?.

Destroyer
01-04-07, 10:03 PM
For the car itself, you can easily get $2800; Bluebook cadillac brougham is worth 3000 in excellant condition and you'rs is damn near it. I'd ask $3300 myself due to the new, low-mileage transmission. Engine has 144,000 miles on it and will likely need a rebuild or replacement within 80,000 miles.

With the soundsystem installed, as-is, I'd ask $4000 and you can demand that price for that car, easy.

If you replaced the bumper, made sure the AC was recharged, fixed the antenna, downclocked and the timing and dump the crap boshes for ac delco rapidfires; $4200.

If you did a few simple modifications to it, including:

Kevlar spark plug wires

AC Delco Rapidfires

Repaint the air snorkel (strip, primer, clearcoat, shine it)or install a performance edelbrock air snorkel.

Silicon vacuum tubes

Seat covers

Leather Steering wheel cover

Plugged the front antenna and ran dual antenna's out the sides of the trunk probably too late now since you've already done the paintjob).

Added a compass and/or GPS unit.

(Right around $800 worth of stuff and very little work).

You could VERY easily increase that price to $6000. I'd ask $5800 myself and be talked down to $5000. Just make sure whoever buys it knows it's a good idea to replace the engine, and that you want all the money and deposited in your account, upfront, before you'll be willing to sign the title over.Sorry man but this is the worst car selling advice I have ever heard. He would never get his money back after doing all that.

90Brougham350
01-04-07, 10:34 PM
Well I see perfect low mileage examples selling for between $3.5k-$4.5k. Your mileage is a bit high for the stock motor and your A/C does not work so I'm gonna say it'll go for $2k-$2.5k. Take the stereo out!. Most likely the car will sell to someone older and he would not care for the stereo anyway. Then again the car could go to some kid that wants to pimp it. You're not selling it are you?.

Well, I~LUV~Caddys8792 (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=19243) and I talked about it tonight for a little while. My father has been after me to sell it because he's never really liked it that much. It's my car, but he thinks I should sell it and buy something like a little Toyota. I don't care what he thinks I should get but it would help if he was on my side, so I explained to him how I wanted to stick with Caddies, and told him about 94-96 Fleetwoods. He's not averse to the idea. He also told me I should update because my Brougham looks "outdated and boxy," and that I need something newer that will last, something that hasn't seen 16 salty-Minnesota winters. I don't want to sell, but if I found the right Fleetwood, I certainly would.

brougham
01-05-07, 01:47 AM
The biggest thing against it is how you painted the sides black and por-15 underneath is going stop some people from wanting it too. $1,500-$2,000 is probably a good price but it really only depends on what theyre worth where you live.

Adam
01-05-07, 01:55 AM
this is what i got from NADA:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-21-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=21&p=1&f=5014&c=16&m=1032&d=249&y=1990&vi=2387&mi=144000&z=37664&da=-1&nx=1

Gwokable
01-05-07, 05:03 AM
Sorry man but this is the worst car selling advice I have ever heard. He would never get his money back after doing all that.

It depends on where you live and what the tastes are around you. I live in chicago, in a rich suburb; people around here love cadillacs and know what value they are. You don't sell to a stupid female with no education who can't fix cars who works at a gas station who's just "looking to get to and from work" and offering you $1500; that my friend is foolish. That person can buy a junker and deal with it.

I'v seen 89 and 88 broughams go around here for $5,000. Sure, they were in tip-top shape, the trans and engine were below 40,000 miles, painjobs were done and were custom, hub and spoke rims, soundsystem and in nearly mechanically perfect shape; whole 9 yards. But his car is nearly there and a few hundred dollars of investment can bring it that touch that'll attract the kind of people who'll pay that kind of money.

Finally, and most importantly, you always, always, ALWAYS, ask high. This way, the ending price is higher than it normally would be. More importantly, if they say "blue book for this car is mabye $3000, why do you want 5?", you can give them a talk about what it has. New trans, engine is in tip-top shape with performance parts installed, new sound system, luxurious interior, ect. They'll probably make a higher offer, you lower yours some, eventually you come to an agreement.

