: Dear GM: About that 2008 CTS-V...

lawfive
01-01-07, 03:46 PM
Dear GM,

First, thanks for the CTS-V! It's been a lot of fun because you got a lot of things right (including exterior design, engine choice, programmability, handling, brakes, nanny-free Stabilitrac). It's been especially fun due to the modability of the beast. We'd like to stay Caddy owners, and would like to see you sell enough of the new ones to retire some debt. (Actually, we'd like all the car mags to declare the 2008 CTS-V to be the car of the year...)

Over the years, this gang of '04 - '07 V owners has posted a loooooong list of the things they'd like to see fixed, or done better, when you do the redesign. It may be too late, but just in case you haven't settled in on the final configuration yet, we're gonna get together and post our wish list again. I'll kick it off with some of my personal favorites.

Happy New Year,
Jerry

STANDARD EQUIPMENT
----------------------
An LS7. :thumbsup: You really got it right in our cars with the LS6 and LS2, but the HP competition is already intense (SRT-8, GT500, E63, M5) and quickly getting worse (M3, Camaro, 392 Hemi). So: LS7. Preferably boosted, a la the Motor Trend article, but if not we'll be willing to play with it ourselves. As long as we also have...

A differential and half shafts that can at least handle the torque of the stock engine. :bigroll: Extra brownie points if they can handle 100+ HP worth of mods.

A real emergency brake, on the center console this time. Or may you be cursed to forever drive a V in San Francisco.

A clunk-free drivetrain. (How embarassing this clunk can be...)

A head up display. :yup:

A keyfob that consistently works from farther than 15 feet.

The ability to use all nav features, including entering destinations, while vehicle is moving. It's acceptable to have this only work when someone is sitting in the front pasenger seat.

An auxilliary audio input for an MP3 player.

An interior that we're as proud of as the exterior, including (but not limited to): less plastic-y; better front seats (at least better passive bolsters, if not active); non-breakaway sail panels.

OPTIONS
---------
An SMG, DSG, or slushbox with paddles (no hate, forum bros, until you drive the LA freeways for a while...).

Bluetooth integration. No excuse any more not to have this.

iPod integration.

Voice commands.

A kick-ass sound system. The Bose doth suck.

A coupe.

HiTechRV
01-01-07, 03:57 PM
Nice list. I personally have not even seen any evidence that there WILL be a 2008 CTS-V, but whenever it comes out, I have to believe that some of these wants have been considered. Even if it is not due out until the 2009 model year, I have to believe most of the design decisions would already be done based on the vehicle design process and typical timelines.

I plan on looking closely at the 2008 CTS at the Autoshow later this month.

dqw1
01-01-07, 05:15 PM
Keyless start would be nice, that's what the high-end vehicles have. Along that line, a really nice key fob to go with it.

lunarx
01-01-07, 05:34 PM
How can you put:
Center Console E-Brake and Automatic Trans on the same list? :confused:
What side of the fence are you on?
Maybe the Chrysler products are a better fit for you. :lol:

Anyways, I drive SoCal traffic and traffic still sucks in an automatic.
I never feel like stick is a factor in the traffic equation.
Hell, the V will roll forward with zero throttle and partial brakes applied in 1st gear.

Please remove Automatic Trans from your list and keep posers out of the V.
The rest is good.
Cheers.

commander112
01-01-07, 05:41 PM
I have heard from someone not directly involved with the V project who works within GM that there will, in fact, be two V's. The first to come out will be a V and then later a super V which will crush the M5 in all manner of performance. You can bet the super V will be expensive.
I have also heard of a coupe. Don't know if that will make it to production.

Mark

v84life
01-01-07, 05:50 PM
Let's see here.

