: When will the SRX be restyled?

BenC
12-29-06, 11:14 PM
Does anyone have information as to when the SRX body will be restyled? I keep hearing things about the CTS being restyled in '08, and wondered if the SRX is in line at the same point in time.

c5 rv
12-29-06, 11:44 PM
I think the SRX will be dropped. Cadillac will probably offer a smaller CTS sport wagon and a larger Lamda-based (Acadia, Outlook, Enclave platform) crossover. Maybe they will call this the SRX? GM Inside News is predicting the drop to happen in 09-10. I think 08 will likely be the last year for the SRX (unless sales take off) because the rumored launch dates for the CTS coupe, wagon, and maybe vert are 09.

miked
12-30-06, 06:09 PM
Sadly, I think that this is accurate. Unless sales really really take off as a result of the interior redesign, the SRX will be dropped in favor of the smaller BRX. Cadillac officials I believe were expecting to sell numbers on the order of the Lexus RX, and aren't anywhere near there.

Oddly, the SRX has been the most critically acclaimed vehicle for Cadillac, too!

b4z
12-30-06, 08:24 PM
I would hope that in '08 that the SRX will get the 300hp Direct injection 3.6L engine and a 6 speed auto.

That would be quite the package.

ewill3rd
12-31-06, 08:51 AM
The interior was revamped for '07. Knowing GM, and knowing the CTS is getting a retooling for the outside next year, I'd say it will probably be a while before anything else changes on SRX.
I haven't heard specifics about end of production so I can't speak to that.

robhersch
12-31-06, 01:17 PM
My observations:
SRX is a good unique external design (and I like my 05 interior as well), a well performing RWD or AWD midsize SUV wt ~ 4000# with a great N*V8 engine option, and it fits nicely in my garage.
From data that I have seen, the smaller BRX would not be generally acceptable to me nor would the larger Acadia or Enclave since they are ~ Tahoe size w/ FWD or AWD, weigh more than 5000#, use V6 engines (unless GM releases a new cheaper or 2-4-6-8 ??? engine option - to replace the N*??), and share design with Saturn, Chev, GMC, Buick and prices ~ those of SRX.
Vacating SRX would yield much of this market to Lex, BWM, M-B.
If I wanted a big SUV, I would have gotten an Escalade instead of my SRX.

afg350ci
01-02-07, 08:22 AM
From what I've read, the V6 SRX was moving more that Cadillac could have imagined. They've shifted their marketing toward the crossover segment to target the female audience, and I think it's paying off.

Also, if the CTS is any indication, it takes some time for great vehicles to catch on. Unlike most cars in the world, the CTS has been increasing in sales every year since it appeared. And considering that the CTS and SRX are based on the same platform, it's a good business case to continue to sell the SRX.

I don't believe that the CTS wagon will be a big hit here in the US. Sport Wagons are all the rage in Europe, like the Audi, BMW, and MB, so Cadillac will likely sell more of the wagon overseas. Americans still prefer the higher ride height of the SUVs and CUVs.

KMO
01-02-07, 02:49 PM
Discontinuing the SRX will do Cadillac the great favor of sending me back to Buick for the Enclave.

afg350ci
01-03-07, 10:02 AM
Discontinuing the SRX will do Cadillac the great favor of sending me back to Buick for the Enclave.

Me, too.

Wagoneer
01-08-07, 03:07 PM
I'm probably one of the rare Americans that sees the virtues of wagons over SUVs, but I still hope they continue with the SRX. It's a good vehicle that has the potential to be great. Despite being an old design, it is still very competitive, especially with the new interior design. If Cadillac upgrades the feature content and engine with a new design, they could have a real winner. I think, perhaps due to poor marketing, the public still hasn't caught up with this car. It wins awards left and right.

TSS
01-08-07, 03:13 PM
I think, perhaps due to poor marketing, the public still hasn't caught up with this car. It wins awards left and right.

Agree.

afg350ci
01-09-07, 06:48 AM
FYI: The 2008 CTS just debuted with a new V6. It has a 3.6L Direct Injection V6 rated for 300 HP mated to a 6-speed auto or manual and with the option of borrowing the AWD from the SRX. Cadillac should put this engine into the SRX. That would motivate a lot more buyers. V6 fuel economy with V8 horsepower.

mkaresh
01-10-07, 09:56 AM
I think it'll run through 2009 at a minimum. It just received an all-new interior, and GM wouldn't spend the money this requires for just two model years.