96Fleetwood
01-05-07, 08:42 AM
We sold my Dad's 1990 Brougham D'elegance with 73K miles for $3800. It was in perfect shape. It just had a new $2.5K paint job as well as a new $400.00 stereo.

The 1992 models are bringing the big money...

90Brougham350
01-05-07, 08:51 AM
Mine's not a D'Elegance but it has a 350, it's got twice the miles, and it's not perfect. I paid less than $100 for my paint job but put about 50 hours of sweat equity into it. I'd probably start then, by asking maybe $3800, and barter down from there. If I could get $3000 I suppose I'd be happy.

brougham
01-05-07, 11:44 AM
It depends on where you live and what the tastes are around you. I live in chicago, in a rich suburb; people around here love cadillacs and know what value they are. You don't sell to a stupid female with no education who can't fix cars who works at a gas station who's just "looking to get to and from work" and offering you $1500; that my friend is foolish. That person can buy a junker and deal with it.

I'v seen 89 and 88 broughams go around here for $5,000. Sure, they were in tip-top shape, the trans and engine were below 40,000 miles, painjobs were done and were custom, hub and spoke rims, soundsystem and in nearly mechanically perfect shape; whole 9 yards. But his car is nearly there and a few hundred dollars of investment can bring it that touch that'll attract the kind of people who'll pay that kind of money.

Finally, and most importantly, you always, always, ALWAYS, ask high. This way, the ending price is higher than it normally would be. More importantly, if they say "blue book for this car is mabye $3000, why do you want 5?", you can give them a talk about what it has. New trans, engine is in tip-top shape with performance parts installed, new sound system, luxurious interior, ect. They'll probably make a higher offer, you lower yours some, eventually you come to an agreement.

The only thing starting with a high price does is scares away people who are actually interested in it. To most people stuff like different paint and custom stereo is going to bring down the price for them so you start off with a more realistic price and go from there unless you dont care about selling it.

DopeStar 156
01-05-07, 12:27 PM
I would just buy something cheap to drive in the winter and put the Fleetwood away in the winter like I do....

96Fleetwood
01-05-07, 03:53 PM
To most people stuff like different paint and custom stereo is going to bring down the price for them so you start off with a more realistic price and go from there unless you dont care about selling it.

FYI, the paint job on my Dad's 1990 D'elegance was done by the Cadillac dealership and was back to original specs.. the stereo was upgraded however to make it more modern.

However, the market on these cars is variable. The most exposure you can get the better.. eBay is the best bet.

90Brougham350
01-05-07, 04:12 PM
I would just buy something cheap to drive in the winter and put the Fleetwood away in the winter like I do....

Man you have no idea how much I wish I could do that, but my dad won't be building his garage for another summer or two, he said I could use it all I wanted after that, but I just can't afford to store it, I don't have a dime to my name, lol.

Destroyer
01-05-07, 05:26 PM
Man you have no idea how much I wish I could do that, but my dad won't be building his garage for another summer or two, he said I could use it all I wanted after that, but I just can't afford to store it, I don't have a dime to my name, lol.
Just keep it. You know I have a '91 and it probably burns more fuel than yours does as mine is a carbed 350. I dont even care cause I like driving it. Do up the suspension/tires and wheels and you wont believe the results. The money you get from the car isn't even worth selling it. Mine is in excellent condition and you know how much work I put into it, I would never sell it for the low sum of money it would bring.

Hammondsix
01-05-07, 07:06 PM
Keep it...

you WONT get 5-6k for a 144k mile brougham. Period. thats ultra low mileage territory.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-05-07, 07:16 PM
Mine's not a D'Elegance but it has a 350, it's got twice the miles, and it's not perfect. I paid less than $100 for my paint job but put about 50 hours of sweat equity into it. I'd probably start then, by asking maybe $3800, and barter down from there. If I could get $3000 I suppose I'd be happy.

