: Remote Start Killed My ICM!!?

blunted
12-28-06, 01:49 PM
Here's the rundown.. for the past few weeks I had a hesistation which was finally cured by replacing my wires last week. The car was running PERFECT.. I almost knew it couldn't last. So yesterday I come out of work and use my remote start which has never worked 100%.. and it trys to crank but doesnt start (this has happened before) so I go and start it normally. When it starts up, the idle is high and bouncin around and I go to pull away and the car is bucking/misfiring on me. So I figured the remote start must have shorted a coil out (all 4 have been replaced within the past year) so I went to the dealership, picked one up and swapped one at a time to find the bad one.. 4 swaps later same thing. The only possible thing I can think of is that the stupid remote start shorted my ICM.. when inspecting the wiring I can see the non factory wire that was wired in with the rest.. I guess this is how the vat system is bypassed to let it start. What are symptoms of a bad ICM? I'm nervous to drop $325 on it since it's not returnable.

The remote start has not started right up before but it never left any side affects. Also my plugs and coils are all less than a year old.

eldorado1
12-28-06, 02:25 PM
If you suspect the ignition module, buy one from a junkyard. Usually $50 out the door, with coils.

clarkz71
12-28-06, 02:33 PM
I agree, and if that works then I'd by the new one, and you can re-sell the used ICM & coils on e-bay & get your $$ back.

blunted
12-28-06, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the responses.. definetly will try to find a used one but the junkyards around here kinda suck. So it IS possible for the thing to be part "fried" and still let the car start and not stall out right?

clarkz71
12-28-06, 02:55 PM
Yes, I remember a post where the guy said he had intermittent stumble/hesitation and it was the ICM. The car started and drove otherwise.

codewize
12-28-06, 03:01 PM
Please don't get me going on remote starters again. We just talked about this.

blunted
12-28-06, 03:07 PM
Please don't get me going on remote starters again. We just talked about this.

I know.. and the sick thing is I was hearing it in my head when it happened. Believe me, I will NEVER ever go to remote start this thing again in my life or get it put on any car in the future.

And yes.. I went to an authorized Viper installer.

Ranger
12-28-06, 05:08 PM
I feel the same way. Way too much integrated electronics to be hacking into.

eldorado1
12-28-06, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the responses.. definetly will try to find a used one but the junkyards around here kinda suck.

Go to www.car-part.com and find junkyards in your area with the part in stock. Loads easier than driving around or calling places.

blunted
12-28-06, 06:54 PM
One more question... this car is how I get to work and back everyday and Saturday I need to drive an hour away to get the ICM (junkyard has one for $100 with coils :D ). Will driving it like this until Saturday potentially screw up the engine since it's missing and bucking pretty bad?

eldorado1
12-28-06, 08:54 PM
It could.

It could also leave you stranded.

Take it easy, take it slow (<55mph), and you'll probably be okay.

dp102288
12-28-06, 09:49 PM
:yeah: nice & easy...

More reason for me to resist the temptation to get a remote starter put in to the Eldo. My laziness is no excuse to make the car suffer.

dkozloski
12-29-06, 12:52 AM
:yeah: nice & easy...

More reason for me to resist the temptation to get a remote starter put in to the Eldo. My laziness is no excuse to make the car suffer.
There is nothing inherently wrong with remote starts. There are literally thousands of cars in this area that are so equipped. What you do find is people looking for cheap deals and amateurs that are willing to supply them. Go with a Canadian AstroStart installed by experienced techs and you'll have no problems. Mine cost about $450 installed.

