: New HU in 1996 Seville w/ Bose

football751
12-28-06, 01:33 PM
I am trying to install an Alpine HU in my 1996 Seville w/ Bose stereo system. I purchased the Axxess GMOS-06, which I was led to believe would allow me to kepp my existing Bose speakers and amp. The good news is the radio works and I get quality sound through the speakers. The bad news is the sound fades out every minute and twnety seconds (1:20). Yes, it is exactley every 1:20. The sounds fades out for 1-2 seconds, then comes back. It is the GMOS-06, since if I plug in ext. speakers to the RCA jacks on the radio it works fine, and if I plug the GMOS-06 into another radio it still fades out. I have called Metra Electronics to see if they could help. They told me to cut the 4 in. black jumper cable, but this has no effect. So they told me I have to buy the GMRC-03 and bypass the amp. Everything I read online says that the GMRC-03 is NOT for cars with a Bose system. Is this true, or is there a way to get around the Bose amp? If so, how do I do that, and how will that effect the sound quality? I really want a new HU so I can hook up my iPod, but I don't have the money to replace the whole system (speakers, amp, etc). What do I need to do to get the HU working without needing new speakers or a new amp? Thanks

CadillacSTS42005
12-28-06, 05:59 PM
although it says for eldorado only the 96 and 97 seville used the same bose system as the 96-02 Eldorado
if you read the instructions it says you must cut a black ground loop wire to prevent the sound from cutting out, my guess is you didnt do this...

also the gmos-03 is for your car if you remove the hu and run your own speaker wires thereby bypassing the bose amps i have one for sale fyi if interested...

football751
12-28-06, 09:23 PM
if you read the instructions it says you must cut a black ground loop wire to prevent the sound from cutting out, my guess is you didnt do this...

I already tried cutting the black ground loop to no effect.

dp102288
12-28-06, 09:39 PM
Is the Axxess GMOS-06 defective? I ask since you said you grounded it already, and its fading in another car too.

CadillacSTS42005
12-28-06, 10:19 PM
believe it or not
i just tried for shits and giggles installing my gmos-06 and the SAME thing happend
i cut the wire, i had the 3 optional grounds off and on and still ill be damned every min and 20 secs the amp cuts out for like 2 secs comes back on and does it again a min and 20 sec later...
called metra an hour too late
i intend on hearing what they say before i dig deeper into it
right now im kinda beat after doing my dads sts heater core...

weister42
12-28-06, 10:24 PM
Those stupid interface thing didn't work for my car either. God I wish they stop selling them.

CadillacSTS42005
12-29-06, 12:04 AM
yuh
i was gonna go the t interface route (t harness to relocate the hu to the trunk) but i couldnt find one and i wasnt gonna hack my harness to move the plug

football751
12-29-06, 09:14 AM
Is the Axxess GMOS-06 defective? I ask since you said you grounded it already, and its fading in another car too.
Well, it's not fading in another car. If I plug the RCA's into another radio, the sound still fades in my Seville. I did this originally to make sure it was the GMOS-06 and not my HU.

I called Metra 3 times and the only advice they had was to cut the ground wire and to mess with the blue screw that's on it. I've tried both with no results. They told me that the success rate for 96-99 Cadillacs is 40%, and that it wasn't defective. I'm going to try ordering a new one, testing just the unit, and if it doesn't work still than returning that one.

dp102288
12-29-06, 09:52 AM
^^ Oh! Well I don't think that would help since ETC had the same prob.

Damn ETC! Same exact problem! That 1:20 cutout is very weird though...kinda creepy!

football751
12-29-06, 09:57 AM
Emailed Metra and they said its a communication issue between the GMOS-06 and the amp, which is a software issue so there's nothing that can be done. If I do decide to get the GMRC-03, what do I need to do? Do I just run new wire to all the existing speakers, or what? And where is the Bose amp?

