: Great Tires! Pilot Sport PS2 w/Pic's

rambird
12-27-06, 05:40 PM
Well, after much deliberation and reading all the posts on optimal tire sizes, I ordered a set of Pilot Sport PS2's from Tire Rack 245/45x18 front and 275/40x18 rear. I've owned a set of PS2's on my previous car (BMW 540) and loved them. They ride so nice, are quite, and grip like glue. Its amazing the difference it makes especially off the line. These tires just grip great! I haven't pushed them in the curves yet, but I'm sure they will not dissapoint. To all of you who said that 275/40's would bulge or look funny on stock rims....you be the judge. There's no bulging in my opinion...looks great. Hope this helps anyone else trying to decide what to do.

HiTechRV
12-27-06, 05:47 PM
They look good. It looks like you could have even run them all around. Bulging can vary a lot by brand. Some other tire might look odd. Maybe the stiff sidewalls keep them from bulging.

urbanski
12-27-06, 05:50 PM
Dude!
Nice!!

HiTechRV
12-27-06, 05:52 PM
Are the 275/40's a similar rolling diameter to the OEM tires? Or did you just get the speedo adjusted through a tune/ ECM flash?

urbanski
12-27-06, 05:53 PM
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

BLACK_CTSV
12-27-06, 05:54 PM
Looks good - do you have a pic of the back end that shows both tires?

CTS-V420
12-27-06, 05:55 PM
Glad you got the 275s on the rear! Is this you first set since factory tires?
I can't wait to see how long the Michelins will last.
You definatly get great grip with them and I wish I had them. Its just they cost mucho Chee$e and wear pretty fast.
Wish my BFGs were as SMOOTH as thoose.
**what wax and wheel cleaner do you use BC your V shines like a MOFO**

The Tony Show
12-27-06, 06:06 PM
PS2's are the shite. It's a fact.

HiTechRV
12-27-06, 06:06 PM
Wow nice match - identical rolling diameter and almost an inch and a quarter more tread on the pavement. Did the tire place give you any grief for putting them on an 8.5" wide wheel?

50 4Ever
12-27-06, 06:16 PM
I haven't pushed them in the curves yet, but I'm sure they will not dissapoint.

I have PS2's on the Corvette which I drive on the track. These tires are not as quick to hookup as the F1 Supercars (non-runflat), but when they do hookup they are great. These tires do need to heat up before they will work properly. You'll really like the tires.

urbanski
12-27-06, 06:20 PM
ya no shit, one of my crashes was on cold PS2s. gotta lube em up

50 4Ever
12-27-06, 06:26 PM
ya no shit, one of my crashes was on cold PS2s. gotta lube em up

Getting to be a very experienced V driver. :cheers:

svassh
12-27-06, 07:23 PM
Tires look great, stock exhaust meh... not so much.

rambird
12-28-06, 01:18 AM
Wow nice match - identical rolling diameter and almost an inch and a quarter more tread on the pavement. Did the tire place give you any grief for putting them on an 8.5" wide wheel?

No problem from the tire shop. They thought they would be fine.

rambird
12-28-06, 01:27 AM
Glad you got the 275s on the rear! Is this you first set since factory tires?
I can't wait to see how long the Michelins will last.
You definatly get great grip with them and I wish I had them. Its just they cost mucho Chee$e and wear pretty fast.
Wish my BFGs were as SMOOTH as thoose.
**what wax and wheel cleaner do you use BC your V shines like a MOFO**
These are my first new set. I had a set of PS2's on a 540i and they lasted about 25,000....the fronts looked great at 25,000 but the rears were shot in the center. We'll see how well they wear on the V. Going the same size all the way around would help extend tire life, but I wanted to have bigger tires out back. Time will tell how well they hold up.

AmesCTS-V
12-28-06, 11:06 AM
It doesn't look like they bulge. They either run narrow or you are going to have one hell of a wear problem.

joshdctsv
12-28-06, 12:10 PM
FWIW, I found that Discount Tire Co sells the PS2s for the exact same price as Tire Rack (local sales tax vs. shipping is nearly a wash). I went on a rant several years ago when all of the local tire shops refused to match their pricing. Looks like capitalism has finally won out! This way I can get Hunter Road Force balancing and no blaming of the supplier if there is a problem.

joshdctsv
01-06-07, 08:37 PM
Got my PS2s today. Any thoughts on proper tire pressure?

Jpjr
01-06-07, 09:08 PM
I run PS2's on my Cobra. Best street radials you can buy, and of no coincidence the most expensive. If you do not track your car I recommend these. If you do track your car there are stickier drag radials like Nittos that will work on the street but comprimise less.

1MEANV
01-07-07, 03:10 PM
that what i have on mine also

lawfive
01-07-07, 03:53 PM
To all of you who said that 275/40's would bulge or look funny on stock rims....you be the judge.

Tires: :thumbsup: Scrape: :eek: :crying:

What happened there?

clubho
01-08-07, 01:10 AM
for the question about the speedo...speed/ mileage are controlled by the non-drive wheels.

Questions for rambird: why did you not want a run flat tire? What kind of treadlife (mileage) did you get?

atdeneve
01-08-07, 01:20 PM
for the question about the speedo...speed/ mileage are controlled by the non-drive wheels.

Are you sure about that? My clutch has the known problem and, obviously I can't get it fixed from any of the dealers around here. Now, when I revved the engine in neutral to about 4-5 grand, in order to demonstrate the clutch drop, my speedometer would jump up to about 4-5 miles an hour. Needless to say, I was standing still and the front wheels were certainly not moving. So, are you sure? And what the hell could have caused that jump on my speedo?:hmm:

rambird
01-08-07, 10:21 PM

Questions for rambird: why did you not want a run flat tire? What kind of treadlife (mileage) did you get?

I've owned the PS2's before on another car and loved them. There's also not alot of good runflat options for this car. Not sure the mileage I'll get with them on this car, but I would expect 20,000-25,000. It's what I've experienced in the past.

rambird
01-08-07, 10:23 PM
Got my PS2s today. Any thoughts on proper tire pressure?

I've been trying to figure out what's best. Right now they have 35psi. Seems fine. What are you running?

50 4Ever
01-09-07, 12:35 PM
Will the 275/40's clear on the front if the car has not been lowered?

joshdctsv
01-09-07, 01:16 PM
I've been trying to figure out what's best. Right now they have 35psi. Seems fine. What are you running?

Cold 32-33, warms up to ~37 right now. Seems fine. Paperwork from Discount Tire said cold 30 (sounds too low), yet they had them inflated to 36 (warm) when I left their lot.

Currious to see if it trips the tps' 41 warning like the GSD3s did in the summer.

rambird
01-09-07, 11:39 PM
Will the 275/40's clear on the front if the car has not been lowered?

Although I didn't actually try it, I measured and I'm pretty certain that they would not work on the front. Try turning the tires all the way and look at the clearance. Not much there.

chrisalteregokelley@
01-15-07, 12:10 AM
My BFG Pilot Sport A/S have been running great...