: February Motor Trend Spycam: 2008 CTS-V

lawfive
12-30-06, 06:04 PM
Page 20:

"600 Horsepower. Supercharged V-8. Due 2008."

"Cadillac wants to destroy BMW's M5 with the next-generation CTS-v and so has shoehorned a version of the Corvette SS's supercharged V-8 under the hood. Sources suggest 550 to 600 horsepower is likely. Track is wider than new CTS, with pumped fenders covering the tires. Note bulge in hood to clear supercharger and integrated intake manifold intercooler."

We'll see...

(No word yet on transmission options, if any, or whether the differential will be made out of something stronger than balsa wood this time.)

CVP33
12-30-06, 06:06 PM
Please say it's true. I'm so back! 550+hp!

dqw1
12-30-06, 06:14 PM
Now I gotta work real hard for a raise, a promotion, kiss ass, bring in new business if this is comes to pass.

BowenCT
12-30-06, 06:17 PM
Now I gotta work real hard for a raise, a promotion, kiss ass, bring in new business if this is comes to pass.

Haha...yup, this thing's definitely going to be priced out of my league......

Maybe I'll sell the house and stay in my 800sq.ft. condo.

lawfive
12-30-06, 06:18 PM
Please say it's true. I'm so back! 550+hp!

Yeah. Rumor is the first-gen Challenger will only have the 425 hp Hemi as the top end, with maybe the 500+ hp crate engine in 2009. Versus a new CTS-v, it'll be a bigger car with a wimpier engine. But purty... Maybe buy the 425 ponies plus a Ken Belle? It'd be mod hell again.

I'm gonna have to take a hard look at the new CTS-v first.

rand49er
12-30-06, 06:59 PM
Yup, gotta start sweet-talkin' the wife ... yup ... yup ...

Loadtoad
12-30-06, 08:12 PM
I cringe at the thought of a Cadillac for the cost of a M5.

I am sure it will be steap!

BLACK_CTSV
12-30-06, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking $80-90k...

commander112
12-30-06, 09:20 PM
You all better get those deposits in with Superior to reserve you new car.

Mark

Florian
12-30-06, 09:52 PM
I smell bullshit hype.

F

CIWS
12-30-06, 09:56 PM
I smell bullshit hype.

F

:yeah:

HiTechRV
12-30-06, 10:33 PM
Hmmmmmm.....

1) CTS-V is introduced with basically subtle mods on a stock Corvette powertrain, making sure a manual is available for racing.
2) Corvette gets a new engine, and CTS-V again gets a basically stock Corvette powertrain based on the new (presumably less expensive) base engine, keeping the same price point and performance level.

Then
3) CTS-V suddenly gets an exotic, expensive, not-in-production engine with a 50 percent power boost?

CVP33
12-30-06, 10:38 PM
GMS price for the Z06 is around $65K. I expect the new CTS-V will be in the $60-63K range. Considering MSRP for the current CTS-V is $53K and you need a Magna Charger + install + tune to make this kind of horsepower, not to mention a revised rear diff. I'm thinking that $63K for an M-killer is a bargain. You can all add your hopes to my prayers.

BLACK_CTSV
12-30-06, 10:38 PM
I smell bullshit hype.

F

VERY likely...:duck:

Loadtoad
12-31-06, 12:08 AM
GMS price for the Z06 is around $65K. I expect the new CTS-V will be in the $60-63K range. Considering MSRP for the current CTS-V is $53K and you need a Magna Charger + install + tune to make this kind of horsepower, not to mention a revised rear diff. I'm thinking that $63K for an M-killer is a bargain. You can all add your hopes to my prayers.
I am doubting that it will be under the XLR-V price but GM will atleast have to have it priced in line with the M5.

rand49er
12-31-06, 06:13 AM
... you need a Magna Charger + install + tune to make this kind of horsepower, not to mention a revised rear diff. I'm thinking that $63K for an M-killer is a bargain. ...Putting a maggie on a V has occurred with some frequency, and no one seems to be blowin' up their LS6 with this setup ... a fact that GM is well aware and a configuration GM has undoubtedly tested to death.

And yeah, this could all be someone (again) trying to be first with "news" that's total bs, a fabrication. But, it's got just enough plausibility to make a crowd of hp-hungry salivating savages this us ask, "Is this it? We know SOMETHING'S coming. Is this it?" Well, I think this or something very similar is where it's going to be. :yup:

CIWS
12-31-06, 08:10 AM
I am doubting that it will be under the XLR-V price but GM will atleast have to have it priced in line with the M5.

I would think they have to keep it something less in order to compete and draw customers. I'm still saying it will be 65K-ish, that's a 12K price jump and more than a standard corvette with everything, and just under a Z06 which won't matter too much to it because it will still be a faster car.

ahahnu
12-31-06, 08:19 AM
Either way its not gonna be cheap. Sounds great though, would love to see that. I feel so under powered all of a sudden. Like 400 hp isn't good enough when a few years ago 300 hp in an M3 was astronomical.

