: 2005 STS Back Glass

MBL
12-31-06, 01:00 PM
Has anyone had problem with back glass...I pulled into parking lot last
evening, and entire back glass shattered into rear seat...Cadillac says
perhaps rear defroster overheated...any info will be appreciated... MBL

Cajonkev
12-31-06, 02:58 PM
This is a known and well-discussed issue with the 05's. Sorry it happened to you and welcome to the forum in such an unfortunate way!

This should get you pointed in the right direction:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-beyond/93037-almost-2-years-old-now-back.html?highlight=STS+rear+window

Best Wishes!

bigdog9586
12-31-06, 05:45 PM
I have seen this happen a few times. I worked 35 years in a GM factory and a number of times I have walked into the plant and down the line with only minimal lights on due to it being a Monday morning and the lines have not run all weekend only to hear a big boom and hear glass exploding. It is my experience from being on offline repair for many years to be the glass was installed wrong or a screw was to near and put undue pressure on the glass causing it to break. :hmm:
=================

Has anyone had problem with back glass...I pulled into parking lot last
evening, and entire back glass shattered into rear seat...Cadillac says
perhaps rear defroster overheated...any info will be appreciated... MBL

MBL
12-31-06, 07:06 PM
Thank you...It will be towed to dealer on Tuesday, but am afraid Cadillac
will not want to honor glass warranty...

Cajonkev
12-31-06, 10:16 PM
Print the thread and if the dealer gives you any trouble call the Cadillac Cust. Svc Center.

Based on previous posters even when the Dealership balked a little pressure got it resolved favorably.

Again, good luck!

MBL
01-02-07, 08:12 PM
Today I called the Service Manager at the Dealership, and he that he
would not cover the glass because the auto had more than 500 miles
on it...he stated that if anything was going to happen to the glass
it would occur before 500 miles, and they would cover it...I told him
that I was going to have it towed there, and he said not to, because
he couldn't do anything about it...so what do I do now?

AllWheelEric
01-05-07, 01:03 PM
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Cadillac won't own up to this. As much as the cost, I worry about the inconvenience... I know it will only crack at the worst possible moment. If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest paying for the repair but don't give up on pursuing reimbursement. Also make a report to the NHTSA.

Cajonkev
01-05-07, 08:44 PM
Today I called the Service Manager at the Dealership, and he that he
would not cover the glass because the auto had more than 500 miles
on it...he stated that if anything was going to happen to the glass
it would occur before 500 miles, and they would cover it...I told him
that I was going to have it towed there, and he said not to, because
he couldn't do anything about it...so what do I do now?

Dealers generally cover the first 500 miles and/or 30 days as a delivery defect.

This is actually a warranty issue and your Service Manager can call Techline to discuss the history.

Regardless I would stick to my original suggestiona and open a ticket with the Cadillac Customer Care Center and present your situation and the facts as you are aware of through this board.

Good Luck!

Jesda
01-06-07, 08:21 AM
I dont know what it is with auto glass these days. Nissan and Toyota (trucks) have been dealing with the same shattering/cracking problems, and replacement glass is hard to come by.