dp102288
12-29-06, 10:01 AM
^^ I guess your right. But the tying into the car's brains and whatnot, seems like I shouldn't risk a perfectly good running Eldo so I don't hae to walk 20' & one minute back & from the house to the car. I know some people have great ones with no problems, but at least I really don't need it that much. Luckly for me there has not even been one flake of snow where I live yet. That would be the main reason for me to get one. In the warm months, I would never use it if it was installed. Cause the first thing I do it start the car, then set my seat belts, turn on the radio etc... By the time I am ready to move, the car has been idling for a good 10-15 seconds. For winter, I don't usually even wait for the car to warm up. After 20 or so seconds, I am moving. For some reason I can drive in frigid temps inside the car! :p :)

blunted
12-29-06, 06:42 PM
UPDATE: Replaced the ICM which had different coils on it and it didnt change anything at all. However I did notice a loud clicking from what I think is the ISC when the car is idling.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Ranger
12-29-06, 08:10 PM
Replace the ISC motor.

blunted
12-29-06, 08:13 PM
Ranger, the ISC would cause driveability issues as well? I thought it only controlled the idle. :hmm:

Ranger
12-29-06, 10:05 PM
Correct, idle only, not drivability.

codewize
12-30-06, 12:05 AM
NO the ICS will cause all kinds of drivability issues. Mine almost killed me by randomly pumping the throttle. One day it went WOT on its own and I had to shut off the engine and ditch the car to stop.

If it's slicking after you start it change it. You should be able to see it pulsing the throttle also.

BodybyFisher
12-30-06, 12:29 AM
blunted in your original post you said this, the idle is high and bouncin around and I go to pull away and the car is bucking/misfiring on me.

The high bouncing idle could be your ISC motor since you heard it clicking. The bucking and misfiring.... are you getting a check engine code (P0300 mis-fire codes?). Have you checked codes, I have had a TPS cause this also, Mike

PS, did you meet Scott and how did you like Lakewood? Did you get a chance to walk around the yard?

blunted
12-30-06, 01:07 AM
NO the ICS will cause all kinds of drivability issues. Mine almost killed me by randomly pumping the throttle. One day it went WOT on its own and I had to shut off the engine and ditch the car to stop.

If it's slicking after you start it change it. You should be able to see it pulsing the throttle also.
:holycrap:.. WOW, That's insane.. definetly going to get it changed. I hear clicking when the car is on so i'm sure its on its way but the way it hesistates when trying to accelerate has me very puzzled. Last time I felt it like that was when I blew a coil.

blunted in your original post you said this, the idle is high and bouncin around and I go to pull away and the car is bucking/misfiring on me.

The high bouncing idle could be your ISC motor since you heard it clicking. The bucking and misfiring.... are you getting a check engine code (P0300 mis-fire codes?). Have you checked codes, I have had a TPS cause this also, Mike

PS, did you meet Scott and how did you like Lakewood? Did you get a chance to walk around the yard?

The car starts up fine and the idle settles for a second but then goes from 550 (my norm) to 850+. I'm getting no codes at all which is odd since the car is performing so poorly through all speeds. For instance, if I try to let the car roll by just letting off the brake it instead bucks and at speeds of 25-60mph the car just has no power and still bucks/chuggles.

It's killing me because it was running soo perfect with the new wires until I hit that stupid auto-start which is why I'm stuck on that idea. Besides plugs,wires, coils and ICM.. what else can possibly be ignition related that the auto start disturbed ? I pulled all the plugs 2 weeks ago and they were fine, i'm going to pull them again tomorrow and carefully inspect them in case one got fried or something. (if that is even possible)

-I met Scott briefly on the way out, since he was on the phone when I got there. I mentioned you and he asked how his buddy was doing.. I can imagine how much stuff you've been there for LOL. It was 4pm and they seemed busy and I'm sure they wanted to get out of there for the weekend so I didn't ask to look in the yard. Definetly wouldn't mind going back there sometime to see what other goodies they got.

BodybyFisher
12-30-06, 10:15 AM
It could just be a coincidence and you are blaming the remote start.

I would check the ignition wires with an ohm meter maybe the core burned out of one of them. Also check the plugs for a hairline crack or carbon tracking, remember not to use the dielectic grease on them if you are using OEM wires as the grease in embedded in the wire boots. Adding the grease can cause carbon tracking.

