: bezell

creeker
01-03-07, 09:09 PM
How hard is it to replace rear bezell (is it correct spelling?) on a 80 cdv.(vinyl
piece between chrome tailight housing and quarter panel, tnx. for any help.

brougham
01-03-07, 09:29 PM
You mean the fin? It sholdnt be too hard it just bolts on. Do a search for it theres some posts around with directions for how to do it.

codewize
01-03-07, 10:41 PM
I think that piece is officially called the tail light filler panel.

Benzilla
01-04-07, 01:56 AM
You mean the bumper fillers? The painted rubber pieces that go between the rear fender and the chrome taillight?

I was told you had to remove the whole back bumper, but I sorta think that's a load...

brougham
01-04-07, 03:48 PM
I think in one of the old posts somebody said you could just unbolt the fin from the bumper and not take the whole bumper off.

codewize
01-04-07, 06:51 PM
I think we're talking about the piece between the rear quarter and the chrome taillight.

You mean the bumper fillers? The painted rubber pieces that go between the rear fender and the chrome taillight?

I was told you had to remove the whole back bumper, but I sorta think that's a load...

creeker
01-04-07, 09:08 PM
I think we're talking about the piece between the rear quarter and the chrome taillight.

yes,that's what I'm talking about.

Benzilla
01-04-07, 10:15 PM
That's what I thought I was talking about too. Rear fender, rear quarter, same thing.

The Ape Man
01-06-07, 06:37 PM
Rear bumper takes 5 minutes to unbolt if not rusted or welded on. They used to weld some on in cities because of theft. Fillers are bolted through the rear quarters.

creeker
01-06-07, 08:59 PM
Rear bumper takes 5 minutes to unbolt if not rusted or welded on. They used to weld some on in cities because of theft. Fillers are bolted through the rear quarters.

so your saying I have to remove the bumper? tnx

The Ape Man
01-07-07, 07:52 AM
Yes.

Highway Star
01-07-07, 05:06 PM
Why not just remove the verticle bumper ends that house the taillights (2 bolts each side?), and leave the main bumper bar connected?

As to what these things are called, normally they're referred to as quarter panel extensions when they are attached to the 1/4 panel. The oddball ones below the trunk lid and license area are body fillers. Not that any of that really matters. :bang2:

Benzilla
01-09-07, 01:36 AM
Here's what bumperfillers.com says.

"To replace these parts it is not necessary to drop or loosen the main bumper.

Tools needed:
Torq drive screwdrivers
Metric socket wrenches with a four inch extension
Some regular wrenches
Phillips screwdriver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paint the parts to match your car before installing them, or have them painted at a bodyshop. Let dry completely. You can get spray cans to match your specific car at an auto parts store near you. Wax and buff them after installation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-First remove the taillight glass and bulbs.
-Mark the bulbs to get them back in the right socket.
-Then take off the large vertical chrome part.
-There is one screw holding it underneath and two on top of the bumper
-Take off the old plastic part and discard the large metal part that
looks like a gasket but save the screws
-Use the enclosed washers with them.

-Now just replace the parts in reverse order from removal.
You may need to enlarge or eggshape the holes becase cars vary.
Do it with a pocket knife. Don't over tighten the screws and crack the part!"

The Ape Man
01-09-07, 08:17 PM
I've been working on these cars since they were new and I'm not selling bumper fillers. It can be a real pain to take the bumper ends off. Sometimes there is rust and things break. When they go together you have to watch what you are doing. OTOH the whole bumper isn't that heavy. One person can remove it if they aren't half dead. Vendors are sensitive to people who might not buy because the job might be too much trouble so they want to make it seem as easy as they can. Either way works. One way sucks.

creeker
01-09-07, 10:37 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

KaddyKat
01-10-07, 10:07 AM
You have to wonder when these things were designed some engineer at Cadillac thought, "ya know this design sucks and it really doesn't look good either. Can't we come up with something better?" But considering the shock absorber bumper, technology at the time, replacement possibility in case of a
slight bump the answer is what we have today.
Probably the worst thing about this body style.