Cadillac Owners Forum banner

before i start cutting.....

731 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  CadillacSTS42005 
#1 ·
so i tried to put my eclipse av8022 in my sts and found that it was too deep to mount. it stuck out like 2 inches because of a piece of metal behind it. well, i sold it and went with an eclipse avn2454 which is a double din unit. well, it is also too deep and still hits the metal in the back. i want to be able to mount this so it looks flush and factory. well, not only did i have to hack up the mounting bracket because they only make single din kits but i might have to hack up my car! i want aftermarket and i really want video but its looking like there will be no unit that is as shallow as the stock so i might be forced to start cutting. but, whati want to know is....if i start cutting, what is that piece? why is it there? what is behind it? and should i ultimately not cut it? i already have to customize a fiberglass trim piece so im invested into this project no matter what.

#4 ·
im not worried about cutting the plastic or vibration for that matter; i can get rid of the vibration myself. what im worried about is the metal piece; its the piece that is actually restricted the install

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.