: Opinions on Extended Warranty

swenzi
01-04-07, 07:04 PM
I am seriously considering purchasing an extended powertran warranty for my 03 Lade with 84k miles, the quote from warrantydirect.com is about $1200 for 3 years/40k miles. Anyone had experience with this particular company or similar third party warranties? Anything I should watch for? Any issues in getting paid for warranty repairs (would they give you a hard time or try to deny you coverage for any repair)? Any advice would be appreciated.

TexasAg98
01-04-07, 08:40 PM
I've always heard never buy a third party warranty.

ejholt
01-05-07, 02:37 PM
Hi,

I purchased the extended warranty once on an 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited I once had and when purchasing it I was told it was just like having the bumper to bumper warranty. When I went to use it, I found out the dealership mislead me and that it actually wasn't through Jeep but a 3rd party. Was a complete waste of money and everytime I tried to use it they told me I had a deductable based on what needed to be covered and fought with me on everything that went wrong, even on items that had a recall. So I would never buy it again.

bjt222
01-05-07, 03:49 PM
i agree, buying an extended warranty is a waste of money, especially a thrid party warranty. In essence, you are betting that something WILL go wrong with the vehicle!

ejholt
01-05-07, 06:40 PM
It is a waste of money and when your paying $70K for these SUVs, the quality should be high and at least they are now offering a 5yr/50K warranty.

swenzi
01-05-07, 11:08 PM
Now I am glad that I asked. I sort of expected maybe a few have bad experiences with thrid party extended warranties, but didn't think the consensus so far is pretty much that it's a bad idea.

RichieRich
01-06-07, 10:13 PM
Get it, it's worth it if you plan on keeping the truck. If your AC goes it'll cost you more than $1200.00

swenzi
01-07-07, 10:37 AM
Get it, it's worth it if you plan on keeping the truck. If your AC goes it'll cost you more than $1200.00
The price quote was only for a Power Tran warranty, not bumper to bumper. Still, if the transmission goes it would cost a lot more than $1200. I am not concerned about the value of the warranty as much as whether it will be honored without any hassles when I do need it.

LLT
01-07-07, 12:52 PM
Third party warranties are useless. I'd only go with a GMPP.

hcvone
01-08-07, 08:33 AM
As said I would only get the manufacturers extend warranty, I have know too many people that have had problems withy third party warranties. :)

AWDTSi
01-11-07, 04:00 PM
I have had third party warranties, ( from credit unions) on lots of my cars and have never had any problems. One even had a major engine problem and the dealer gave me a brand new motor no questions asked. I guess it all depends what the dealership is like you are working for. If they are jerks.. heck even those types will try and find a way out of doing stuff under a factory warranty.