With my Roadmaster, when I went to sell it, I asked $3750 for it to begin (I paid $3250 for it!!). I posted it on carsoup.com and I didn't get many replies..after about 3 months it sold. A 74 year old prysbyterian minister paid $3000 cash for it, after I lowered my price to $3100. These type of cars aren't easy to sell, and will take a long time, but they've got a very loyal and knowledgeable fanbase. People who buy these usually don't buy them just to use as transportation. The people who buy these want a big car or specifically a Cadillac. The man who bought my Roadmaster had a 92 Caprice, but he got T-boned a week before and HAD to have another B-body, he didn't care which model.

Benzilla
01-05-07, 10:21 PM
FYI, the paint job on my Dad's 1990 D'elegance was done by the Cadillac dealership and was back to original specs.. the stereo was upgraded however to make it more modern.

However, the market on these cars is variable. The most exposure you can get the better.. eBay is the best bet.

Woah, a dealer job for $2,500? that seems too good to be true. Did the car need ANY bodywork? Did you like the job? Details please! I ask because I'm shopping to get my Phaeton redone.

davesdeville
01-06-07, 03:32 AM
Aftermarket parts, sterio included, will never get you what you paid for the parts. If it's, say an F body or something that everybody mods anyway, you might get back half what you paid for the parts. If it's something people usually keep stock you usually won't get anything over a stock car.

96Fleetwood
01-06-07, 05:44 AM
Woah, a dealer job for $2,500? that seems too good to be true. Did the car need ANY bodywork? Did you like the job? Details please! I ask because I'm shopping to get my Phaeton redone.

Basically the car was in near perfect shape, but the fender fillers were cracked. So we bought new fillers and took it to the Cadillac dealership for paint. They wanted $900 just to paint the fillers. We asked how much it was to do the whole car, and they said $2500. No body work done besides installing the fillers.

This is the best picture I could find of it:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture400.jpg

Cadillac_Fan
01-06-07, 10:16 AM
Just keep it. You know I have a '91 and it probably burns more fuel than yours does as mine is a carbed 350. I dont even care cause I like driving it. Do up the suspension/tires and wheels and you wont believe the results. The money you get from the car isn't even worth selling it. Mine is in excellent condition and you know how much work I put into it, I would never sell it for the low sum of money it would bring.

Some of the best advice, Destroyer. He knows what he's got in it, mechanically and money-wise. To buy someone else's headache can be a real nightmare. (I wanted to unload my '88, yet I know the next Brougham I bought would ultimately need many of the repairs I've made to mine - so I've elected to fix mine piecemeal, when my budget allows.)

Go to cars.com or traderonline.com and see what comparable Broughams of your era are selling for. I would think you could expect $3,000-$4,000 depending on the season when sold; you could likely fetch a higher price during the spring and summer. The supply of these cars is seemingly limited, and I have observed the values are sustained more and more - even for ones in rough shape, which yours certainly is not. I think you'd genuinely miss your car if you sold it.

That said, if you're searching for a smaller Cadillac with all the accoutrements and refinements of the Brougham, I would suggest an early 1990's Fleetwood or Sixty-Special. (If faced with "downsizing" from the Brougham, that's what I'd prefer.)

brougham
01-06-07, 08:04 PM
Theres nothing special about a dealer paint job. They do the same work that any other body shop does. If you shop around you can find ones that will paint a whole car for $1,000.

90Brougham350
01-06-07, 08:32 PM
True, although I would be willing to bet alot of people would consider the work done by a dealer to be superior.

96Fleetwood
01-06-07, 09:27 PM
Theres nothing special about a dealer paint job. They do the same work that any other body shop does. If you shop around you can find ones that will paint a whole car for $1,000.

Lol....:cool2: You have an answer for everything Mr. Super Moderator!

The dealer gives you a 5 year warranty with the paint job, I haven't seen any paint job for $1K that offers that.