CIWS
12-31-06, 08:41 AM
What may be interesting is if car manufacturers keep going the way of more/bigger and in two years we suddenly have a oil problem and gas shoots to 5.00 a gallon. :eek:

HiTechRV
12-31-06, 08:59 AM
So just for giggles, what kind of street rubber would come on this mythical 600 hp CTS-V, given that F1's on a 400 hp V still spin even on the 3-4 shift?

Kadonny
12-31-06, 09:41 AM

What? No way GM doubles the price of this car. No way GM makes it more than the STS-V. No freaking way. It STILL is the entry level Caddy you know.

I totally agree with CIWS. The car will be priced in the low 60's.

rand49er
12-31-06, 11:34 AM
... I totally agree with CIWS. The car will be priced in the low 60's.Absolutely :yeah: .

csp3000
12-31-06, 04:38 PM
So just for giggles, what kind of street rubber would come on this mythical 600 hp CTS-V, given that F1's on a 400 hp V still spin even on the 3-4 shift?

I hope it's much bigger rubber on those back tires...:thumbsup:

CVP33
12-31-06, 05:05 PM
OK, here's my predictions:

1) 500hp+
2) 7,000 rpm redline
3) Staggered 5 lug tires - 18's front and 19's rear with at least 275 meats in back
4) 6 speed and auto versions
5) 3.55 rear end gear or taller (reasons below)
*Better mid and top range
*First gear 0-60 like the Z06
*A little better or same hwy mileage
*A little less stress on the drivetrain (but not much)
6) $63K sticker
7) I'll own one :lildevil:

HiTechRV
12-31-06, 05:12 PM
I am guessing it will stay a few tenths slower than the manual base Corvette of the same model year.

ntechnic
12-31-06, 06:39 PM
This car will be knocking on the $70K zone, without added dealer super-markup. My question is, what will fill the hole between the $45K well equipped 6-cylinder and the monster $70K V? Might there be an N/A Northstar CTS non-V? Something retailing in the low $50's with about 350 horsepower?

If not, then Caddy is leaving a broad swath of empty market between the 6 and the V.

v84life
12-31-06, 07:26 PM
OK, here's my predictions:

1) 500hp+
2) 7,000 rpm redline
3) Staggered 5 lug tires - 18's front and 19's rear with at least 275 meats in back
4) 6 speed and auto versions
5) 3.55 rear end gear or taller (reasons below)
*Better mid and top range
*First gear 0-60 like the Z06
*A little better or same hwy mileage
*A little less stress on the drivetrain (but not much)
6) $63K sticker
7) I'll own one :lildevil:

I like it. I'm done if under 70k out the door...:thumbsup:
How about 19's all around 255 in front 285 in rear.
also a real e-brake or at least move the f***ing hood release.

CVP33
12-31-06, 07:48 PM
I like it. I'm done if under 70k out the door...:thumbsup:
How about 19's all around 255 in front 285 in rear.
also a real e-brake or at least move the f***ing hood release.

Agreed!:yup:

mdc
01-01-07, 07:21 PM
If it is in the $60k+ range I think I am out if:

- The interior doesn't match AMG/M series standards (NO MORE CHEESY PLASTIC PARTS BIN GARBAGE EVERYWHERE)
- The fit and finish isn't close to perfect (peeling buttons on a radio after 6000 miles is a joke in a car of this "class")
- Brakes that don't make your wheels look like you've been offroading after 3 hard stops
- A trunk that actually opens when you hit the trunk release so you don't have to set everything on the ground to get stuff in
- 6 lug wheels are the devil

Performance wise I have no issues with the current V, but living with it day to day leaves something to be desired ... especially in this price range

If that new Lexus IS with the V8 is even close to what is being hyped, I may have to take a serious look

PneuBird
01-04-07, 02:06 AM
Well, it's nice to dream but I agree with Florian........Bullshit!.......and then some more Bullshit! :duck: :duck:

Slapshot
01-04-07, 11:22 AM
If not, then Caddy is leaving a broad swath of empty market between the 6 and the V.

How about the 'European' BTS or BLS depending on who you talk too?

I agree it's got to stay "below" the STS and the STS "V", but for a "superperformer" maybe they figure it would not cannibalize sales of the bigger car and be worth the Premium Price...

I'm intrigued, but the price has got to be there for me...

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/03/a_cadillac_for_1.html

livingthedream
01-04-07, 07:49 PM
It all sounds good, but for my $$$ it will be time to put the maggie on my LS6 and just keep moving on.

I already have a new diff, and a KARS III to hold it in place, just need to find a way to widen out the fenders a bit to get some more meat on the road.

Maggie and wider meats and I will stay with the LS6 that has been nothing but a joy to own and drive. This is the best car I have owned in this class (my really best car was an Aurora with the 4.0 Northstar that my son killed by sliding off the road in the rain with 190,000 miles and many more in it)

For a new millenium hot rod, best $$/horsepower I cannot think of giving it up for a $65-85K new one. Tried and true LS6, once she blows and who knows when that will be, it will be a new crate instead of a new car for me.

livingthedream
turn the key and smile