: Got a Speeding Ticket in Texas, need help...

P-Funk
12-31-06, 02:04 PM
This morning I was driving down I-10 and was going 78 in a 65. Got pulled over and the cop said I was going 85 in a 65. :rant2:
I asked him to show me the radar but he said that the radar has nothing on it and that Texas does not require them to show it. :hmm: Is this true? I've never heard that before.

Needless to say, I'm going to fight it on Jan 24th. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ahahnu
12-31-06, 02:13 PM
Good luck that sucks!

starfox86
12-31-06, 02:45 PM
This morning I was driving down I-10 and was going 78 in a 65. Got pulled over and the cop said I was going 85 in a 65. :rant2:
I asked him to show me the radar but he said that the radar has nothing on it and that Texas does not require them to show it. :hmm: Is this true? I've never heard that before.

Needless to say, I'm going to fight it on Jan 24th. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

he can pull u over if he was behind u, like lets say a cop is behind u and ur doing 78 and hes doing 78, in a 65, he can write u a ticket for 5mph over his speed , so that would be 83. a retired cop i work with was telling me this. now, if hes wayy behind u, u have a better chance of gettin a different violation. I was doing 120 in a 50 because i saw the cop chasing me, i hit the toll booth and realized i had no chance. so i just waited for him, he ended up writing me a ticket for 100 in a 50 but the ticket is only 118 bucks because he didnt have proof i was going that speed and he really couldnt pace my speed because he was about 1/4 of a mile behind me. (there was no one on the road) hope this kinda helps?

1QUICKV
12-31-06, 03:19 PM
I was doing 120 in a 50 because i saw the cop chasing me, i hit the toll booth and realized i had no chance. so i just waited for him, he ended up writing me a ticket for 100 in a 50 but the ticket is only 118 bucks because he didnt have proof i was going that speed and he really couldnt pace my speed because he was about 1/4 of a mile behind me. (there was no one on the road) hope this kinda helps?

I do the same thing. Theres no sence to stop, just keep on going.. there no sence to stop because either way you look at it you were speeding. The only problem with this is that you sometimes push yourself to hard to get away and end up doing a 180 in to a guild rail =( which cost much more then an ticket in the world.

Luna.
12-31-06, 03:19 PM
Call prepaid legal. :)

urbanski
12-31-06, 03:31 PM
over on your side of the state do you have deferred adjudication? its like probation and if you're good for 90 days it goes away. if not, you pay double each citation.

P-Funk
12-31-06, 04:17 PM
This was a speed trap, he was stopped on the side of the road (median shoulder). He was never behind me until I passed him so he couldn't have used his speed to gauge mine.

over on your side of the state do you have deferred adjudication? its like probation and if you're good for 90 days it goes away. if not, you pay double each citation.

I don't know. I guess I should look into that.

urbanski
12-31-06, 04:19 PM
yeah well TX doesnt have "points" but i'm sure your insurance company will find out. best just defer it if you can and behave. use the 90 day probation to buy a V1 :)

erp2863
12-31-06, 10:01 PM
I agree with Urby, ask the judge for deferred. You could also ask if taking defensive driving can wipe it clean. I did this once. Texas allows you to do it online. Did it while at work.

Then buy yourself an X50 and a lidar jammer, like the Lidatek LE30. Hasn't let me down yet.

Eric

P-Funk
12-31-06, 10:41 PM
I'll probably as for deffered then. Thanks guys.

Vdrenaline
01-01-07, 02:02 AM
Call, or better yet, visit the Judge's office and speak to his clerk. Ask her/ him about how others have gotten off similar tickets. If they won't give you any info, tell them you need to hire an attorney and need a referral. Ask who is the LOCAL atorney who is most successsful in front of that judge on behalf of his clients. Then hire that attorney to get you off of the ticket. It may cost $200-$300 but that is cheap compared with the higher insurance costs you will incur otherwise. ALWAYS fight speeding tickets. NEVER just pay. Not only does your insurance increase for several years, but the next cop(s) who pull you over afterwards will see the ticket on your record and not give you a break next time you get pulled over. Its a viscous cycle if you do not fight it.
Buy a Valentine One radar detector, don't bother with any other. I am the Jedi Master of speeding and the V1 is the best there is. Also get a good laser jammer. I like The Blinder but there are several that are effective.
Good Luck and Happy New Year!

sy1172
01-01-07, 10:44 AM
v1 all the way!!!! It's amazing everyone doesn't have one. My wife and I feel naked without one in each car.

rlj5
01-01-07, 11:02 AM
I agree on the valentine , I've tried those others that somehow keep winnng the tests, ( I think it's because they can't sell the Valentine) . I always go back to my valentine one. Really I wouldn't trade my valentine one for 10 of the others that supposedly are so good.

