: Help with Leaks......

macklobell
01-04-07, 06:48 AM
I have an 06 1SG STS w/AWD and noticed oil leaking the other day...The dealer indicated that it was a pinion seal and replaced it. This morning I woke up and noticed that it is still leaking in the same place in addition to the middle rear end...What's up with this...? Thanks for your help in advance..Is anyone else having this problem?:thepan:

Skibanker
01-04-07, 07:22 PM
Many of us are having pinion seal failures.

STS2002
01-05-07, 09:22 AM
I have an 06 1SG STS w/AWD and noticed oil leaking the other day...The dealer indicated that it was a pinion seal and replaced it. This morning I woke up and noticed that it is still leaking in the same place in addition to the middle rear end...What's up with this...? Thanks for your help in advance..Is anyone else having this problem?:thepan:

I have the same car and had a fluid leak at the rear of the vehicle as well. There is a seal problem for the rear differential fluid. The dealer should replace the seal and it won't be a problem anymore. This is a common problem with the rear ends. Happened on both my 05 STS and my 06 STS4 1SG.

macklobell
01-07-07, 04:42 PM
This all ironically started after the first oil change...The car is still at the dealer since their was a leak at the rear...It seems that it is the rear differential....Also, the dealer put synthetic quaker state oil in....Would this make a difference? I can't understand why they don't follow specs on oil cap....I also can't understand why this all occurred as a result of my first oil change...I am worried it has to do with using another brand oil...Thanks for your help in advance. I have been a week without my car....

Benjamin Simon
01-07-07, 10:42 PM
I cannot really say much about the other things, but don't worry about the brand of oil.

carlosm1974
01-08-07, 03:12 PM
I may be in the minority in that I am doing the repair work on my Caddy.

I suspect my left-side-of-differential leak is actually due to the vent valve. When I unscrewed the plug on the diff to checked the fluid level a lot of pressure was released. This tells me that the vent valve is not venting.

Now for my question. Has anyone figured out a simple way to remove / repair the vent valve. I've look at from every available angle and cannot figure out how they expect me to 'pry' the cap of the vent valve.:hmm:

macklobell
01-11-07, 11:34 PM
My car has been at the dealers for 2 weeks now..Once they replaced the rear differential seal, the front pinion seal began to leak again. The seal was replaced and I brought the car home...The next morning it was still leaking. The dealer ordered another front seal along with a flange...Isn't this too serious to be going on so early with a 2006 STS? Any advice? I am thinking it is much more than a seal....:lies: Thanks in advance.

corvette00
01-12-07, 04:08 PM
My 07 awd v8 with 300 miles went to the dealer today with an oil leak. I was hoping for the front pinion seal issue ( 2 hour fix). However, the dealer thinks it is a crank seal which is very labor intensive. Not a good way to start off ownership. My 05 never had any leaks just plenty of rattles. Hopefully, I will get the car back on Tuesday.

carlosm1974
01-18-07, 07:37 PM
update on my diff leak.... I pulled the vent valve and ran a wire through the vent valve opening (did this blind since its positioned so you to be a contortionist to get to it).

so far so good... remember that on mine I heard the pressure release (piissst) when I remove the fill plug (light bulb went off to check venting).

Vent valve problem appartently caused the fluid to be expelled throught the axle seal (left side only).