: Front wheels tilt in?

cadillacbart
01-02-07, 10:51 AM
Check out this listing. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Convertible-Cadillac-DeVille_W0QQitemZ220067448068QQihZ012QQcategoryZ61 46QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The front wheels are extremely tilted in at the top. What causes this? Is this a serious problem?

brougham
01-02-07, 01:59 PM
At the top? It looks more like theyre tilted in at the bottom. Probably just worn parts or it needs an alignment.

The Ape Man
01-02-07, 05:13 PM
Upper ball joints used to adjust camber. Maybe someone changed them and didn't figure that out. Undrivable like that for more than a few miles.

BluEyes
01-04-07, 10:14 AM
Oh, sure it's driveable, but those 'like new' tires won't be so new very quick (gee, wonder why they're new?)

I dunno though, that's some pretty massive positive camber there, I doubt the upper ball joint adjuster will let it go that far.

I'm a bit perplexed. Both front tires look equally cambered, and the ride height looks right. The road also looks pretty smooth (one wheel in a pothole can make tires look strange). I was ready to say accident damage untill I saw it on both sides. Almost makes me wonder if they swapped the steering knuckle from another year Caddy that used a different king pin inclination angle? I've never seen how the upper arms are bolted onto a '67, but I wonder if the upper arm cross-shaft coule be in backwards?

Dang beautiful car though. I hope somebody fixes her up!

Rick186
01-04-07, 12:54 PM
Yes, that WAS a gorgeous automobile, but like the old saying:
"A man is judged by the friends he keeps." and -
"A driver is judged by the fenders he keeps."
. . . looking at the rear bumper, it appears to be sprung, badly, to the right of the license plate.
So, I wonder if that means further internal body damage.
She sure had some HARD miles.
Might make a good project car, however.

BluEyes
01-06-07, 11:34 PM
Looks more to me like someone caught the underside of that body panel below the bumper on something, like when going out a badly coutoured driveway. Doesn't look like that much. Certainly many musclecars have been restored from far worse.

I wouldn't say hard miles at all. It is now a 40 year old car after all. If it hasn't been garaged for most of those years, the top is sure to take the brunt of it. It just looks like a Cadillac that has been driven for most of its years without any exceptional care and upkeep. At least the seller was honest and didn't list the odometer reading as under 100K just because that's all it displays. I wonder if it's not 213K though.