: AWD question

shakazulu12
01-03-07, 12:32 PM
Sorry for the post that I'm sure has been covered, however the search feature doesn't recognize "AWD" as a search option and using other terms didn't get me what I need.

I'm trying to figure out what the differences in the various years of the Escalade and Denali are in regards to the AWD setup. From what I can gather, it appears the Escalade is using an open differential that uses the ABS to route power to the wheels with grip.

This seems like it would not be as effective as the setup used in the Denali's up until 2002 which used a viscious coupling and could route as much power as needed front or rear, but I look and see that the H2, the off-road king supposedly, uses a similiar system.

I'm looking for a full size SUV to use primarily for heading to the mountain to snowboard, as such it will spend 90 percent of the time on hardpack and ice. I'm trying to figure out which setup gives the most confidence and grip in those situations, is it worth it to find an older Denali because of this? I don't really care about miles or going used, since its going to be a weekend only vehicle and the occasional long trip. I much prefer AWD on ice since it doesn't push the front end out in corners the way 4HI does.

Thanks in advance.

07slade
01-06-07, 12:44 AM
I belive The 07' has a Rear Locking Diff, But It seemed to do Ok in the 2 feet of snow I plowed through, besides the lower spoiler getting packed with snow, and yes I have the 22''s and It had no problems, But Most Automakers are using that system now where the Vehicle is either FWD or RWD until there Is a detected slippage and usually 50-99% of the power can go to that one wheel I don't know much about it but this is mostly info from what i've read so sorry if it might be wrong