: What could be the problem???

spdracer77
01-01-07, 10:36 AM
Whats up fellas? Last night I changed the one of the jets my nos plate. I had black residue on the throttle body and cleaned it off with a rag. I put everything back together and I made sure all the wires and hoses are pluged in properly. I crank the up the car and it sounds great. I took the car for a spin. Once I took off the engine light came on and the car went into engine reduce power mode. I could not understand what might of happened there. Right away I park the car back in the driveway. I check all the connections and everything seems to be fine. I could not figure out the problem. I disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and connect it back. I crank the car up again still showing a check engine light. I took the car for another spin this time the car was able to go around the block a couple of times I notice the rpms kept reving petty high even when I take it out of gear. Then again the message on the navi screen come up engine reduce power. I'm going nuts here now... Do any of guys know what might the problem could be?

svassh
01-01-07, 10:41 AM
Do you have an OBDII tool to check what codes you are throwing?

Likely something to do with the MAF sensor if you had the intake apart.

spdracer77
01-01-07, 11:35 AM
Do you have an OBDII tool to check what codes you are throwing?

Likely something to do with the MAF sensor if you had the intake apart.
No. Do they sell OBDII tool at discount auto parts?

HiTechRV
01-01-07, 11:48 AM
Yeah - $40-$100 for the basic mosels about anywhere they sell car parts. Also many auto parts stores will pull the codes for you for free.

BLACK_CTSV
01-01-07, 11:51 AM
Can't you get codes through the DIC somehow? I thought I saw that somewhere...:hmm:

rand49er
01-01-07, 12:03 PM
Can't you get codes through the DIC somehow? I thought I saw that somewhere...:hmm:AutoZone will do it for free. Info is a bit cryptic, but might help narrow it down.

HiTechRV
01-01-07, 12:07 PM
All you want is the exact code, not their explanation. Post the exact code(s) here.

svassh
01-01-07, 12:14 PM
The OBDII readers all have little manuals explaining the codes. I doubt you can get the codes thru the DIC but that would be cool.

The Tony Show
01-01-07, 12:28 PM
You could always call Onstar to get the code if it's still active.

BLACK_CTSV
01-01-07, 12:52 PM
I guess you can only do it on the regular CTS. Sucks that it doesn't work for the V. It works for Corvettes, as well [different sequence of buttons].

Checking Trouble Codes:
For 2003/4 CTS with Navigation System:

Press simulatneously the BAND button and bottom NAV button on the left side of the LCD and release. All instrument cluster and HVAC control lights will flash momentarily, then go off, and then a menu will appear on the LCD to read and clear DTCs.
Note: This currently DOES NOT work on the CTS-V

For 2003/4 CTS non Navigation System:

Press and hold the F1 and F6 buttons simultaneously; the Driver Infomation Center (DIC) will clear and a menu will appear to read and clear DTCs. (Need to confirm this method)

GT04CTS-V
01-01-07, 01:30 PM
Try this:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tbreset.html

GT

rico996tt
01-01-07, 01:41 PM
Try this:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tbreset.html

GT

^^I agree the throttle on fly-by wire vehicles has comparitor circuits that use TPS feed back and position voltages to make sure all is well. You may have thrown it out of whack moving the blade by hand( i have done this before) or got a tiny piece of something between the blade and throttle "wall" to obscure its movement( i have also done this before). The reset should work; injector shut off is at 88% TPS on these cars for clear flood so it shouldn't start.See if you can get the code checked to make sure that is what it is.If you cant identify somewhere on this site or the net let me know as i have extensive axcess to GM Si . good luck

spdracer77
01-01-07, 01:44 PM
Ok! I just got back from advance auto parts picking up a OBII scanner. Here are the 2 codes
1. MAF/MAP Sensor Throttle position correlation
2. Random/Multiple Cylinder misfire detected
I'm assuming that the #2 code came up while driving in engine reduce power mode.
Now what do I have to do to correct the problem? How do I fix #1?

rico996tt
01-01-07, 01:53 PM
I agree with the reset scenario. The fly-by wire throttles on these cars have comparitor circuits/algorithims in the software that use TPS voltage and positional feedback that compare TP opening to airflow readings etc. and if this was thrown off by the movement of the blade it can throw a check engine light or usually reduced engine power. When it was cleaned it could have been thrown off ( i have done this before) and also a piece of something from the rag could have gotten between the throttle blade and the throttle "wall"( i have also done this before:bigroll: )inhibiting its movement. You should really try to get the code checked to see if this is the area to be looking at. I'm sure when you get a code you should be able to get assistance on the matter off this site or internet but if not i have extensive use of GM Si if the need be. Good luck

lawfive
01-01-07, 01:56 PM
I had black residue on the throttle body and cleaned it off with a rag.

I'm thinking of three possibilities: your throttle positioner sensor is messed up; the positioning servo itself is messed up; the plate is 'sticking' and not moving freely. Hope for the latter. It's easy to check.

I suggest you get some throttle body cleaner spray and clean the hell out of the inside of the TB. (Be careful not to have this shit ricochet back into your eyes; don't ask me how I know.) When clean, you could also put a little general purpose oil on the plate shafts where they connect to the TB housing.

lawfive
01-01-07, 01:59 PM
Oop, had breakfast while in the middle of my post and now see that other more intrepid guys have forged further ahead. I still suggest a thorough cleaning, rather than just "wiping the black shit off with a rag."

Hope the TB reset does it for you.

spdracer77
01-01-07, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the help fellas. I cleared the check engine with the scanner and did the throtle body reset. Now I could drive the car now. The only problem there is... the rpms revs up high sometimes. I don't know what's causing it.

rico996tt
01-01-07, 05:17 PM
since the fly-by wire cars use the throttle blade for IAC there may be some "learning" time for it to settle in.

dvandentop
01-01-07, 06:32 PM
make sure maf sensor is plugged in

spdracer77
01-01-07, 06:39 PM
since the fly-by wire cars use the throttle blade for IAC there may be some "learning" time for it to settle in.
I think your right about that. I just came back from taking the car for a drive and I notice is getting back to normal. Its running much better now.:thumbsup: I takeing this car to the track January 11. I can't wait to see what it does on a 1/4 mile. The is making 508rwhp on NOS. I just wish I could launch the car at 4000rpms or more, but with the wheel hop and crapy irs thats not going to happen.
Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.