: Third Row with baby seat?

tbws6
01-01-07, 04:05 PM
Anyone use the third row with baby seat(s)? Does it work ok or is it a pain?

The wife and I are considering an SRX, but I was curious if child seats work in the third row. This would be a rare occasion when we have guests, that we would want to put the child seats in the rear to allow adults to seat in the second row.

Thanks.

CaddyinKC
01-01-07, 06:29 PM
I have two children a 5 1/2 year-old and a 18 month-old. I would move the booster seat the 5 1/2 year-old sits in to the back row, but not the seat for the smaller child. I can't imagine moving the baby seat since it takes some significant time to get the seat installed properly. Could you have one of the adults sit in the third row?

05awdupstater
01-01-07, 07:59 PM
No car seat experience to report. However if your in a cold climate area you may want to think about the lack of heating ductwork back there.

tbws6
01-01-07, 08:12 PM
We are going to go drive one tomorrow. We looked at them today from the outside (the dealership was closed), and that 3rd row didn't look very friendly for adults. That is why I asked about the baby seat in the 3rd row for the rare occasion that we have more than 4 people in a car.

I live in NM, which isn't real cold generally. We did have 24 inches of snow on Friday and Saturday, but that was a fluke.

ckrichards
01-01-07, 08:37 PM
It is doable. You will need to use the lap belt. The top tether can be attached to a hook at the rear in front of the liftgate. Probably best to do on the passenger side to allow the 2nd row seat to flip forward.

Interesting side note the baby seat can only be connected, in the 2nd row, on the drivers side. There is no place for the top tether to attach on the back of the passenger side seat. At least that is the case on my 04.

scout01
01-01-07, 09:36 PM
I have a 5 and 8 year old. Whenever guests come over we move the kids booster seats to the third, if everyone gets into the car to go to the same place. I have had no problems moving the booster seats to the back. It's easy and the kids utilize the seat belts in the back.

mjk
01-02-07, 07:48 AM
We have tried rear facing infant seat in the 3rd row. It worked very well; we could place our baby thru the hatch. Unfortunately one day my wife got stopped by a cop and told it was unsafe/illegal (rear facing only).

afg350ci
01-02-07, 08:00 AM
I've used the 3rd row on my '05 SRX for transporting children in the range of 2-5 years old. I've never had a problem. Both seats in the 3rd row have shoulder/lap belts that I've used to attach the seats. Boosters are obviously easier if your child is old enough. I find that the kids love being the 3rd throw.

TSS
01-02-07, 08:39 AM
I regularly use booster seat in 3rd row w/ no problem. There are rear ducts in my SRX. I have been in SRXs without though. I think it may be part of an option group - maybe the V-8 or Luxury package?

Also, don't for get that the second row of seats have an adjustment which moves them forward or backwards. This enables an adult to actually be comfortable in the third row with the second row occupants only sacrificing a little.

afg350ci
01-02-07, 08:54 AM
I regularly use booster seat in 3rd row w/ no problem. There are rear ducts in my SRX. I have been in SRXs without though. I think it may be part of an option group - maybe the V-8 or Luxury package?

Also, don't for get that the second row of seats have an adjustment which moves them forward or backwards. This enables an adult to actually be comfortable in the third row with the second row occupants only sacrificing a little.

My SRX also comes with vents for the third row. The sliding of the 2nd row also allows more room for an adult to work with when installing the child seat.

KMO
01-02-07, 02:40 PM
I use the third row for my 1.5 year old in a forward facing seat and for my 3.5 year old in a booster. They have center "d-rings" for both and you take the lap/shoulder belt and pull it to full extension first to enable the seat belt to lock. Have had no issues... frequently put them unto their seats from the hatch.
Remember, this is not a mini-van. It is not as easy to get them in and out as it would be with a mini-van, but unless you have a physical disability, then you probably will only be occasionally annoyed by any difficultly belting them in. I.e. - you may stand in the rain for a few seconds. If you get into the second row... and turn around, it is fairly easy.

tbws6
01-02-07, 06:17 PM
I looked at SRXs today with the wife. The car seat(s) will work, and I think we will be happier with an SRX than an SUV.

