: XM to Sirius

flyboy767
01-01-07, 10:23 AM
Anyone know of a way to change over to Sirius from the standard XM that came with the Bose 15 speaker surround sound radio. From what I see, the SIR-GM1 won't work in the 2005 STS and I want to keep the factory radio. Had Sirius put in my son's F-150 and it blows away XM. Thanks

malatu
01-01-07, 11:19 AM
Anyone know of a way to change over to Sirius from the standard XM that came with the Bose 15 speaker surround sound radio. From what I see, the SIR-GM1 won't work in the 2005 STS and I want to keep the factory radio. Had Sirius put in my son's F-150 and it blows away XM. Thanks

I have XM and the subscription is about to expire. I am interested in the differences of the two services and how or why Sirius "blows away" XM.

Thanks.

flyboy767
01-01-07, 11:27 AM
I listen to xm16 alot--country. Lately they have been doing alot of driversed (talk instead of music, interviewing the artists). Sirius new country (channel 60) is nothing but the current and latest country songs--very little talk. This is what I pay for--I can get talk on free FM or AM stations.

bigdog9586
01-01-07, 11:48 AM
I've had both and think XM blows away Sirus but then that goes back to the old days of who was best, Ford or Chevy. Since GM is part owner in XM I doubt there is anyway of converting to Sirus. You could buy a add on unit like the Delphi is for XM and mount it on the dash and use the aux inputs in the center console would be the easest way and provide the best sound.
============

Jesda
01-01-07, 05:58 PM
XM has more talk- and commercial-free music stations than Sirius. So while XM has five Clear Channel-owned stations with ads (marked "cm" so you know), they still have more uninterrupted music.

After Clear Channel decided to run ads on their XM channels, XM created new channels in response.

jgrade
01-03-07, 10:54 AM
It's simple to change from XM to Sirius. Install the SIR-GM1 (http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=1910520&catParentID=24750&scId=24750&oldParentID=7870) in place of the XM module and your done. I don't want to spend $100.00 in a leased car so I haven't done it myself, but I would in a heartbeat if I knew I was sticking with GM on the next car. XM and their business decisions suck. I canceled after the trial period and never looked back.

CTS11723
01-03-07, 11:09 AM
The '05 STS is not listed in the compatiblity chart for the SIR-GM1 module. Have you actually installed it?

jgrade
01-03-07, 11:16 AM
I have not installed it and have an 06 so that would not help. I did talk to Sirius tech support about the install and was assured it was 100% PNP. From what I know the 05 and 06 heads are the same and interchangable so I don't know why it would not work. As long as the head uses a class-2 bus then it should work.

yourgmsolutions
01-03-07, 12:20 PM
I have not installed it and have an 06 so that would not help. I did talk to Sirius tech support about the install and was assured it was 100% PNP. From what I know the 05 and 06 heads are the same and interchangable so I don't know why it would not work. As long as the head uses a class-2 bus then it should work.

unfortunately in this case STS uses GM_LAN, and aftermarket sirius tuner works only with class2 data systems

CTS11723
01-03-07, 03:05 PM
So is that a definite no on the '05 STS using the SIR-GM1 tuner?

Is there something else available?

yourgmsolutions
01-04-07, 02:03 AM
So is that a definite no on the '05 STS using the SIR-GM1 tuner?

Is there something else available?

you'll not believe this.
at the last SEMA show I've talked to the guy from SIRIUS who is in charge of this project. I he told me that his engineers can't crack the code on GM_LAN system.this project they doing together with DEI engineers, and those guys have no experience on this scale of project. So I offered the guy that I know somebody who can do it, and he refused it. they want to do it in house
WTF
Sirius is paying 20 + millions $$ a year to Howard Stern, and they refused to spend $30K - $50K to have it done, wich SIRIUS would make this money back at no time.

jgrade
01-04-07, 09:22 AM
I believe it. I talked to many people at Sirius about getting a SIR-GM1 for my wife's car. I asked if they had a rebate program or a program similar to the satellite and cellular companies where they lease or subsidise the equipment with a 1 or 2 year commitment. At first I was ignored then after talking to 3 other CSR's (going up the ladder) they told me, in so many words, don't be a freeloader and buy the equipment. Well I didn't since the vehicle is a lease and I am not going to buy equipment that is worthless to me after 2 years, but they did not want to hear that.

I thought Sirius was in the service business (delivering satellite radio content) not the equipment business. Since they don't have a contract with GM you would thing they would do anything to get into a GM vehicle after market: apparently not.:helpless:

So now I have nothing, which suits me just fine.

Wake up Sirius, the cell phone compnaies did not become giants by selling $100 phones, they sell contracts and give you the equipment!