: 2004 EXT brake problems?

EXTinNH
01-01-07, 11:28 PM
I have had two situations over the last year with my EXT and am wondering if anyone else experienced anything like this.

About a year ago, someone ran a stop sign right in my path. I stepped on the brakes and I was able to press them down to the floor without much effort. I FINALLY came to a stop after an excessive distance, having been able to maneuver the EXT around the other vehicle. I brought it to the dealer to have the brakes checked and was told that there were no error codes.

The second case involved an accident that I had about two months ago in the rain. I was forced into another lane by another vehicle at about 30-35 MPH and I stepped on the brakes. I immediate began to hydroplane as I lightly applied the brakes and my reaction was to apply more braking. I had 10+ car lengths to the next car (in the lane that I was forced into) but the brakes didn't seem to take hold. I ended up plowing square into the back of a Suburban. It felt as if I had no brakes at all, and I didn't feel the pulsation of the ABS when they are activated.

I have noticed a difference in the feel of the brakes from time to time, where they are a lot harder to press, but I have not noticed any pattern.

I am curious if anyone else has had similar experiences with their trucks.

John

Boombotz
01-02-07, 12:02 AM
Do you have big rims on your truck.

TheCaddyKidd
01-02-07, 12:29 AM
on my 06 i had an issue 1 day where i would turn the steering wheel and the brake pedal would go down so that was weird... but my parents 02's are completly different.. my dads brake pedal is really hard to push down, well not really hard but its a lot stiffer than my moms... on my moms truck the pedal goes down easy and there is very little braking... not sure what causes it but i would have a service tech ride with you or maybe they can check the brake lines or something like that.. idk what would cause that..

benamaster
01-02-07, 02:02 AM
I've had a similar problem it seems to come and go though. I have a 2003 ESV. Though if I push it to the floor it seems to stop very quick. I have heard the brakes wear fast though.

Papi_MaC
01-02-07, 06:23 AM
when you are hydroplaning you have to hit the gas to regain control then brake to slow down... if you slam the brake while planing you will slide straight if your going 40mph or below.. but if your going 60mph+ on the freeway theres a good chance youll bank hard left or right and/or spin and/or roll over...

anyway, i had that problem when i first bought my '02 after it just began to rain (first 5-10min is dangerous because the grease/oil lifts from the asphalt and hasn't run off the road yet) luckily there was nobody in front of me because it took me 30 feet to stop from 40mph... after it happened i discovered the dealership had swapped my tires for cheapies before i took "delivery" and the (pos) continentals that they put on were not rated for all-terrain... after changing them for bridgestone's i noticed a big difference the next time i was in rain (it rains frequently in miami)

EXTinNH
01-02-07, 11:36 PM
Do you have big rims on your truck.

I have the optional Cad chrome wheels (with the standard-sized tires).

John