: before i start cutting.....

gust_1980
01-03-07, 12:23 AM
so i tried to put my eclipse av8022 in my sts and found that it was too deep to mount. it stuck out like 2 inches because of a piece of metal behind it. well, i sold it and went with an eclipse avn2454 which is a double din unit. well, it is also too deep and still hits the metal in the back. i want to be able to mount this so it looks flush and factory. well, not only did i have to hack up the mounting bracket because they only make single din kits but i might have to hack up my car! i want aftermarket and i really want video but its looking like there will be no unit that is as shallow as the stock so i might be forced to start cutting. but, whati want to know is....if i start cutting, what is that piece? why is it there? what is behind it? and should i ultimately not cut it? i already have to customize a fiberglass trim piece so im invested into this project no matter what.

gust_1980
01-04-07, 10:37 PM
come on guys, i need some advice here. if i can cut without damaging or hindering the performance of anything i will do it, if not im s.o.l.!

CadillacSTS42005
01-05-07, 10:23 AM
sorry
that back plate it used to mount the radio in so it doesnt vibrate or move, you can cut it without ill effects everyone on the devilles and sevilles have to cut that to fit screens

gust_1980
01-05-07, 07:00 PM
im not worried about cutting the plastic or vibration for that matter; i can get rid of the vibration myself. what im worried about is the metal piece; its the piece that is actually restricted the install

CadillacSTS42005
01-05-07, 07:15 PM
its used for holding the actual dash onto the car
can it be removed sure
may have vibration like i said but its your call