: Does the Traction Control induce wheel hop?



HiTechRV
12-29-06, 04:29 PM
Noticing some of you run with the nannies off, I decided to play a little with the first click of the TC (TC off, Stabilitrak full on) on takeoff only.

With TC off in this way, I get NO wheel hop 90% of the time, and a very gentle up and down motion the other 10% that settles right down. This is not a floor it and dump it manuver, just a moderately quick launch, going to more gas once the clutch is disengaged.

Using the same manuver with the TC on in normal mode, about half the time it generates what feels like moderate wheel hop and the TC engages. It almost feels like the TC kicking in hard is causing the first sharp motion, which then turns into wheel hop.

Has anyone else experienced this?

kgoch
12-29-06, 04:36 PM
Yes, TC will generate wheel hop. The ABS braking system will bring the brakes on to stop the wheel spin, which creates a wheel hop.

lawfive
12-29-06, 04:39 PM
Most definitely. T/C = OFF is step one for a standing start launch.

stkshkr
12-29-06, 10:02 PM
:word:

HiTechRV
12-29-06, 10:59 PM
Interesting! Given the generally high limits of the GM systems, why do you think the TC is so agressive? Is it because of the RSAs? If you could tell the engineers anything about the TC causing wheel hop, what would you tell them?