1. e-brake or at least move the hood release lever
2. use better plastics and more leather like on the door pannels and dash.
I love the smell of leather not plastic..
3. better sound system the bose sucks
4. touch screen nav
5. more support from the fronts seats
6. controls for the sound and nav systems on the stering wheel
7. 5 lugs wheels and 19in diam.
8. bigger tires like 255 in front 285 in rear.
9. adjustable shocks
10.500+ hp dont realy care how
11.better shifter feel with shorter throws better drive line diff etc.
12.paddle shifted auto for those who want it..
13.under 65k
14.some new colors

HiTechRV
01-01-07, 05:56 PM
A regualr V with a modest HP boost that is the next iteration of what we have for a similar price, and a super V with meaty back tires after, makes a lot more sense to me.

roadracerx72
01-01-07, 05:58 PM
Here's My List:

yeah, just like that!

stkshkr
01-01-07, 06:00 PM
1. Upgraded differential and halfshafts capable of handling 600+ RW horsepower (bulletproof) that can be retrofitted to older V's.
2. Optional shocks (non-leveling) that allow weight transfer
3. Get rid of the "Clunky" drivetrain

rand49er
01-01-07, 07:30 PM
I really like the above lists, but the V MUST ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MINIMALLY have ...
1. An adequate dif,
2. A proper e-brake, and
3. 5-lug wheels.

An infinitely variable tilt/telescoping steering wheel would be nice.

The dual-V idea is a good one ... a slow one with 505 hp and a super V with 550+ hp both offering a top-notch AT.

Coupe? I could care less.

svassh
01-01-07, 09:12 PM
1. A real ebrake, this one is embarrasing
2. voice controls
3. Supercharger
4. Stronger rear end, not the stock CTS one
5. great brakes like we have now
6. straight air intake like the Vette
7. Fastest GM production car second only to Z06 Vette!

Vdrenaline
01-01-07, 09:26 PM
I would add Night Vision with the Heads Up Display on the windshield like the old DTS system. CTS and especially V drivers would pay for this option as we are early adopters of technology. The reason the option was not popular on the DTS was at the time it was an old man's car and old men are not early adopters. PLEASE make this an option. Mercedes, BMW and Lexus now offer it but Cadillac's system of several years ago is still superior. Not only can you see people and animals, but us speeders can see the heat bloom from the engines of Police cars parked in the median behind some trees waiting to nail us with instant-on radar. EVERY automobile magazine would love Caddy for this if it was whispered to them as an added but not advertised side benefit.

Vdrenaline
01-01-07, 09:37 PM
I would add Night Vision with the Heads Up Display on the windshield like the old DTS system. CTS and especially V drivers would pay for this option as we are early adopters of technology. The reason the option was not popular on the DTS was at the time it was an old man's car and old men are not early adopters. PLEASE make this an option. Mercedes, BMW and Lexus now offer it but Cadillac's system of several years ago is still superior. Not only can you see people and animals, but us speeders can see the heat bloom from the engines of Police cars parked in the median behind some trees waiting to nail us with instant-on radar. EVERY automobile magazine would love Caddy for this if it was whispered to them as an added but not advertised side benefit.

HiTechRV
01-01-07, 10:03 PM
It was cool. I had it on one of my DHS sedans (had a DTS too, no they are not just for the retired crowd). If you cleaned it at every fuel up with a damp paper towel, you could see a mile. I actually saw the heat signature of roadkill going one direction, and AGAIN hours later coming back. I could tell when a car running down the road had a low tire. I could tell which cars on my street had been out recently. It was amazing. The bad thing was, it was so good you were tempted to drive using it, but LED tail lights do not show up well or quickly.

