: Help! Theft System Problem - Can't Start My 97 Concours

gdpont
03-10-04, 12:36 AM
I disconnected the negative battery cable on my 97 Concours to check the connection to the Electronic Brake and TractionControl Module. After I was done, I couldn't restart the car. The starter cranks but the fuel system doesn't supply fuel. I get DTC Code PCM 1631. The messages "Theft System Problem" and "Car May Not Restart" appear. I tried leaving the key in the ignition in the run position for an hour to allow the engine to relearn the key. No help. All was fine before this. Please help if you have any ideas to solve this problem.

Lawrence
03-10-04, 11:07 AM
The first thing I would check would be all the fuse's.

The car won't relearn the key unless it is put into the program mode. I can't help you there. I don't know how it is done on a 97 Concours. I have a manual for a 1997 Park Avenue, but I am not sure it is the same. Sometimes it tells you in the manual how to add a key if you have an active key. But you'll need a service manual to tell you how to program a key if there are no active keys. It "shouldn't" have lost the programming info anyway so you may have either a bad PassKey module (in the column) or the PCM.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Check the fuses.