: Steering Wheel Removal

DopeStar 156
01-02-07, 02:20 PM
How do I go about doing this? I have a shop manual but I think those pages are missing, I can't find any instructions on how to remove the wheel. Thanks.....

RocketFast321
01-03-07, 02:59 PM
This is how i removed the wheel on my 84 Electra
Make sure your wheels are straight.

Behind the horn pad should be some screws(2). Take them out.

The horn pad should lift up, watch out for the horn wire.

Remove the nut and use a steering wheel puller to push the lock plate down so you can remove the snap ring.

1990CaddyBrougham
01-03-07, 10:37 PM
Yah, you need to get a steering wheel puller. I rented one from Auto Zone when i ganked a blue leather wrapped wheel of a parts car i had.

Dont try without the puller.

Benzilla
01-04-07, 01:53 AM
Damn it, that means I need one too.

Hey DS, you still looking for a new mint leather wrapped steering wheel in that dark maroon, burgundy color?

brougham
01-04-07, 03:52 PM
You can probably just find a place to buy the puller cheap instead of renting it. I bought one that works for that for something like $7 and it works for taking off other stuff too like harmonic balancers.

1990CaddyBrougham
01-04-07, 07:01 PM
Didnt someoen have a nice tan one around here? Mines the shitty plastic one what cracks, though i doo like the wood inserts. I can never get a parts car wiht a good leather wrapped wheel.
Though i do have b blue one if anyone is intrestd

DopeStar 156
01-05-07, 03:28 AM
Damn it, that means I need one too.

Hey DS, you still looking for a new mint leather wrapped steering wheel in that dark maroon, burgundy color?

Haha, ironically enough that "brown" one I got turned burgundy after I cleaned it. So it just needs installing. I didn't think I needed the puller though. Thanks.

cadmat
01-16-07, 04:17 PM
Ok gang, I have a tilt and Telescope unit on my 86 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance (RWD) , how do I remove the nut holding the wheel on that is directly under the plate that holds the telescope lever? that little plate is in the way. is there a special tool? does the little plate come off? any advice from someone who has done it is GREATLY appreciated.. by the way, the steering wheel is loose from the tilt part up, I understnd it is rather common in our gm cars, but I can't figure out how to get past that little plate. I do have a steering Wheel puller and a lock plate removal tool, but I'm sure those things come later in the process.
Thanks, MAtt

SnacksGarcia
10-22-12, 11:19 PM
Ok gang, I have a tilt and Telescope unit on my 86 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance (RWD) , how do I remove the nut holding the wheel on that is directly under the plate that holds the telescope lever? that little plate is in the way. is there a special tool? does the little plate come off? any advice from someone who has done it is GREATLY appreciated.. by the way, the steering wheel is loose from the tilt part up, I understnd it is rather common in our gm cars, but I can't figure out how to get past that little plate. I do have a steering Wheel puller and a lock plate removal tool, but I'm sure those things come later in the process.
Thanks, MAtt

I know this is a very old thread but I am also having this same problem. I still have a little plate that was attached to the telescoping handle and I can't get the nut or the steering wheel off. Any help is appreciated.

j2rossit
10-23-12, 08:23 AM
It was a year ago that I did my 85 so I might be out to lunch, but I think there was a snap ring type thing that needed to be removed. But a huge word of warning, be very careful as you pull out the telescoping shaft. There is a piece on the bottom end of the shaft that will fall off. Make sure you check exactly which way the piece goes, it will seem to fit in more that one orientation when you go to reassemble, but only one way will actually work (I screwed mine up the first time and had to re-remove the steering wheel.