Now, the hunt is on to find one.

Thanks for the replies,
Rob

KMO
01-03-07, 01:00 PM
Planning new or used?

tbws6
01-03-07, 03:40 PM
Used. Any advice is welcome.

KMO
01-03-07, 07:57 PM
I ask because I purchased a used '04 as a family vehicle... if I remember correctly it had 28K miles at the time. I am just over 50K miles now, and I purchased "as close to a bumper to bumper" warranty as possible (from AAA). If I had to do it over I would ABSOLUTELY have purchased it certified.
I say this only for the piece of mind knowing that you get 100K bumper to bumper... and that it costs a little bit less to purchase it certified than to add a warranty afterward. And the dealer treats it like factory warranty.
As far as new/used goes... I like used/certified. Someone else eats the depreciation and you get a warranty for an extra 50K miles for about $1500 bucks more.
My 2 cents.

cfishkin
01-03-07, 09:36 PM
Just to clarify, the rear vents are for cooling only. No heat.

tbws6
01-03-07, 10:02 PM
KMO thanks. What are the requirements to purchase a "certified" warranty from GM?

Thanks.

TSS
01-04-07, 08:17 AM

I have to double check that. Why would they do that?

mjk
01-04-07, 10:16 AM
I have to double check that. Why would they do that?
sadly it's the truth. I couldn't get the hot air to come out of those vents :suspense:

KMO
01-04-07, 10:32 AM
KMO thanks. What are the requirements to purchase a "certified" warranty from GM?

Thanks.

If you purchase from a Cadillac dealer, they can put it under the CPO (certified pre-owned) program as long as it has under 50K miles... from my understanding. What they do in a series of inspections and replace worn parts if necessary and bring service levels up to date.

If you are not purchasing from a GM dealer, I don't think you can go CPO.

I purchased from a Cadillac dealer without doing the CPO program... and then had to get an extended warranty. I.e. - once you own it, you can't go back and get it certified. GM has an extended warranty program, but that is different than CPO too, as it doesn't cover "wear items". Again, that is my understanding.

pottermx
01-04-07, 11:28 AM
FYI. I have two childseats in my SRX w/ third row (four kids). When I've needed to bring along another adult, I've been able to move one seat into the back. However, the latch system posts are only on the 2nd row, so I've just used the regular buckle in the third row. It's tight, but fine in a pinch. Also, the third row is very small for an adult, but the second row is quite big for an adult. Two adults & a child seat in the second row would be more comfortable than having one of those adults in the back. One of my "Honda-lover" friends sat in the 2nd row and said, "there's more room back here than in the front seat of mine" [a 4-door Accord].

john d
01-04-07, 12:10 PM
My SRX also comes with vents for the third row. The sliding of the 2nd row also allows more room for an adult to work with when installing the child seat.
Are those third row vents in the roof or floor?

TSS
01-04-07, 12:46 PM
The vents are in the roof. There are two in the roof over the second row. Then, two more for the third row in the side pillar up high, near the roof. So, a total of four BEHIND the first row of seats. I have, however, been in new SRX' with NO rear roof vents.

ALSO, cfishkin is absolutely right. I checked and the vents will only blow cold - no heat. Hard to believe , but true. That explains my son complaining about being cold - with my solution being to crank it up and blow MORE cold air on him, thinking it was hot! Oops.

afg350ci
01-05-07, 08:26 AM
The vents are in the roof. There are two in the roof over the second row. Then, two more for the third row in the side pillar up high, near the roof. So, a total of four BEHIND the first row of seats. I have, however, been in new SRX' with NO rear roof vents.

ALSO, cfishkin is absolutely right. I checked and the vents will only blow cold - no heat. Hard to believe , but true. That explains my son complaining about being cold - with my solution being to crank it up and blow MORE cold air on him, thinking it was hot! Oops.

I would imagine that the rear vents come as a package with the option of the rear A/C.

FarEast
01-05-07, 11:52 AM

I concure. Third and second row ceiling vents are A/C only. I believe they are part of a 3rd row seat package. At least for the 04 V8.

chiefmjk
01-08-07, 09:39 AM
The 3rd row AC Vents comes with as a required option to the UltraView roof.