I would also consider surgically extracting the remote starter. Go to the manufacturers web site if you dont have the installation instructions and see if they can help with a schematic.

dp102288
12-30-06, 01:08 PM

Damn that's serious! I never knew that little thing could cause all kinds of trouble! :tisk:

Ranger
12-30-06, 01:53 PM
My money is on the wires. Been there, done that.

blunted
12-30-06, 05:01 PM
I went and pulled and my wires & plugs and found that the spark plug wire on cylinder 5 had a white powder all over the bottom of it when I pulled it. Upon removing the spark plug as well I noticed it had wet oil all over the sides of it and when shining a flashlight down there I see more oil lingering in the hole.

I went and bought a couple new plugs and I'm going to install them as well as put my old wires on and see what happens.

EDIT: I just got back from replacing the 1,3,5,7 spark plugs and I also replaced cylinder 5's plug wire that had the white powder with one from my old set. I put back my original ICM with coils since mine seemed newer and started her up.. guess what, shes purring again!! It's kinda fustrating that all my year old Ac-Delco plugs and wires didnt make it past a year.. for now i'll blame it on my auto-start and just never used it again.

I'm so happy this was resolved before New Years because I would have been miserable the entire time. Call me crazy but whenever something's wrong with the Eldo, it's all I can think about and just can't relax. Thank you to everyone who responded and offered some insight.

dp102288
12-30-06, 10:06 PM
Glad you got everything fixed! I go crazy too when the Eldo is sick. Its my baby. :D

turbocad6
12-31-06, 03:08 AM
a remote start in these cars is not something to be just thrown in by some guy in an install shop, sure there may be a few installers that are good enough to understand the whole system & properly interface with the bcm(s) & various modules, & that understand the proper use of diodes, relays, transistors & resistors & that know that everything must be soldered,shrinkwrapped & securley fastened...

but for every one installer there is that is capable of a proper install. there are hundreds of installers that just won't be able to fully integrate & install a reliable system... they may get it to beep & they may get it to crank & start, but there is more to it than that, & a simple thing like a missed diode in a place that needed it could damage components or cause eratic behavior...

I would never trust anyone else to install one of my systems cause I really don't know anyone I trust enough to be able to do it right... I do all my systems myself, & they are trouble free & fully integrated with no butchered comprimises like joining seperate input zones or load circuits.. I'm going to do my dts soon... three bcm's & dual driver support...what a fun system it'll be to do:)

bottom line, unless your going to have a real top notch pro do your vehicle remote system, just leave it alone... it's better off unbutchered... but once you get used to the 2 way comunication with your vehicle that a system like this provides, ir is a really nice benifit to have too:)

dp102288
12-31-06, 12:58 PM
:yeah: If I wasn't scared about the damage the system could to to my car, I would be scared about the installer and the actual install!

But that DTS job sounds hard as hell! :bonkers:

BodybyFisher
01-01-07, 06:03 AM
Glad you get it straightened out Erik

eldorado1
01-01-07, 09:56 AM
It's kinda fustrating that all my year old Ac-Delco plugs and wires didnt make it past a year..

Just another reason to buy what's on sale... you'll end up spending less in the long run. ;)

My $40 plug wires are still running strong 4 years later. I think I got my money's worth :alchi:

codewize
01-01-07, 01:08 PM
When the ICS is clicking like that it's trying to range itself but can't. Either because it's bad or because it's getting bad readings from the TPS. Usually not the TPS from what I've seen. The ICS goes bad more often IMHO.

But yeah when they get like that and don't know what's going on that's the result. They can make, or allow the car to stall, rev the engine, I also had hesitation on take off. All kinds of weird crap.

clarkz71
01-01-07, 01:20 PM
Just another reason to buy what's on sale... you'll end up spending less in the long run. ;)

My $40 plug wires are still running strong 4 years later. I think I got my money's worth :alchi:

As long as you think so. There's plenty of examples of original Delco wires lasting over 10 years & 100K miles.

BodybyFisher
01-04-07, 12:11 AM
Agreed, the AC Delco wires are very high quality, this is unusually poor service for delco ignition wires....