: Would you buy a GM buyback?

bjt222
01-01-07, 03:21 AM
local dealer has a great price on an 07 escalade. he stated it is a vehicle GM bought back due to problems. he pulled out a form and stated that it had bad orange peel in the paint. i looked it over and it did not seem bad at all (black vehicle). he stated that the full warranty was in effect, the vehicle has 2000 miles.

i performed a carfax and it shows up on there that it was boughtback by gm.

My questions are: 1) would GM ever buy a vehicle back due to JUST orange peel? (which sounds ridiculous to me since orange peel can be found on most new vehicles and why wouldn't they repaint it and return to previous owner)
2) if there away to find out the exact reason it was bought back?
3) would you buy this vehicle knowing that if you trade it in, the carfax wll always come up as a GM buyback vehicle which may lower it's value?

LLT
01-01-07, 03:37 AM
I've never seen a buyback with a "full warranty" still in effect. The manufacturer, in this case, GM, bought the vehicle back so they didn't have to deal with it anymore. They sure as hell aren't going to want it to get sold to someone else and have to deal with it again. It's generally an "as-is" vehicle once GM buys it back (unless, of course, the dealer is offering the warranty, outside of GM.)

I think it's quite unlikely that they repurchased based on orange peel... unless they already repainted and it made the problem worse.

Personally, I'd stay away from buybacks unless you intend on driving it until the wheels fall off (and if it's a buyback like mine is close to being, that might not take long.)

If you do go forward... make sure you're under wholesale - with a buyback title, it's not worth a penny more.

yourgmsolutions
01-01-07, 03:41 AM
local dealer has a great price on an 07 escalade. he stated it is a vehicle GM bought back due to problems. he pulled out a form and stated that it had bad orange peel in the paint. i looked it over and it did not seem bad at all (black vehicle). he stated that the full warranty was in effect, the vehicle has 2000 miles.

i performed a carfax and it shows up on there that it was boughtback by gm.

My questions are: 1) would GM ever buy a vehicle back due to JUST orange peel? (which sounds ridiculous to me since orange peel can be found on most new vehicles and why wouldn't they repaint it and return to previous owner)
2) if there away to find out the exact reason it was bought back?
3) would you buy this vehicle knowing that if you trade it in, the carfax wll always come up as a GM buyback vehicle which may lower it's value?

if you give me last 8 of that vehicle vin# i could probably pull history on that car for you (as far as repairs been done)

ewill3rd
01-01-07, 08:20 AM
I doubt they bought it back for Orange peel. I would suspect that something else is wrong with it but wouldn't venture to say what.
Checking history might indicate what it was.
There is no reason the vehicle wouldn't still be under factory warranty. GM does sell buybacks, sometimes they let engineers go over them to eliminate the source of the buy back concern.

RichieRich
01-01-07, 09:26 AM
No way it was bought back for the paint. I have a family member that bought a GM, a Chevy Lumina. (I think it was a Lumina, but definately a Chevy) He had paint problems. The hood & truck had alligatoring in the paint (little cracks) it got worse as time went on. GM repainted the entire car. It was perfect for years to come. My point is if they'll repaint a $15,000 car to get out of buying it back there's no way they'd buy back an Escalade worth 4 or 5 times the price of the Lumina.

Rolex
01-01-07, 02:15 PM
Short answer....no. And as said above I also doubt they bought a vehicle back because of paint. Someone likely filed lemon law on it for multiple problems the service people couldn't fix. I'd steer clear.....that's my .02.

GMGeek is an excellent resource for this board. Get him the Vin # and have him check on it for you.

99escalademan
01-01-07, 02:47 PM
if you give me last 8 of that vehicle vin# i could probably pull history on that car for you (as far as repairs been done)

Could you pull a history for my 99 as well?

yourgmsolutions
01-01-07, 05:11 PM
Could you pull a history for my 99 as well?

sure I can try. just PM me that #
and I'll email you history in PDF format.
however. I can check history only what work was done at the dealership.

AWDTSi
01-03-07, 11:57 AM
Sometimes you would be amazed at the things dealers do buybacks for. I know someone who works at a ford dealership and they have bought vehicles back for just annoyance things.

pabstcadillac
01-03-07, 05:37 PM
Nope.

bjt222
01-03-07, 07:11 PM
thanks for the feedback guys. i too was relucant so i placed an order yesterday for a black on black 07 ESV. now the tough part. waiting the 4-6 weeks for delivery. Who said Christmas only comes in December? :cool2:

LLT
01-04-07, 01:08 AM
Good choice. Congrats. :)

BCCADILLAC
01-04-07, 07:52 AM
I have been involved in two....two customer buy backs because of the paint.
one was orange peel and the customer refused to have it painted. The second was a weird problem we had with Olds Aurora's, some black cars were painted just after some red ones. they had a redish hew to them......bought back on the spot.

In this instance where it was bought back for a paint problem and they can show you that paper work. It will have a warranty with it. sometimes they shorten it. if you get me the VIN number I'll tell you exactly what it has as I'm sure your dealer would.
looks like a great deal.

Chris

hcvone
01-08-07, 09:35 AM
GM replaced one of my 07' due to the engine blowing up at 897 miles, they replaced the engine and I drove it until my replacement came in, I ask the regional manager what they were doing with my "old" truck, and to my suprise they were not going to sell it, but they were going to give it to a Caddy employee to use, he told me they did not want to sell the truck due to it's history. :confused: :confused:

hcvone
01-08-07, 09:36 AM
I have not see an Escalade without orange peel, that would be a first.