I guess if we are going crazy with the wish list I'd add:

-Radar cruise control
-Backup camera
-A setting for the traction control that does not pogo the backend (think corvette settings)
-An option for a good looking engine/fuel rail cover, fully understanding it increases NVH, but enthusiasts are ok with that. The Z-06 covers would be nice. We *like* that we have Corvette engines and it would be nice to show it off when you pop the hood.
-Touch Screen Nav - Everyone already thinks it is.
-Heated steering wheel and infinite adjustability
-Massaging lumbar
-Darkest tint allowable by law as an option
-An option for a full size steel wheel spare with jack
-A functional spoiler
-Cup holders that still let me shift
-Cooled seats option
-a parking brake that is not from my dad's 1972 Buick LeSabre
-Some wheel options since nobody else in the universe uses this bolt pattern and offset
-Move power plugs

onebadcad
01-01-07, 10:52 PM
Great input from all of you. The C6Z06 quarter panels are really impressive, I think if a re-design of the V is in progress, it should include quarters that allow for 335r on a 13-inch rim, and go with PS2s from the factory-I realize this will not fly, as runflats seems to be the route to go when a spare tire is not included with the stock car. I also have HUD on my C6, and it is one option that is truly worth the price, never was a fan of HUD until I owned a car with it, now it is a must have. A CTS-V with an LS7 and an SC, I would be the first in line to get one. Lets hope it happens!!!

bcholka
01-02-07, 07:13 AM
How about a...............drum roll please...............steering wheel with radio controls!!!!!

RocketV
01-02-07, 10:07 AM
Along with the cool stuff already mentioned, how about taking an inch or two off the diameter of the steering wheel?

I spoke with a Cadillac rep at the local auto show last week, and she said that I had to wait until Detroit to get the gouge on the next V. (she did say that a CTS coupe is in the works) I tried all my charms, to no avail to get her give me at least SOMETHING. She was adamant, so I am going to Detroit in two weeks when the show opens to the public. I'll post my findings here. :cool2:

caddyv8v
01-02-07, 10:52 AM
amen for the five lug wheels.

Koooop
01-02-07, 11:26 AM
AN LS7! (With a rear end that can take it)

And most importantly I won't ask for more... I could ask for some other stuff, but I'd rather you keep this entry level Cadillac in that catergory. Keep it simple and cheap and I'll be back. This is a $30,000 car with $20,000 worth of extra equipment, please keep it that way. Some folks have lost sight of the fact that the CTS-V is entry level in it's catergory. There are plenty of $70,000+ cars out there, please don't make the CTS-V one of those.

The current V is an outstanding first try from Cadillac, you pushed the competition to their limits! Congratulations and keep up the good work.

That is all.

(An automatic would be welcome by many)

Davidstan
01-02-07, 01:15 PM
AN LS7! (With a rear end that can take it)

And most importantly I won't ask for more... I could ask for some other stuff, but I'd rather you keep this entry level Cadillac in that catergory. Keep it simple and cheap and I'll be back. This is a $30,000 car with $20,000 worth of extra equipment, please keep it that way. Some folks have lost sight of the fact that the CTS-V is entry level in it's catergory. There are plenty of $70,000+ cars out there, please don't make the CTS-V one of those.

The current V is an outstanding first try from Cadillac, you pushed the competition to their limits! Congratulations and keep up the good work.

That is all.

(An automatic would be welcome by many)

:yeah:

dqw1
01-02-07, 05:43 PM
No auto trans, I like the idea that you have search for a V on the road. The 6 speed eliminates alot of people and that's all good.

HiTechRV
01-02-07, 08:06 PM
Along with the cool stuff already mentioned, how about taking an inch or two off the diameter of the steering wheel?

I spoke with a Cadillac rep at the local auto show last week, and she said that I had to wait until Detroit to get the gouge on the next V. (she did say that a CTS coupe is in the works) I tried all my charms, to no avail to get her give me at least SOMETHING. She was adamant, so I am going to Detroit in two weeks when the show opens to the public. I'll post my findings here. :cool2:

I'll see if I can scoop you by a day or two ;-)

Koooop
01-02-07, 08:36 PM
No auto trans, I like the idea that you have search for a V on the road. The 6 speed eliminates alot of people and that's all good.

