: FYI Goodyear Tires

FarEast
12-28-06, 10:07 AM
It looks like GoodYear came up with tires that would fit an SRX. TireRack doesn't have'em... yet but Sam's Club does for about $170 each. I might end up trying these out since I definitely need new tires and I definitely don't want no OEM Michelins.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Eagle+ResponsEdge&mrktarea=Performance&size=P235%2F60R18&sidewall=VSB

sgilbert
12-28-06, 10:20 AM
Needed tires several months ago, and desporately wanted those goodyears, but, with the strike, couldn't get 'em. No one could! Even tried Sam's Club who told me that they get theirs from Tire Rack.

Finally, 2 weeks ago, after not wanting (or being able) to wait any longer, got the dreaded OEM Michelins.

Thay ARE good tires, just wear too quickly, and have low traction in the snow...which, BTW, we haven't had any of this year...VERY uncharacteristically!

Ah well, 2-3 years from now, I'll look into GY's again.

FarEast
12-28-06, 10:35 AM
Well... I do want something better than Michelins for the snow. It doesn't snow down here in Seattle (well almost) but up at the mounting passes it's a whole different story. I believe ski resorts and snow parks here in Washington are having one of the best seasons. Global Warming is to blame I guess. Anyhow I am not happy with stock Michelins expedited wear - a rip off no doubt IMHO considering that for less expensive vehicles they somehow are able to come up with tires that last much longer.

pottermx
01-04-07, 11:20 AM
I put Pirelli Scorpions on my AWD V6. Love them!!! Quieter, better in the rain. My chamber? was off on my Goodyears so I had super uneven wear. I was able to match the OEM sizes with the Pirelli's. Paid under $600.- for four with balancing, etc.

CaddyinKC
01-04-07, 11:31 AM
I put Pirelli Scorpions on my AWD V6. Love them!!! Quieter, better in the rain. My chamber? was off on my Goodyears so I had super uneven wear. I was able to match the OEM sizes with the Pirelli's. Paid under $600.- for four with balancing, etc.

Which Scorpions did you buy? There are several Pirelli Scorpion tires.

FarEast
01-04-07, 03:31 PM

What GoodYears were those? Did you try alighment?

Anyways it looks like I'm going "same size for all four tires" route. Got my GoodYears on order and I expect them to arrive in a few days. They had only 34! tires available in the whole country. Well now with my purchase just 30...
Looking forward to being able to rotate tires. I'll let you guys know how it went maybe even post some pictures.

mdressler
01-04-07, 03:33 PM
When you go to 'all 4 the same', what size do you use? Do you change the front to the larger size or back to the smaller size?

Smokin' SRX
01-04-07, 04:22 PM
When you go to 'all 4 the same', what size do you use? Do you change the front to the larger size or back to the smaller size?

I went to all SAME size 3 months ago! Went w/ the larger rear size and love it!!! NO probs at all.

For the record, I have a V-8, so tires are 235/60-18V in front and 255/55-18V in rear. NOW I have 255/55-18H.........all around! I went to the "H" as a way of "softening" the ride a little. ( it's 5-10% softer, with same handling, very quiet) "H" tires are rated at about 130 MPH maximum, while "V" tires (the OE type) are rated at 149 MPH, as determined by the elec. governor on the engine!
It worked great. I went with Dunlap SP 5000 Sport, All Season, @$169 ea. from Mavis.com. They sent it to their nearest shop to me for mounting! GET the alignment!!! Now, I just can't do more than 130 MPH!!!;)

FarEast
01-04-07, 05:10 PM

Larger backs. Fronts are not available at this point at all but even if they were something still to be said about advantage of rotating tires.

Kauai 1
01-05-07, 06:01 PM
I, too, found that the new Goodyears are not readily available; probably due to the long strike. As I am planning a trip to Colorado soon, I decided to trash the OEM Michelins and get four Hankook Icebears; 255/55-18V's all around. Cost $157 each at Discount Tire. Have not hit the snow yet, but the performance so far in the dry is excellent, with good handling, smoother and quieter ride. Will let you know how the snow & ice performance is next month!

FarEast
01-12-07, 11:12 AM
Update:
Got my new GoodYears on just in time for another round of snow in Seattle.

