: Did the John Lingenfelter Cateras inspire the CTS-V?

HiTechRV
12-31-06, 03:58 PM
This car almost looks like a prototype CTS-V to me: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/93526-catera-v-new-mods-2.html?highlight=corvette+engine

Catera V
01-01-07, 12:53 AM
I own the Catera, it beat the cts v to market and is the only one John built, but did not inspire the cts V. I worked at GM in the development group at the time. GM did look at building a LS-1 powered Catera prior to this car and Opel had a LS1 Omega ready to go into production. Both programs were dropped unfortunately. The CTS was close to production and it was not a good business case to do the Catera V8. I did the chassis and appearance mods to the car after I purchased it from a friend of mine who had the car built by John. You can thank the GM powertrain performance groups for the V series cars and the great performace cars to come. They are just getting started.

rand49er
01-01-07, 05:43 AM
... I worked at GM in the development group at the time. ... and the great performace cars to come. They are just getting started.Hey, Cat, is that "worked" as in past tense or are you still there?

What's your take on the future if you don't mind me asking? Any specifics?

HiTechRV
01-01-07, 10:05 AM
Cat,

I love that car - I wanted to import a V-8 Monero from Australia 7 years ago. Then I realized the way to get it done was to drop in a Corvette engine after the fact. Do all the interior bits work (AC, Heat, gauges...etc)?

Catera V
01-01-07, 02:02 PM
I retired in 2002 but still see many friends still working at GM. Look for the number of performance cars to grow as rear drive platforms come on stream. There will be fewer sorta performance cars like Impala SS and Mone Carlo SS. Look for the next major focus to be an upgrade in the Pontiac lineup. The game plan is in place for Chevy, Cadillac and Saturn.

rand49er
01-01-07, 03:02 PM
I retired in 2002 ...Proving Ground? Powertrain? Tech Center?

house
01-01-07, 03:57 PM
nice car

SilverBullet
01-01-07, 05:53 PM
I freakin' love the FRC's on that motor. I wonder how hard those would be to fab up?

HiTechRV
01-01-07, 06:03 PM
Those covers are all business. Looks like it could take Corvette style covers with minor mods like a number here have done.

SilverBullet
01-01-07, 06:10 PM
Those covers are all business

yeah. See, I DIG the riveted, folded metal mechanical look....

HiTechRV
01-01-07, 06:27 PM
It would be interesting to know what differential John put in there.

Catera V
01-01-07, 10:44 PM
Milford Proving Ground-Vehicle development Group. I worked mostly on Cadillacs and began with Cadillac in Detroit.

Catera V
01-01-07, 10:48 PM
I fabed them using Al sheet, not hard since they are only slightly curved. I did not want to cover the whole engine. Remote coil packs and pretty valve covers may be in the future.

Catera V
01-01-07, 10:58 PM
John left the stock diff in the car, which I broke. I replaced it with an Australian unit made for Omega based cars(not same as GTO). At the same time BMR GTO drive axles were installed. Also required modifying.