Some of us have bad knees.

vcaddy
01-02-07, 08:50 PM
...and don't foget to put a light in the glove box

lawfive
01-02-07, 09:16 PM
...and don't foget to put a light in the glove box

... and a lock on the glove box door.

lunarx
01-02-07, 09:55 PM

Please, the V clutch is light as a feather.
I'm sure it still beats walking. :histeric:

JK - No Hate.
I know it's a loosing battle. :banghead:
Automatic Trans will always be the majority vote.
However, V is for the minority.

The main reason I wanted a V is because it's the fastest & nicest manual trans performance sedan available in it's price range.
I just could not take it seriously if it was an auto.
Do you really want a computer mushing up your shifts and forever hunting for gears on those twisty back roads?
Sure, Automatic Trans tuned at the Nurbergring :alchi:
Does V stand for nothing?
(Forget STS-V & XLR-V, as they already sold out).

rodster111
01-02-07, 10:15 PM
I would love to have an automatic transmission available as an option. Aside from the fact that having an automatic transmission would be very much appreciated by many, I don't think GM is in any position these days to artificially restrict the sales of any of their product lines by refusing to offer a desired and requested drive train. They do need to survive and stop the market share hemorrhaging if they hope to survive the foreign onslaught.

lunarx
01-02-07, 10:35 PM
The only way I can stop my friends from laughing at me for buying a Cadillac is when I tell them it's a stick.
Then their jaws drop in envy. :D
I just want to keep the street cred of the V alive. :worship:

rodster111
01-03-07, 07:30 AM
I don't think anyone is suggesting to eliminate the manual - just offer an automatic as an option for those who want one. Plenty of respected performance cars have an automatic (Corvette, Mercedes AMG, 300 SRT-8, etc.) why not the V? Cadillacs poor street cred stems much more from the kind of car they've historically produced and the attendant quality issues they've had over the years than whether they offer an automatic transmission in their cars. I would have thought anyone laughing at the V's street cred would have sobered up after hearing the 400 hp fact, and certainly after experiencing a ride in one on a twisty road.

rand49er
01-03-07, 07:39 AM
Hey, law, are you keepin' a list? Might be a good time to summarize in case we need to spoon feed this to GM. :cool:

OldRoadDawg
01-03-07, 09:07 AM
Eh. . had 4 knee surgeries with 2 more pending. I'll push the clutch pedal in with a stick before they take my 6spd away from me.

I would love to have an automatic transmission available as an option. Aside from the fact that having an automatic transmission would be very much appreciated by many, I don't think GM is in any position these days to artificially restrict the sales of any of their product lines by refusing to offer a desired and requested drive train. They do need to survive and stop the market share hemorrhaging if they hope to survive the foreign onslaught.
I have to agree. Just don't take away the manual.
Of course.. some of the youngsters seem to have trouble shifting and not understanding the nuances of the manual tranny (walking and chewing gum syndrome? :stirpot:) so . . yes . . they should offer an auto.

The only way I can stop my friends from laughing at me for buying a Cadillac is when I tell them it's a stick.
Then their jaws drop in envy.
Had that experience the other day. And when I opened the hood and it was all bulging eyes and stammering.. "I didn't know Cadillac made . . ."

Oh yeah. How about rain sensing windshield wipers? :D

Davidstan
01-03-07, 10:25 AM
I may have missed it but did'nt i see somewhere that the V would be a 2009 model year?:confused:

Lyn Labahn
01-03-07, 03:04 PM
I can tell you one thing, if you are expecting anything for the 08 model year on this list, you are crazy. I am postive they will have finalized 99% of the features for 08. Now, if the next V is an 09, then maybe some of these might make it on there, but it would be tight even now to make any major changes. The development cycle is long folks, and that is one reason why american car manufacturers are in such trouble.

lawfive
01-03-07, 04:01 PM
Then their jaws drop in envy. :D
I just want to keep the street cred of the V alive. :worship:

Hmmm... The M5's street cred has been dramatically good, and they only JUST got a manual transmission option...

lawfive
01-03-07, 04:04 PM
I can tell you one thing, if you are expecting anything for the 08 model year on this list, you are crazy. I am postive they will have finalized 99% of the features for 08. Now, if the next V is an 09, then maybe some of these might make it on there, but it would be tight even now to make any major changes. The development cycle is long folks, and that is one reason why american car manufacturers are in such trouble.