CadillacSTS42005
12-29-06, 09:18 PM
theres four mini amps one mounted on each speaker
if you go aftermarket you must replace everything as nothing aftermarket will work with bose...

dp102288
12-29-06, 09:39 PM
Damn. Since there is no fix its going to get pricey! So its a software issue with the head unit? :hmm:

football751
12-29-06, 09:45 PM
Here's the two responses I got from Metra:
"The reason you are having this problem is to broad for this e-mail,
but in short, it's a communication error and there is not a solution to
the problem as it is a software issue. You will have to use the GMRC-03
and bypass the factory amps, speakers and wires."

and

"There are plans if it is possible, again to broad of a scope to
explain. Yes you have to replace the factory amps, speakers and wires."

So they might come out with a new version (mine is 2.3) but there is no time frame. And yes, it is getting pricey, especially since I will have to pay to have someone install new speakers. I can put in a HU, but I'm not putting in new speakers and running wires.

dp102288
12-30-06, 12:51 PM
^^ Man that sucks. At least they realize that you will have to run new wires and speakers. But I would never go that far since new wires means a lot of work.

football751
12-30-06, 03:44 PM
Yah, plus the Bose speakers are so good (in my opinion) that I can't justify $250 for new speakers.

dp102288
12-30-06, 09:38 PM
I never was so glad that my car didn't have Bose. Or else I wouldn't be able to listen to my MP3s (via cd). :tisk: on someone's part, but not sure who (GM or Metra).

I have a question now. I was thinking about it. If you wanted to use a GMOS-03 you have to rewire the car to bypass the mini-amps correct? Why can't you just use the existing wiring and bridge them outside the amps to bypass them (the mini-amps)? That way the amps are out, and you are using factory wiring. Why wouldn't this work?

STS127
12-30-06, 11:03 PM
I am trying to install an Alpine HU in my 1996 Seville w/ Bose stereo system. I purchased the Axxess GMOS-06, which I was led to believe would allow me to kepp my existing Bose speakers and amp. The good news is the radio works and I get quality sound through the speakers. The bad news is the sound fades out every minute and twnety seconds (1:20). Yes, it is exactley every 1:20. The sounds fades out for 1-2 seconds, then comes back. It is the GMOS-06, since if I plug in ext. speakers to the RCA jacks on the radio it works fine, and if I plug the GMOS-06 into another radio it still fades out. I have called Metra Electronics to see if they could help. They told me to cut the 4 in. black jumper cable, but this has no effect. So they told me I have to buy the GMRC-03 and bypass the amp. Everything I read online says that the GMRC-03 is NOT for cars with a Bose system. Is this true, or is there a way to get around the Bose amp? If so, how do I do that, and how will that effect the sound quality? I really want a new HU so I can hook up my iPod, but I don't have the money to replace the whole system (speakers, amp, etc). What do I need to do to get the HU working without needing new speakers or a new amp? Thanks

Any pics?

CadillacSTS42005
12-31-06, 12:00 AM
its the bose boxes and their low independence that makes the bose sound good..
buy a set of infinity kappa 2 ohms and use the front bose boxes...

football751
12-31-06, 12:11 AM
its the bose boxes and their low independence that makes the bose sound good..
buy a set of infinity kappa 2 ohms and use the front bose boxes...
So the Kappa 42.7i 4" speakers? How do those compare to the Reference 4012i 4" speakers? Also, what would you recomend for the rear deck 6x9 speakers? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money.

Also, what about the Alpine SPS-10C2 4" and SPS-69-3C 6x9 speakers? The 4" are $40 and the 6x9 are $65, so they're a great deal. I listened to them at Best Buy and they sounded pretty good, but what are people's opinions about Alpine speakers?

dp102288
12-31-06, 12:35 PM
I actually like Alpine speakers. A ricer friend of mine (almost shameful I know) has an all Alpine setup in his car. Head unit, speakers, and subs. Everything sounds pretty damn good.

CadillacSTS42005
12-31-06, 07:03 PM
refs are 4 ohms only
kappas are 2 or 4 ohms

football751
01-28-07, 03:29 PM
Well, aftyer a month of trying I'm close to a solution. I have hard-wired one of the individual Bose amps to the amp turn-on on the HU, ground, and the speaker + and - to one fo the RCA jacks. I get sound from the speaker, but at medium-high volume, the sound becomes distorted and will cut out intermiodetly. It seems as if an overload-protection mechanism is being engadged, but I am not turning it up as much as I did before (with the factory radio or with the Metra), and before it never cut or or became distorted because of volume. Anybody have any ideas on how to bypass the Metra and just wire from the radio to the individual amps w/out any distortion or cut-out?