05N*SRX
03-17-07, 02:15 PM
Verry nice! I am going to get the goodyear eagles when the stockers are done with.

robhersch
03-19-07, 03:33 AM
Update:
Got my new GoodYears on just in time for another round of snow in Seattle.

I note that the Goodyears referenced are 235/60R18 and not the 255/55R18 selected by most answers on this thread; did you go for these on all 4 corners and do you notice any differences in ride or handling vs the OEM Michelins?? Thanks in advance.

FarEast
03-19-07, 02:15 PM
I note that the Goodyears referenced are 235/60R18 and not the 255/55R18 selected by most answers on this thread; did you go for these on all 4 corners and do you notice any differences in ride or handling vs the OEM Michelins?? Thanks in advance.

Don't mind the reference it is just to show tires. At the time I bought mine (early January) it wasn't event possible to buy front size so I went with the rest of the crowd 255/55R18 for all four tires. As to performance remember that original OEM Michelins aren't bad tires. They just wear off to fast, cost too much and it isn't possible to rotate them. GoodYears are definitely not worse if not better on a snow and similar to stocks in all other categories. Although I must confess at the time I replaced my tires front Michelins were starting to look and feel more like skies rather than tires. That's why I can't really compare snow performance of Michelins vs. GoodYears. As to the advantages GoodYears cost less (not much though) and should last much longer having higher threadwear index and being rotated.

analogist
03-19-07, 10:09 PM
I have the new Goodyears on my 05 AWD and find them a big improvement over the Michelins which wereoriginal equipment.

went with the 235's on the front and the 255's on the rear.
Ride is much smoother than Michelins and they handled very well on this weekend'ssnow and ice.

I did notget them on line for the only experience I have with mail order tires was sticky.One tire was wrong and it took forever to correct. My local dealer ordered the Responsedes
and they arrived the next day.

I priced the Michelins at Costco and the Goodyears were about 20% less money.

This weekend we are planning a birding triptoNorthern Massachusetts where they will be tested driving on some barrier beaches.

analogist

Killer Dobs
03-21-07, 03:36 PM
I got 255/55/18 on all 4 corners...Service Tech stated there will be no problems with this set-up.
I bought Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread and they have been great...500 miles and loving the response....Not 1 slip on wet roads...no snow yet. Paid for Road force variance balance and they run smoothly.....Slight increase in road noise, nothing major.

2004 V8 AWD

FarEast
03-22-07, 08:29 PM
IMHO Fortera Triple Tread is more off road type vs. ResponseEdge is more performance tuned.

Killer Dobs
03-26-07, 09:13 AM
IMHO ...Uhh no. Triple treads are not an off road tire. They are an All Season Passenger tire. It performs great on the curves and handles all types of weather. We own an AWD vehicle, we need all weather tires.

FarEast
03-26-07, 10:21 AM
How about more noise you're noticing? IMHO - offroad. Well not the kind of offroad where you sink to the doors in the mud but still... with off road in mind. :)

Killer Dobs
03-26-07, 12:17 PM
IMHO not any more noise than if you switched to Goodyear OEM from Michelin OEM. IMHO

Tom Wheeler
03-27-07, 08:34 AM
IMHO not any more noise than if you switched to Goodyear OEM from Michelin OEM. IMHO

I would have to agree, I had TripleTreds on my last vehicle, put 50,000 miles on them, still had close to half tread life left when I sold the vehicle and loved them. When I bought them, they were band new to the market; my tire dealer friend recommended them. I was a little unsure because my last few vehicles with OEM Goodyear’s were not that great. My last car at the time only had a few thousand miles on it, but I wanted new tires as I couldn't stand the OEM Conti-contacts, hydroplaned big time. In defense of Continental, I put Continental Extreme-Contacts on my wife’s Stratus R/T Coupe and they are a great performance, all-weather tire.
Getting back to the TripleTreds, I found them quieter then the OEM Continentals, handled great, incredibly resistant to hydroplaning, and great in snow. I would have put TripleTreds on my 07 SRX if they made them in 255-50x20”, instead I have Toyo Proxy S/T’s and also like them very much.

Tom Wheeler