Yeah. It's a good thing that this list is a reiteration, not an initial explication.

lunarx
01-03-07, 08:01 PM
Hmmm... The M5's street cred has been dramatically good, and they only JUST got a manual transmission option...
:hmm:
Last Generation M5 was 6 speed manual.
Current Generation M5 has 7 Speed SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox).
Far better than an Automatic, but it has still left many buyers less than impressed.
If they are going to offer a Full Manual again, that is great news.

lawfive
01-03-07, 10:43 PM
:hmm:
Last Generation M5 was 6 speed manual.
Current Generation M5 has 7 Speed SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox).
Far better than an Automatic, but it has still left many buyers less than impressed.
If they are going to offer a Full Manual again, that is great news.

Sorry, shoulda said E60 M5. Yeah, they be gettin stick!

anim8orCTSV
01-05-07, 03:32 PM
I know I am late to this discussion but I just wanted to add a couple things...

The night vision would be great (I just wanted to say that). Heads up too. If they REALLY want to be cool then put the nightvison IN the heads up. This way we can all feel like fighter pilots :-)

If they make the NAV screen a touch screen then please make it bigger and get rid of the button on the sides.
Radio controls on the back of the steering wheel (like paddle shifters). My Grand Cherokee has this for crying out loud.
If the nav screen is a touch screen then please add a keyboard and key pad for entering addresses and phone numbers (and checking voicemail)
Make the rear windows auto up like the driver and passenger windows.And, this is a stupid gripe of mine but, when you are in the NAV mode where the map rotates around the car (ie the car is always pointing up) can you make it more accurate so it does not angle a bit.

I find that when you make a turn the arrow that is supposed to be your car is not pointing straight up. I HATE that.

-Paul
anim8orCTSV

Koooop
01-05-07, 11:29 PM
I know I am late to this discussion but I just wanted to add a couple things...

The night vision would be great (I just wanted to say that). Heads up too. If they REALLY want to be cool then put the nightvison IN the heads up. This way we can all feel like fighter pilots :-)

If they make the NAV screen a touch screen then please make it bigger and get rid of the button on the sides.
Radio controls on the back of the steering wheel (like paddle shifters). My Grand Cherokee has this for crying out loud.
If the nav screen is a touch screen then please add a keyboard and key pad for entering addresses and phone numbers (and checking voicemail)
Make the rear windows auto up like the driver and passenger windows.And, this is a stupid gripe of mine but, when you are in the NAV mode where the map rotates around the car (ie the car is always pointing up) can you make it more accurate so it does not angle a bit.

I find that when you make a turn the arrow that is supposed to be your car is not pointing straight up. I HATE that.

-Paul
anim8orCTSV

4) Auto up rear windows would probably kill my 4 year old

3) The Nav system rocks, touch screen units always have Big Mac prints on 'em

2) For god's sake man! REACH FOR THE STEREO!

1) How about a 42" Plasma? WTBFBE? How about a remote as well? Room service maybe?

Your $30,000 econobox Caddy rocks (with $20k worth of go fast options)! If you want more stuff the STS-V is loaded up the bahzoo and the price shows it.

Please keep the CTS-V entry level, this car rules!

(Yeah, the night vision stuff is the Sh_t)

anim8orCTSV
01-06-07, 12:07 AM
4) Auto up rear windows would probably kill my 4 year old

Why? They stop when there is pressure put on them. BMWs, have them.

3) The Nav system rocks, touch screen units always have Big Mac prints on 'em

I'm not crazy about how you have to enter addresses, and it would be nice to have a keypad.

2) For god's sake man! REACH FOR THE STEREO!

It was just a thought (honestly low on my list).

1) How about a 42" Plasma? WTBFBE? How about a remote as well? Room service maybe?

:)

I do LOVE this car.

-Paul
anim8orCTSV

vcaddy
01-06-07, 09:52 PM
One more requested improvement....a truck release that actually opens the trunk, not just raise it 1/4 of an inch. I even have the "upgraded" trunk release mechanism!

Koooop
01-07-07, 01:08 AM
Why? They stop when there is pressure put on them. BMWs, have them.

I'm not crazy about how you have to enter addresses, and it would be nice to have a keypad.

It was just a thought (honestly low on my list).

:)

I do LOVE this car.
-Paul
anim8orCTSV

Some call me a smart azz.

Others call me a dumb azz.

I love the car myself.

onebadcad
01-07-07, 02:31 PM
Yet another request, upgrade the shifter to a quality as good or better than the C6. I liked the shifter a lot better after the UUC upgrade, but now I realize it is still mediocre at best when compared to the C6.

lawfive
01-08-07, 05:04 PM
Hi All,

Here's the wish list from this thread, along with color codes that indicate whether each wish appears on the new CTS as either a standard feature or an option. Of course, we all know that the CTS-V offerings can vary wildly from the base CTS, but hey: this is still fun.

Some other goodies that weren't on your wish list, but appear on the new CTS: 2" wider track; 1.5" taller and wider body; optional AWD; adaptive forward lighting; optional remote start & climate control from 200 feet; heated windshield washer (for those of you who live in the wrong place :p ); LED exterior lighting.

-- Jerry

LEGEND
--------
No data yet
Appears on the new CTS
Looks like we're screwed

PRICING
----------
Keep it around the same
Under $65K

ENGINE & POWERTRAIN
---------------------------
LS7
S/C LS7
500+ HP
550+ HP
600+ HP
Straight air intake like the C6
Differential upgrade
Half-shaft upgrade
Clunk-free
Option for an automatic
Paddles for the automatic
Better shifter
Shorter throws
A “no wheel hop” Stabilitrak setting
Corvette fuel rail covers

SUSPENSION
---------------
5 lug wheels
19” wheels
Wider tires, front & rear
Adjustable shocks
Optional non-leveling shocks

EXTERIOR & TRUNK
----------------------
Some new colors
Rain sensing wipers
Darkest tint allowable by law as an option
An option for a full size steel wheel spare with jack
A functional spoiler

INTERIOR & CONVENIENCE
------------------------------
Classier interior (more leather; better plastics)
Parking brake lever on center console:rant2:
Keyless ignition
Key fob that works from a greater distance
More supportive front seats; bigger bolsters
iPod integration
Auxiliary audio input
Kick-ass, non-Bose sound system
Head-up display
Night vision
Touch screen nav
If touch screen nav, add a keyboard and keypad
Can use all nav features while car is in motion
Bluetooth integration
Voice commands
Smaller diameter steering wheel
Nav controls on steering wheel
Audio controls on steering wheel
Infinitely variable tilting/telescoping steering wheel
Radio controls on back of steering wheel
Radar cruise control
Backup assist
Lighted glove box
Locking glove box
Heated steering wheel
Cup holders that still let me shift
Cooled seats option
Massaging lumbar
Move power plugs
Auto-up rear windows

Koooop
01-08-07, 11:12 PM
YEAH!

It's back! I sent Lawfive's extensive list of requirements for the new CTS-V to a friend of mine (George) to run through their company computer "Uniblab". It took some time, but "Uniblab" returned the following picture of what it termed the "Everyman Car". Here is the new CTS-V!

Homer says it gets a Bazillion MPG, it has a Gazillion Horsepower and gets chicks everywhere it goes!

This could not have been done with out the help of all, especially Lawfive.

lawfive
01-08-07, 11:17 PM
"Oh, you big... poop!"

lawfive
01-08-07, 11:49 PM
Just for that, I have another one:

"Charcoal Gray"