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-07, 10:44 PM
if i were you
id just get the gmos-03
it doesnt use the rcas at all....

football751
01-28-07, 10:55 PM
if i were you
id just get the gmos-03
it doesnt use the rcas at all....

Did you mean GMRC-03, or really GMOS-03? I can't find much about the GMRC-03, and it doesn't look to be made for the Cadillac (http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Axxess-GMOS-03-Interface-Harness/dp/B000LU8O20). The GMRC-03 just seems to have a chime box and some wires, so how would either of these help me keep the Bose speakers and amps? I thought the 03 wasn't designed for cars w/ the Bose system?

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-07, 11:14 PM
gmos-03
the gmos-03 gives you the chime box that youll need to retain chimes with
then run the speaker wires do not use the rcas to the amps, that will boost the power signal to them

mike0580a
01-31-07, 02:08 PM
I had a similar problem with my GMOS-06 in my 99 Seville.

I bypassed the GMOS-06 with the blue AMP wire. I connected the blue wire directly from my HU to the Blue wire on the big connector that went to the factory harness. This should sent the "start" voltage directly from your HU to the individual amps and bypass whatever "software" problem the GMOS-06 has.

Just my 2c.

Mike

CadillacSTS42005
01-31-07, 04:17 PM
thats a good idea too!

welshlad
01-31-07, 05:34 PM
i never bothered chancing it with the bose system in my seville. i ran all new speakers and wire to the origional locations, bypassing EVERYTHING and my system works like a charm. for everything i did check out my post "aftermarket audio in 96 seville." a professional car audio shop warned me that tying into the bose system will create a feedback into your deck that can actually damage or destroy it. considering i spent a grand on a clarion dvd deck, i didnt chance it, and with the quality of what i ended up with, i would recommend you just run all new speakers.

CadillacSTS42005
01-31-07, 05:41 PM
dude trust me
thats what i did and i know all about it
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2118818/2

football751
01-31-07, 09:33 PM
I had a similar problem with my GMOS-06 in my 99 Seville.

I bypassed the GMOS-06 with the blue AMP wire. I connected the blue wire directly from my HU to the Blue wire on the big connector that went to the factory harness. This should sent the "start" voltage directly from your HU to the individual amps and bypass whatever "software" problem the GMOS-06 has.

Just my 2c.

Mike
I don't think there is specific amp turn-on wire in that huge 32 pin harness. I got a wiring diagram, and there is no amp turn-on wire, just an antenna turn-on. I have the 96 Seville w/ Bose, is that what you have?

CadillacSTS42005
01-31-07, 11:24 PM
actually it may have 4 mini amp, but they are controlled by the cdx box mounted in the rear seat, the hu just tells this to turn on, bypassing the 06 and directly connecting the blue amp wire to the remote turn on for the cars bose amps probably will work...

welshlad
02-01-07, 03:14 PM
hey, that was for football751, im just sharing what ive been told so nobody feels like theyre wasting their time and risking hardware trying to dapt aftermarket to oem audio. your etc has some different interior features ive noticed...bigger door speaker openings in the bose enclosures, and a different way of accessing them. my post was to help guys with the sevilles...like football751. the ride looks nice though, id rather have the etc over the seville

CadillacSTS42005
02-01-07, 10:38 PM
oh i know man
i the echo boxes in the front are different however they are the same system and same speakers

mike0580a
02-02-07, 11:51 AM
football751

I've got a 99 SLS, but I experienced the same problems when I installed my Sony HU with the GMOS-06 and followed all the instructions that came with the GMOS-06.

Blue wire coming from your HU is a remote amp or antennae start - bottom line is it sends out a small amount of voltage to tell something to turn on.

The GMOS-06 I have had a blue wire going in to the black box part that the instuctions said to connect to my HU and then connect the blue wire on the other side of the black box to my aftermarket amp. ADDITIONALLY, there is a blue wire coming from the 32 pin connector that the instructions said to hook directly to my HU.

