: Maggies Heat Soak???

TrazzNJ
01-02-07, 11:40 PM
I spoke to a very reputable tuner today and he claims that the Magnacharger heat soaks very badly and is not very good after the first dyno pull. I have read that alot of guys on this forum have Maggies and seem very happy with them. My guy recomends a ProCharger(modded GTO kit) How bout some pros and cons on the Maggie.

Thanks!

heavymetals
01-03-07, 12:12 AM
Well if all your gonna do is dyno runs, then ya, it is a heat soak.:cookoo:

Happy with mine (both of them!).

Florian
01-03-07, 08:20 AM
heat soak is bad....pretty bad on the maggies...thats why I went h/c instead of supercharged.

F

rand49er
01-03-07, 08:30 AM
Okay, guys, stupid question here:

Under what conditions does heat soak (with a maggie) occur?
High ambient temp, idling after high-speed cruise/race, ... ?

(I'm assuming the symptoms include reduced max power output due to higher-than-desired incoming charge temp. I mean, how dramatic can this be? Doesn't the intercooler handle most of this?)

GT04CTS-V
01-03-07, 08:32 AM
I spoke to a very reputable tuner today and he claims that the Magnacharger heat soaks very badly and is not very good after the first dyno pull. I have read that alot of guys on this forum have Maggies and seem very happy with them. My guy recomends a ProCharger(modded GTO kit) How bout some pros and cons on the Maggie.

Thanks!

I did three back-to-back dyno pulls with the Maggie. All three pulls were the same, in fact, the dyno operator put all three on the same graph.

It was a 60 degree day, we waited 10 mins between pulls (to analyze the results), and my intercooler pump and radiator fans are programmed to stay on 4 minutes after the car is shut off.

The Maggie is relatively easy to remove and return the car to stock with no evidence of it ever being there, not so with the Procharger. A Maggie can be bolted on in a weekend using regular hand tools, not so for the Procharger.

If you want more horsepower in the upper rpms and don't care about ever returning the car to stock, go with the procharger.

GT

Drift-caddy
01-03-07, 08:57 AM

Thanks!

Procharger great. I really don't like your tuner, sounds like he is trying to sell you what he can get a good deal on(make most profit), and not what you want. Did he tell you the down side of the Procharger?? Do you know the down side, did he give you prices?
With the procharger you have alof of FAB work to do. Alot of cutting and moving parts around. Then you have the noise. A procharger makes alot of noise. It is not something u cant take anywhere and not been heard. The maggie you will not have this problem. As you can go to dealer and no one will hear it and most wont know you have it. The procharger they will hear as you are pulling into there parking lot. At idle you will here the procharger inside your car with the radio on. Then there is price.

I have 2Vs here right now. 1 is Maggie 1 is Procharger.
I love them both. I love the Maggie when we went to the track and ran 11.91 and everyone was shocked. they did not know it had a SC on there, and asked what was done to it, just told them the normal boltons.lol I mean you do just bolt it on.

The procharger is great as well. You pull up to a gas station, track and everyone turns there head and looks. Thats coming from a Caddy.

So more important. What do you want? What is this car for?? Where are you located at??

Tags63
01-03-07, 09:55 AM
Hey!!!

Yep, everything DriftCaddy said is 100% accurate!!! I've been putting blowers on my rides forever & all different types. I love the sound of the Procharger!! Though you personally will want to hear it for yourself before committing to that purchase. Also, for everyday driving I wouldn't worry about the heat sink scenario your tuner told you about. Many of the guys are using Maggies and love them!! Good Luck with your choice!!!

Paul:thumbsup:

Drift-caddy
01-03-07, 06:33 PM
TY, sound like you have one hell of a V. No get out and drive it.

keeksv
01-03-07, 06:43 PM
To get the most out of a procharger, you'll probably want to put some forged parts in your engine. Maybe that is the other thing your tuner is trying to sell you??

TrazzNJ
01-03-07, 10:53 PM
I agree with the "selling me what I don't want " scenario. I think the heat soak issue might be a problem at a long stop light on a 95 degree day or after some serious road racing but I'm thinking that if it soaks at a stop light, as soon as you move 10 feet , the ambient air starts to cool it . Its alot like the B/S about cold air boxes that draw fron the engine compartment. As soon as you move, the Engine bay air changes.
I'm goin Maggie!!!

BLACK_CTSV
01-03-07, 10:59 PM
I agree with the "selling me what I don't want " scenario. I think the heat soak issue might be a problem at a long stop light on a 95 degree day or after some serious road racing but I'm thinking that if it soaks at a stop light, as soon as you move 10 feet , the ambient air starts to cool it . Its alot like the B/S about cold air boxes that draw fron the engine compartment. As soon as you move, the Engine bay air changes.
I'm goin Maggie!!!

It's a good fit for these heavy cars. TONS of torque - everywhere. :bouncy:

Drift-caddy
01-03-07, 11:00 PM
If you are in NJ. bring it down here. Ill have her done right and do what you want to the car and make sure you know what you are getting and 100% happy with what you want.

Tags63
01-04-07, 10:09 AM
DriftCaddy:

Imay take you up on this also since I had plans to bring it to Cartek but would be very interested in what you had to say and the overall cost. PM when you get a chance or my email is pvtinc@msn.com

Thanks,
Paul:highfive:

GT04CTS-V
01-04-07, 06:10 PM
Heat soak is not a problem at a long stop light. The intercooler pump is running and the cars cooling fan is moving air. Heat soak is only a problem when the car is turned off and left sitting. Heat from the engine bay heats up the Maggie.

GT

TrazzNJ
01-04-07, 08:11 PM
If you are in NJ. bring it down here. Ill have her done right and do what you want to the car and make sure you know what you are getting and 100% happy with what you want.

Where are you ???

Drift-caddy
01-04-07, 08:25 PM
Maryland

bcholka
01-05-07, 12:54 AM
Go with the Maggie--best upgrade for the V ever :thumbsup:

TrazzNJ
01-05-07, 01:42 PM
Maryland

It's gonna take me a while to find you in Maryland!! Can you give me another hint, like a town or a phone #??? I like driving the V and all but it could take days or even weeks to stumble across you in MD.
Hope you find that as amusing as I do.

Tom

Drift-caddy
01-05-07, 06:17 PM
It's gonna take me a while to find you in Maryland!! Can you give me another hint, like a town or a phone #??? I like driving the V and all but it could take days or even weeks to stumble across you in MD.
Hope you find that as amusing as I do.

Tom

LMFAO, that was good thanks. I am easy to find, just look for a mullet. I cannot post the name of the shop yet cause i am not yet a vendor(again) just filed again today. So ill pm ya

TrazzNJ
01-06-07, 08:24 PM
Got it . Will call ya Monday!!
Thanks !!!

Tom