: Why do some SRX owners refer to their.....

Luv2Run
12-27-06, 04:57 PM
SRX as a "truck" when posting? I wasn't aware the SRX is built on a truck chassis. :confused:

Thanks
Don

Smokin' SRX
12-27-06, 07:08 PM
SRX as a "truck" when posting? I wasn't aware the SRX is built on a truck chassis. :confused:

Thanks
Don

You are correct! It's built on a solid uni-body but higher off ground than cars and offers AWD.........thus "truck" nomenclature by some! Really a Crossover/SAV (sport ativity vehicle!)
Enjoy!

c5 rv
12-27-06, 09:12 PM
I mainly refer to it as the car, as opposed to the truck or the vette. Per a guy that works at the Grand River Assembly plant, they call them wagons.

CaddyinKC
12-27-06, 10:07 PM
I refer to mine as my 'Caddywagon' :D

keeton
12-28-06, 12:40 AM
Although current advertising refers to the SRX as a crossover, the shop manual refers to it as a truck. The latter, no doubt, is due to the EPA classification and endorsed by GM. Trucks fall into a separate (and more lenient) category for safety/emissions/fuel economy regulations.

I refer to the SRX as a tall CTS station wagon. :yup:

TSS
12-28-06, 10:36 AM
I call it my pseudo truck. Don't like the "wagon" stigma!

syrob@MSN.COM
12-28-06, 11:12 AM
Listed as WAGON on my registration...

SYROB

TSS
12-28-06, 01:25 PM
Listed as WAGON on my registration...

SYROB

Mine too.......But so were my last two tahoes!

MortnCyn
12-28-06, 01:56 PM
Must depend on the state of registration. Ours shows body style as CARRYALL. Guess this would put it in the truck classification based on the old Chevy Carryall. Illinois allows some vehicles SUV's etc. to be licensed as a truck or an automobile.

john d
12-28-06, 02:19 PM
California registration & title defines the SRX "BODY TYPE MODEL" as "UT" and our DTS as "4D".

TSS
12-28-06, 03:59 PM
California registration & title defines the SRX "BODY TYPE MODEL" as "UT"

Suppose that means "Utility Truck"?

john d
12-28-06, 06:46 PM
Suppose that means "Utility Truck"?
Follow this link to page 3: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/ol/ol89.pdf

inline6
12-29-06, 12:22 PM
When we purchased our SRX, the term crossover did not exist, at least not regarding a motor vehicle. Cadillac grouped it with the Escalade and EXT and the dealers called them trucks and or SUVs. Our title also shows it as a carryall.

donjumpsuit
12-29-06, 12:37 PM
Take a look at the size of the door on your SRX, and compare it to a accord, or camary, or any other "car", or a "wagon" like audi or BMW in fact. It is gigantic. I would prefer my car to be a sportwagon. But I will knick name it "Lets go in my truck" every once in a while.

MortnCyn
12-29-06, 12:51 PM
I had said earlier that our registration shows CARRYALL. Just put new registration in the glove box and the last registration was UTILITY.

Rod04
12-30-06, 07:56 PM
You are correct! It's built on a solid uni-body but higher off ground than cars and offers AWD.........thus "truck" nomenclature by some! Really a Crossover/SAV (sport ativity vehicle!)
Enjoy!

Do you know of any other cars in GM stable that share the same platorrm? I have been wondering what the SRX was related to.

Thanks.

c5 rv
12-30-06, 08:58 PM
Do you know of any other cars in GM stable that share the same platorrm? I have been wondering what the SRX was related to.

Thanks.

The SRX is built on the Sigma platform at the Lansing Grand River assembly plant as are the CTS and STS.

b4z
12-30-06, 09:15 PM
SRX has the design and interior(pre '07) of the CTS but has wheelbase of the STS.

Don't quite understand why people call it a wagon because if it was 5-6" shorter than everybody would say, yeah, it's a crossover like a Lexus RX330.

I was drawn to the SRX because it wasn't stubby.
It's proportions are much better than the average CUV, most look tippy and have shorter wheelbases.

Look at the current BMW X5 that thing looks like it would tip over in 30 mph wind.

b4z
12-30-06, 09:16 PM
I think also technically it is a truck because it has 6000 lb. GVW.

zinner
01-01-07, 11:11 AM
You can get it with a V8 and a tow package so I guess it could be called a truck. Also it's RWD or AWD another check in the truck category.

afg350ci
01-02-07, 09:11 AM
According to all the automotive "experts" in magazines like Motortrend and on websites like Autoblog, the SRX falls into a category that they call CUV, or Crossover Utility Vehicle. b4z mentioned it above. And, body on frame, or truck-based, utility vehicles like the Tahoe are considered SUV. Either way, it is still considered a Utility Vehicle based on dimensions, ground clearance, and options such as towing and AWD.

LS1Mike
01-02-07, 01:57 PM
I got one today as loaner, My CTS is in the shop for a leaky valve cover gasket.
Not a truck, but I do like it a lot!

SRXES
01-11-07, 07:08 AM
Listed as Sport WG on my insurance. I would imagine that is Sport Wagon.:caddy:

GMJim
01-27-07, 12:02 PM
Designed as GMX265..............X = car T = truck

mrstang94
01-28-07, 12:08 AM
Mine is... "One fast grocery getter"