: Cargo area Screen or "Fence"

Rod04
01-02-07, 11:05 PM
Does anyone have experience or thoughts on a good brand/model cargo area screen to mount behine the 2nd row seats to keep things in the cargo area where they belong in the event of a quick stop or an accident? A quick dismount system would be desirable as we have the 3rd row seat option for the two midgets at the very back.

Thanks in advance.

c5 rv
01-03-07, 01:16 PM
I carry a folding, travel wheelchair for my wife in the back and use a rachet strap to hold it down. I hook it to D-rings located at the front center and right rear of the cargo area and cinch it down over the chair. I don't know if there is a front center D-ring if you have the 3rd seat - you may have to go corner to corner. I keep a couple of the rolled up straps in the right storage bin over the wheelwell.

I use the fairly light-weight, about 500 lbs. capacity, blue straps that aren't too bulky or long with rubber coated hooks at the ends. They also have rubber coated rachet handles so the don't tend to rattle. I found a set of 4 at Tractor Supply Company.

TSS
01-03-07, 03:01 PM
I don't know if there is a front center D-ring if you have the 3rd seat

There is no center D-ring with the third row seating option.

KMO
01-03-07, 09:09 PM
Think they mean rear (behind 3rd row) side D-ring to front (behind 2nd row) center D-ring.

Rod04
01-05-07, 03:02 PM
In this car, there is no center D-ring.

In any event, I am trying to find a more substantial device to keep things in the cargo area in the event of an accident. I have been known to sometimes transport heavy tools, the occasional cement block, a 35 lb boat anchor once a year and even a dog or two in the 80 lb range. The thought of one of these things sailing forward into the back of the head of a family member or of my head, in the event of a freeway speed accident appalls me.

Rod04
01-05-07, 03:21 PM
BTW, I did want to thank c5 rv for the reply. I too have a couple of those straps in the box over the wheel well and use them in criss-cross fashion for certain things like kids bikes. I have also used them to carry my little boy's sabot sailboat on the roof rack. The boat is carried upsode down.

I couldn't find a commercial rack that I liked so I made a rudimentary rack out of 1 x 3s. It's just two of the 1 x 3 pieces, each about as long as he car is wide. with spacer blocks that keep the 1 x 3s from sliding side-to-side on the rack. The tie down ratchets, with slightly modified attachment hooks and carpet squares (to protect sheet metal and finish), attach in back from rear wheel well to rear wheel well. In the front, the straps go over the boat and then thru the windows on the rear side doors and hook together. A heavy (5/8') dock line goes from the mast step (the strongest point on the boat) in the front of the boat, under the boat, down the back of the car and to an attachment point under the rear of the car. The purpose of this line is to keep the boat from launching forward in the event of an accident.

The boat only weighs about 45-50 lbs, minus mast and sails and everything else that can be detached, and only goes to the beach at the beginning of summer and returns to our back yard at the end of August.

MortnCyn
01-07-07, 02:08 PM
Might be better than nothing.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=48019155&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1

Sherpak Smart Rack Bungee Net
$19.95 Item 737431

http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1d/gallery.rei.com/media/969949.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:myGoto(largeHeroImgLink);)

BarryH_GEG
01-07-07, 04:49 PM
You guys are making this too hard. There's a GM Cargo Partition for the SRX - I have it and use it to keep my dogs in the cargo area. It has two hooks at the bottom that fit in to the D-rings on the sidewall behind the second row and two prongs at the the top to fit in to the attachment points built in to the roof. It's $140 and the part number is
12498786. I have the third row so I don't understand the earlier D-ring debate.

Rod04
01-07-07, 06:53 PM
You guys are making this too hard. There's a GM Cargo Partition for the SRX - I have it and use it to keep my dogs in the cargo area. It has two hooks at the bottom that fit in to the D-rings on the sidewall behind the second row and two prongs at the the top to fit in to the attachment points built in to the roof. It's $140 and the part number is
12498786. I have the third row so I don't understand the earlier D-ring debate.

Voila! And thank you ever so much. It'll be on order by Monday night.