: stock battery info...

SBONES
01-03-07, 01:33 PM
hay fella's...i have a ton of stereo stuff in the car and a yellow top up front...i know it has 650 cold cranking amps..anyways i dont drive it much and when i do the batt is all but dead....my question is....is the stock batt (that i took out and threw away like a dumb ass) better and stronger then the yellow top?

nikon
01-03-07, 01:41 PM
dunno if it's any better, but my stocker has 690 CCA, I think any battery will go dead if you let it sit...I dont drive my camaro at all and have a red top in it...it too will go dead, thus the reason I put a float charger on it...just permanently mount it and then its just a quick hook-up when you park....

edit: just thinking about it now, doesnt the yellow top, top post push up into the hood?? could that be shorting out and slowly draining the battery??

SBONES
01-03-07, 01:45 PM
last week i got an atv trickle charger...and i put it on the car and it helped...but when its on the atv the light goes out...when its on the car the light never goes out. i have an 05 with 19000 miles.

nikon
01-03-07, 01:50 PM
hmm, mine does go out eventually it's a 1.5 or 2 amp I think...when the batteries are low it takes at least a week to bring it up to par if not longer...try a stronger one maybe...I got mine from autozone, it's not a permanent mount one though....but works for my purposes.

SBONES
01-03-07, 01:57 PM
stereo shop tells me to drive the car...i cant just let it sit i guess...anyways thanks for the input....scott

nikon
01-03-07, 02:02 PM
ya, that is the best...I still get alternator whine through my subs in the camaro for the first 20 mins or so when i do start it...even with the float charger on it...but basically their right....drive it, or put a switch under the hood for the stereo equipment.

trukk
01-03-07, 02:36 PM
I had a battery drain issue with my car. Turned out to be a short in the overhead interior light slider switch. Apparantly, it was still drawing current even though it was 'off'. I would leave it just a click away from having the dome light on. While the dome light wasn't on, it was still draining my battery like it was. It was replaced under warrantly.

The downside was the switch was on national backorder. As a stopgap (untill the part came in), Lindsay put a piece of tape on half of the slider. This prevented the dome light from being turned on, but let me have the dash lights at 50% illumination, which was still enough to see at night. Might want to give that a try, as a quick diagnosis. I'm not sure if there is a TSB on this or not.

My $0.02,

Chris

zozmanCTS-V
01-03-07, 02:53 PM
hay fella's...i have a ton of stereo stuff in the car and a yellow top up front...i know it has 650 cold cranking amps..anyways i dont drive it much and when i do the batt is all but dead....my question is....is the stock batt (that i took out and threw away like a dumb ass) better and stronger then the yellow top?

I think the AGM batteries get a bad rap, whether they are Delco, Optima or Exides. It's one of the strengths of AGM batteries that actually turn people against it - the extremely low internal resistance.

What that translates to is that even a pretty well depleted AGM battery still can produce enough current to turn the starter, at least for a few cranks. Our modern engines tend fire up very easily on just a bump of the starter. This is all great.

The downside is there's no warning of impending battery doom to alert you a month or so ahead of time that the battery is getting weak. Everything seems to go merrily along until poof, it's like the battery just flat out quit.

Extremes of climate are hard on batteries of course. Just like I suspect that many of the Corvette battery ills are from low utilization, It also is applicable to the CTS-V. I don't drive my Z06 nor my CTS-V in the rain or snow. So they sit in the garage a fair bit, especially in the winter.

On the Corvette Forum, there are posts about the parasitic draw those cars have eating batteries. Corvettes are full of little vampires in the electrical system that draw a little current. About 20 milliamp draw down daily is normal. Over the course of a few weeks, they can draw down the battery to nothing. A lead acid battery that is deeply-discharged or left discharged will develop irreversable sulphation of the plates. This eats away at the capacity of the battery until it won't crank or the reserve capacity is greatly reduced and you notice something wrong. :eek:

I have a Optima red top in my Z06 with a Battery Tender on it. It has started fine. I put an Optima red top in my Z28 and it was dead in two weeks without a tender on it. It was replaced free and has worked fine ever since. There is no such thing as a "best" battery as all eventually will fail 100% of the time.

The Optima red-top is a starting battery, meaning it is designed to produce a large peak cranking power and be replenished without a deep discharge. The yellow top is designed as a dual purpose starting/deep-cycle battery. It sacrifices a little cranking power, but it is designed to cope with being discharged and recharged. For a vehicle that sits for periods of time, this can be a good thing. I also have a Battery Tender on my CTS-V which has the OEM Delco battery. I don't know if there is a parasitic draw on the V like there is on the Z. But I ain't taking any chances. :thumbsup:

Randy

HiTechRV
01-03-07, 08:13 PM
If a battery has been drained dead a few times it will usually be heavily sulphated. It will self drain faster and not hold as much charge. Desulphating will bring it back to almost new condition if it did not freeze while drained.

lunarx
01-03-07, 08:32 PM
Every Optima Batterey I have ever used (Red & Yellow) have all converted themselves into useless ballast faster than a V can get to 60.

Odyssey Batteries (http://www.enersysreservepower.com/ody_b.asp?brandID=5) however are amazing.

I have a 6 year old one that I moved from my RX-7 to my WRX and it's still going strong.
Both cars were/are track toys and not street driven.
Therefore, idle times range from 3-14 weeks and I never had a problem cranking over.

If I ever get around to figuring out which size fits the V, I will get one for it.
Anyone know what Group Size the V uses?

SBONES
01-07-07, 10:42 AM
went out to start the car this morning and nothing...i even had the tender on it.:hmm:

nikon
01-07-07, 11:58 AM
time for a new battery...but keep the tender on it from day 1.

HiTechRV
01-07-07, 09:36 PM
Nah, desulphate before replacing. It knocks the sulpher off the plates that keeps the battery from charging.