: Stone chip repair

malcolm
12-30-06, 11:51 AM
Anyone have any experience in windshield repair. I just got a nice chip in my windshield for Christmas and am looking for a repair. How good are the repairs? Anything I should know while looking for a repair shop? So far everyone I have called in North NJ are mobile. I was hoping I could take it to a shop.

bigdog9586
12-31-06, 01:50 PM
I have had the windshield on my motorhome done as it got a chip in it. The main thing the repair does is to keep it from further cracking. The faster you get it done the better off you are as they fill the chip before it gets dirty. If you look hard you can see it even after repair. Most insurances will pay for it to be done for free. Mine was $35 and yes they came to me and were done in about 15 min. tops. I would go for it again if ever needed. If it is in your line of vision and are going to have to look through it all the time I may just replace it, if not go for the fix.:want:
==================

Anyone have any experience in windshield repair. I just got a nice chip in my windshield for Christmas and am looking for a repair. How good are the repairs? Anything I should know while looking for a repair shop? So far everyone I have called in North NJ are mobile. I was hoping I could take it to a shop.

Glass Aid
01-01-07, 07:46 PM
Malcolm:

I'm new to this forum, and came across it doing a blog search. I own a windshield repair company here in Oklahoma City, operating since 1989. Generally if the damage can be covered with a quarter it should be repairable.

Points of rejection would be if the inside layer of glass is broken or if the damage when repaired would create a distortion in front of the driver.

When looking for a windshield repair company, you might try a company that dosen't perform replacements. While not always true many replacement shops will offer a very low price as they are looking to sell you a replacement.

It is safer if you can repair the windshield as you are not breaking the factory seal. The car care council rates the windshield as the third most important safety device, behind seatbelts and airbags. Keep in mind that many passenger side airbags deploy against the windshield.

Most insurance companies will pay for chip repairs, however you would be wise to pay this out of pocket. I have found that while the insurance companies will claim it won't affect your rates, it can. I have had several customers report this to me. Among things if you switch companies some will count this claim against you, further if you have an accident they like wise can use the windshield repair as an extra claim to justify an increase in premiums.

You might look at the National Windshield repair Association Members List (http://www.nwraassociation.org/members.php)for help.

Glass Aid

Fred STS
01-04-07, 01:59 PM
Wal-Mart sells a windshield repair kit. I've used it a couple of times and it seems to work.

CTS11723
01-04-07, 02:41 PM
The day I picked up my '05 STS in mid November, I didn't have the car in my posession more than 15 minutes when some kind of debris from a construction site on the highway cracked my windshield about half way down the center. The replacement was covered under my insurance policy and cost about $465.