: a different rear end noise

pinnacle71
12-27-06, 12:13 PM
I searched for "rear end noise" and didn't find any threads.

... but seriously folks...

My diff is making a different kind of noise. No whine (with this, my second diff), but it clunks, pops, and pings at low speed while turning. Happens when I'm parking, for example. It sounds like a racing locker. I'd happily accept this if it really were a locker, but...

Anyone else have this?

Thanks,
--Greg

The Tony Show
12-27-06, 12:23 PM
Yeah, that was the final straw for me before I got my original diff replaced.

keeksv
12-27-06, 12:38 PM
Is there enough fluid in your diff? Sounds like LSD clutch noise...

Take it in and have them swap the fluid (with additive) and see if that helps; if not = new diff.

CIWS
12-27-06, 01:35 PM
Anything like this ?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3152g.pdf

kgoch
12-27-06, 01:46 PM
The mechanic may have fergotten the additive that keeps the clutches slipping when you turn. My dealer rebuilt my diff and must not have added the additive. In a month the diff started making the noise you describe, so they installed a new diff.

pinnacle71
12-27-06, 02:00 PM
Anything like this ?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3152g.pdf

Exactly like that. Thanks, I'll bring that to the dealer with me.

One dealer told me that this was normal, because its a performance car. I smiled and left. I try to pick my battles.

Thanks,
--Greg

The Tony Show
12-27-06, 02:23 PM
One dealer told me that this was normal, because its a performance car. I smiled and left. I try to pick my battles.

Thanks,
--Greg

:histeric:

CIWS
12-27-06, 02:31 PM
Exactly like that. Thanks, I'll bring that to the dealer with me.

I just happen to have that handy because I took the car in this morning to have an oil/filter change and the tires rotated and balanced again and while I was there I told them to take the car and drive it in slow circles in the parking lot and see if they also heard any of this, there was a TSB out on it. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. I dropped my car off at 07:30 this morning and it's almost 13:30 now and I'm almost ready to call them and check status because I know it doesn't take 6 hours to do an oil change and tire rotation. ;)

Oh and thank Reed and the Cadillac FAQ for having that stuff handy. :)