The Germans sell both wagons and crossovers. Offering a CTS wagon just suggests that an SRX replacement would have less wagonish proportions and a shape more like an Acura MDX or BMW X5.

c5 rv
01-10-07, 10:00 AM
... the public still hasn't caught up with this car...

I think you hit the nail on the head here. The domestic luxury market currently seems focused on sedans and SUVs. I think once more people make the transition from truck-based SUVs to car-based SUVs, the market for the SRX will grow. Hopefully, the SRX will still be around.

GMJim
01-10-07, 10:47 AM
There is no plan for SRX after 2009. Look for a CTS wagon.

nick1bum
01-10-07, 09:22 PM
I believe they are becoming more popular, we see more and more of them every month, and mostly driven by women, although I don't think it is a womans car, just a nice family vehicle. My wife's car is a 2004 V-6 SRX AWD. The only things I don't like about it are too many blind spots to the rear and sides, especially the middle head rest in the rear, and the ride feels like the tires are going flat, it's been that way since new. In any event, her lease is up in March and we are getting a 2007 and I hope they don't re-syle them in 08, there's nothing worse than a 3 year lease right before a re-style.

The Bum
07 EXT, Mrs. Bum 04 SRX

Wagoneer
01-11-07, 02:03 PM
There is no plan for SRX after 2009. Look for a CTS wagon.

That's a pity. If GM thinks that most potential SRX customers will equally accept a CTS station wagon, they're dreaming. As much as I personally like wagons over SUVs, the typical American still hates them. CTS wagon sales will probably make current SRX sales look pretty darned good in comparison.

rbforrest
01-13-07, 09:27 PM
Anybody have a link for pics of the new wagon? Or pics of any of the upcoming models.

gothicaleigh
01-17-07, 08:00 AM
I went to NAIAS last week and you guys may have the design refresh you are looking for in the new SRX Sport. The interior of course has just been reworked in '07, and to stunning effect in my opinion (hand-crafted and leather wrapped no less :) ).
What I didn't expect was the new "face" on the SRX (and I'm surprised I hadn't noticed it before the show, because it looks good). It appears to use cues from the CTS Sport and adds a dramatic "lip" to the leading edge. Very sporty and a good step up from the previous design.

Sure, not a true "redesign", but enough of a refresh in and out that I would suggest 04-06 owners giving it a look.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/12/22/032268.1-lg.jpg

donjumpsuit
01-17-07, 05:34 PM
The only things I don't like about it are too many blind spots to the rear and sides, especially the middle head rest in the rear, and the ride feels like the tires are going flat, it's been that way since new.

If these are your only problems, I have your fixes right here. The middle headrest is removable, I did it on the first day I took posession of mine, and haven't looked back since.

Also driving the car on stock 18's has too much sidewall flex. I got a new set of 20" rims on the car, with toyo m+s tires and the car is a whole new animal, no more sidewall flex and it corners like it is on rails, trust me.

syrob@MSN.COM
01-19-07, 04:47 PM
That's a pity. If GM thinks that most potential SRX customers will equally accept a CTS station wagon, they're dreaming. As much as I personally like wagons over SUVs, the typical American still hates them. CTS wagon sales will probably make current SRX sales look pretty darned good in comparison.I for one would NOT buy anything shorter or less tall than the SRX.

SYROB

c5 rv
01-20-07, 08:59 PM
Interesting Autoline Detroit interview with Jim Taylor, general manager of Cadillac. The interview starts at about 12:00. (Just before it is a G35 feature.) "Last year escalade, this year CTS, next round will probably be the replacement crossover, SRX,..." At 20:50 there is a specific discussion of SRX and it sounds like he isn't leaning towards Lambda as the replacement because it would cannibalize Escalade.

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/autoline/watch.php?stream=1103

So, maybe there will be a new, similar-sized SRX after all.

dcarr66
01-21-07, 08:40 AM
I agree that there's a market for car-based SUVs in the US. I shopped against the Infinity FX35 and Nissan Murano and never considered a larger SUV. I want cargo space but I don't want to be at the helm of the Titanic. Although the Infinity was much more fun to drive, the SRX had a huge advantage in cargo space while still being a sporty ride.

Then again, maybe I'm still giddy since I've only had the car for a month... :bonkers: