: Excessive Idle RPM - Need advice

larryntripp
01-01-07, 03:41 PM
My '96 Seville STS has, with increasing frequency, begun to idle at RPMs between 1000 and 2000. Revving the engine does not get the idle to drop down to normal levels. I've given the linkage a cursory look and couldn't find any mechanical hangup, nor while idling at high speed could I get it to drop down by hand manipulating the throttle cable from under the hood. Any ideas on what is wrong or how I can troubleshoot? Thanks in advance.

eldorado1
01-01-07, 04:02 PM
Vacuum leak or IAC died.

Get a can of carb spray and hose all the rubber and plastic tubing you can find. Also spray around the base of the intake manifold, as sometimes the silicone dries up a bit and lets in some air. If the idle changes you've found your leak.

It also can be something like a leaking brake booster, but less likely.

Ranger
01-01-07, 05:47 PM
Another possiblity is the TB. When is the last time it was cleaned? Could be very dirty and having the throttle plate hanging up a bit.

danbuc
01-01-07, 07:16 PM
Did you check for any codes yet? When the TPS sensor in my car went it caused the throttle to stick like that when the weeper arm inside would get caught on a loose tab (it's just a potentiometer inside). I had two TPS codes as well.

larryntripp
01-02-07, 06:45 PM
Likely appears to be a gunky throttle body. I disasembled down to the TB, and gave it a good cleaning with carb cleaner and toothbrush. A short test drive showed no idle rpm problems. Tomorrow's commute will confirm. Thanks for the advice.

Ranger
01-02-07, 07:02 PM
:thumbsup:

eldorado1
01-02-07, 07:11 PM
^--- Always done in by the assumption that people maintain their cars.