When I ran the blue THROUGH the black box and connected the 32 pin blue before of after the black box, neither amp (mine or the Bose) worked properly. After a few tries, I eliminated the black box pass through (taped them off) and connected the blue from the 32 pin connector and my own amp directly to the HU and everything works fine for more than 2 weeks now.

Mike

mike0580a
02-02-07, 01:11 PM
This isn't the best pic, but I think the GMOS-06 I have is slightly different than what I see on most websites.

You can see the blue wire on the input harness (immediately right of black box in pic). The rest of the wires are jumbled, but you can see the other 2 blues - one comes from the smaller (output) plug from the black box (top right in pic) and the other goes into the biggest plug that connects to the factory wiring.

Mike

CadillacSTS42005
02-02-07, 04:22 PM
nope
mines the same

welshlad
02-05-07, 04:51 PM
the only thing i miss is the stereo remaining on for 10-20 minutes after the key is turned off...does this gmos box retain that? basically thats the only thing thats got me interested in trying that box out.

football751
02-05-07, 05:01 PM
Mike,
So, I hooked up my amp turn-on wire from the HU to the blue-white wire going into the GMOS, and the dull blue antenna turn-on went directly from the 32 pin to the HU. Are you saying to connect the dull blue antenna turn-on to both the amp and antenna turn-on? That is the only blue wire coming out of my 32 pin harness.

CadillacSTS42005
02-05-07, 05:27 PM
yuh it does

CadillacSTS42005
02-05-07, 07:27 PM
I don't think there is specific amp turn-on wire in that huge 32 pin harness. I got a wiring diagram, and there is no amp turn-on wire, just an antenna turn-on. I have the 96 Seville w/ Bose, is that what you have?

This isn't the best pic, but I think the GMOS-06 I have is slightly different than what I see on most websites.

You can see the blue wire on the input harness (immediately right of black box in pic). The rest of the wires are jumbled, but you can see the other 2 blues - one comes from the smaller (output) plug from the black box (top right in pic) and the other goes into the biggest plug that connects to the factory wiring.

Mike

mike
im kinda lost about how you bypassed the box....
the blue wire thats on the big white plug is the antenna wire....

which blue wire did you use as the remote wire for the 4 mini amps and which location is it on the big white plug?

mike0580a
02-06-07, 11:30 AM
I skipped the GMOS-06 entirely with the blue wire. I went from my HU directly to the big wiring harness. I taped off the blue wires on both sides of the GMOS-06.

Amplifier "start" wiring in any GM vehicle is normally pink and normally a smaller (like 18 or 20 AWG) wire. In my wife's suburban I had to splice it in, no GMOS-06 or the like required for that vehicle. Take a look at the big plug and your vehicles wiring harness and see where the pinks go.

Mike

CadillacSTS42005
02-06-07, 05:43 PM
so by what you say
then the amps must turn on with the antenna
correct?

mike0580a
02-07-07, 10:52 PM
I took my dash apart today (had to anyway) and here's where what goes. Just bear in mind, I have a 99 SLS.

From the output side of the GMOS-06 to the big connector that hooks to the factory harness, there are 2 small pink wires. On the other side of the factory plug (where the pinks come out) there are two small dark purple lines.

So (for a 99 SLS) the factory wiring for the factory amp is purple. Why there are 2 separate lines for a single amp vehicle makes me wonder if there isn't a second amp hiding somewhere.

For the Power antennae wire it connects to a large white wire on the factory harness. If disconnected, the radio exhibits erratic behaviour :?

It seems the biggest question is whether or not the 2 pink wires from the GMOS-06 and/or the blue from the head unit are connecting to the proper lead from the factory harness.

As I said before, generally GM uses pink for the amp start wiring, but on my SLS it's purple. In both cases it's a smaller guauge wire than the rest in the harness.

Mike

CadillacSTS42005
02-07-07, 11:08 PM
im surprised the amp will turn on without the blue wires connected...

shickamo
03-26-07, 04:21 PM
So basically the remote turn on from the HU connects to the amps remote wire and the bose antenna on wire? If this is the case then could the antenna turn on wire on the GMOS06 spliced to get the same effect and not have to cut any stock wires? Also, does that mean that the GMOS06 software issue is only a conflict with the bose amp(s)?

SL1CK
06-19-07, 01:09 AM
any updates?