starfox86
01-01-07, 11:44 AM
i got another ticket last night. so the cops these days have radar telling how fast im going when the cop was going about 50 mph on the other side of the road. he said i was goin 82 in the 55. 202 bucks later ..happy new year to me.psht, i need a 4 cylinder car

atdeneve
01-01-07, 01:26 PM
No points? That's what really hurts. The fine is really nothing in comparison, as far as its overall impact.

spdracer77
01-01-07, 07:06 PM
v1 all the way!!!! It's amazing everyone doesn't have one. My wife and I feel naked without one in each car.
Valentine 1 is best. I've been doing business with them the last 5 years.

sotxmike
01-01-07, 10:36 PM
God knows I've dealt with enough speeding tickets over the years. In Texas you are allowed to take defensive driving course to wipe out the ticket. You can do it once a year. It will cost $50 to $70 for the court plus about $25 for the class. In person class is 6 hrs usually done on Saturday. Almost all driver education businesses offer the course. Most cities have comedy defensive driving courses...yeah he tells jokes but it goes by faster. You can also do it on line. The cost of doing this is always cheaper than the ticket plus the surcharge your insurance can nail you with: 10% for three years. More importantly, you will get a 10% reduction in part of your insurance for taking the course! The only time you want to do deferred ajudication is when you've already taken the course and you get another ticket within the next year. Costs are usually the cost of the ticket plus court costs plus sometimes defensive driving course again. Up to the judge. Defensive driving is a Texas state law that all courts must offer. Oh and the V-1 Valentine radar detector...there IS nothing better :thumbsup:

wicked v
01-01-07, 10:50 PM
He doesnt have to show you the radar.

Closer_2001
01-01-07, 10:54 PM

Thanks.

Just get deferred and forget about fighting it...Tx is a great state to speed in...once a year.

P-Funk
01-02-07, 09:14 AM
I noticed yesterday that there is some wrong or missing information on my ticket. He didn't mark down the Model of vehicle (blank) and he wrote down the wrong liscense plate number. Does this matter? I know it does for parking tickets but not sure for speeding since parking goes to the car and speeding to the driver.

Thanks for all of the info guys. I'll probably look at doing the defensive driving (it's been a while since I've taken it and never used it for a ticket before) and if not that, I'll do the differed.

tx_metabaron
01-02-07, 12:42 PM
In Texas you are allowed to take defensive driving course to wipe out the ticket. You can do it once a year.

I believe that's true ONLY for violations less than 25MPH over.
Defensive Driving is the way to go for the OP since he will save on his insurance.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that my premium quote drop paid more than for the court+defensive class on the first year!!!

moldowan
01-03-07, 12:46 AM
unfortunatly the reason he wrote 20mph over the limit is because the fine is more if its 20+ and you automaticly cannot get deff. judication on a ticket 20+ mph over the limit!!
Cop was an a**hole and wanted to stick it to you. I just got 2 consecutive tickets here..I'm just gonna pay them and say F-*ck it. so what if my insurance goes up..................i hate SA cops, they should try working on real crimes down here instead of looking for speeders and monitoring our crime sprees at the local movie theaters here-LOL
one cop called me a month later after my ticket and wanted a free apartment in liew of being a courtesy officer, I told him he should of let me off and to go pound sand-hehehehe
-moldy

erp2863
01-03-07, 09:19 AM
Now that P-Funk has what he needs...

Moldy,

How's that CLS55 treating you besides the tickets? Saw a CLS63 at Fry's the other day and thought of you. The corsa still sounds good.

Eric

moldowan
01-04-07, 12:12 PM
Hey eric,
I'm enjoying the car quite a bit. I love the luxury of the interior and the car is insanely fast!
The AMG does not have the steering nor the handling of the V for sure! I do miss that a lot!
so far no problems at all with the '55:bouncy: I'm gonna be in Austin for a hill country drive with ryan fox and the HCD guys on January 20th if you want to come along its open to all and there are tons of cool cars all caravaning to luckenback, tx for lunch.
-Moldy

CIWS
01-04-07, 12:15 PM
Damn, I'm supposed to be in Austin on the 16th for the Govenor's inauguration parade. Too bad it's not around the same time period. :(

P-Funk
01-04-07, 01:03 PM
How's that CLS55 treating you besides the tickets? Saw a CLS63 at Fry's the other day and thought of you.

Speaking of Fry's, on the 30th, we were at Fry's and parked next to a black SLR McLaren. That's a pretty sweet ride.

erp2863
01-04-07, 01:07 PM
Would love to join you guys, but I will be at the NAIAS in Detroit on the 20th. Hopefully figuring out what my next ride will be....