Cadillac Owners Forum banner

where can I tap into the 12v around rear view mirror?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  the727kid 
#1 ·
I decided that having my portable Garmin nuvi around the rear view mirror is the best place for it. I do hate the cable from its power cord to the cig lighter socket hanging down and leaving the ashtray open. I know the wiring for the vanity mirrors run under retained accessory power as do the map lights.

But I don't have any experience wiring cars. Any suggestions ideas and experience is welcome here. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
^^ You're going to hang it? I just can't imagine how it would look.

If you have a FSM, you should be able to find exactly what you need. If not, you could pick a spot where you know some 12 volt wires will be. Then open up that object (mirror, lights, etc...) and use a multimeter to find the 12v hot and cold wires.

That's bascially it in a horrible nutshell. Someone else should be able to elaborate.

#3 ·
Thanks. I do have an FSM... where do I look?

Yeah I have it right under the rear view mirror. It's a Garmin Nuvi 350 with traffic antenna. The antenna is already hidden in that space by the ceiling and windshield. I have about 150 songs in the MP3 folder so I have a tape adapter with a cable hanging down along with the power supply.

The nuvi has its own power for up to 8 hrs, I think, but the traffic antenna requires direct 12v feed. It basically highlights the affected roads in red (clogged) or yellow (moderate) and roadwork or accident signs. Each one has additional details such as "right lanes closed" or "exit ramps closed for construction" etc. and it gives you the option to "AVOID" them. It's helped out a couple of times.

Eventually I'll get that little harness to have line inputs in lieu of the 12 cd changer.

#7 ·

I tapped into the homelink garage receiver and basically installed a cigarette lighter adapter in the space inside. It is inside the console where the glasses storage is (I don't have a sunroof).

I did notice that when it's cold outside my connection is not there... then as it warms up it works--I just twisted the wires together.

Therefore I should ask: Thu, how did u tap/fasten the connection? I guess I could use a soldering iron, but difficult access.

Thanks,

Alex

#8 ·
There is a common splicing gizmo. You just crimp it on. Real cheap - Radio Shack. It's real fast, real simple, and real small.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=2032058.2032231.2032283&parentPage=family

The link isn't the exact product I used. The one I used has a spade connector where you just plug in to it. But the one in the link is probably better. $2 for a pack of 10.

I like these squeeze-on taps as there is no wire cutting and they fit into really tiny spaces and are very reliable. Just make sure you get the correct size for the wire you're planning to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.