: Hmm... Something is fishy about this '74 Fleetwood Talisman

eldorado99
12-27-06, 01:05 AM
http://www.usedvancouver.com/classified-ad/2001997&category=passenger-cars

The vinyl top is ruined, but the car appears decent otherwise. I asked about the mileage and she is not sure, but it is in the 100-200K range. Apparently there is a small amount of rust behind the fender wells as usual... Maybe they just don't know how much a Talisman is worth? I'm gonna try to get out to look at it ASAP. That car is either the deal of a lifetime or there is something seriously wrong with it... Probably the latter.

davesdeville
12-27-06, 05:58 AM
Depends on what they mean by small amount of rust IMO..

JoCan
12-27-06, 07:42 AM
Body looks in decent shape, but what's going on with the dashboard? :hide:

KaddyKat
12-27-06, 07:46 AM
You gotta love it especially the back seat. Personally that crushed velour gives me the eebi jeebies(leather all the way) but the car looks like a good find. Hopefully it will turn out to be the case.

eldorado99
12-27-06, 02:09 PM
Body looks in decent shape, but what's going on with the dashboard? :hide:

Yeah I wondered about that too, It looks like the windshield might be fogged up, or maybe its just a reflection of something. If you look at the other pic of the dash it looks fine.

brougham
12-27-06, 02:20 PM
Looks like a normal kind of price for it to me. Like I said before theres nothing really special about those cars except for people who like Talismans. To everyone else its just an old Cadillac. I found one for sale for around half that price a while ago and it was for sale forever. Nobody wanted it.

bigbluebrougham
12-27-06, 02:55 PM
It looks to me that the whole right sidfe might be rusty after looking at the picture real close. 1/4 of the trunk lid is rust. It looks to be surface rust, however with no picture of the inside of the trunk, or for that matter, the whole right side of the car, who knows?

brougham_geezer
12-27-06, 07:53 PM
I live across the country in Nova Scotia and called the woman as well, in hopes of an incredible deal. Istumbled upon it one night and flipped out. I was looking for a Talisman. The woman has no clue about it, but it doesn't run as of right now she told me. I don't think it's too bad a car, probably an excellent deal, with minimal rust and work required. I'd love to see some better pictures man. eldorado99, I hope you find out what the scoop is and let me know. Way too far from me, costs of airfare and gas were mindboggling. I'm better off settling for less around here sadly. Hope it goes to someone who won't screw it up and ruin it through customization. Genuinely curious about the car. Best of luck to eldorado99 from me!

I just remembered these items: a dog ripped up the vynil top, the inside is beautiful (she says), and from what i can see those are pine needles on the trunk, not rust... and that looks like a tarp on the dashboard in the fist pic.

eldorado99
12-27-06, 08:13 PM
Small world eh!? Yeah when I phoned she asked me if I was the "Guy from Nova Scotia". I did the same stumbling upon one night and flipping out. It does look in good shape. Pics can be very deceptive however. I've seen pics of cars like that which turned out to be total rust buckets. The car has been for sale for a while and if I could get it for 600-800 I'd almost certainly go for it. It's only about 15 minutes from where I live. Even if the exterior has a ton of rust I'd be tempted to use those seats and consoles in my '70, but it would have to be a total mess outside and have a shot drivetrain I think. That has a 472 does it not? I know the Devilles and normal Fleetwoods had 472s that year still, but being as this is a Rolls Royce of a Cadillac I thought maybe it'd have a 500.

When I go to look at it in the next few days I'll be sure to take some pics for you! I think you are right about the pine needles and tarp, it really does look like its in decent shape. I'll let you know how it goes!

I live across the country in Nova Scotia and called the woman as well, in hopes of an incredible deal. Istumbled upon it one night and flipped out. I was looking for a Talisman. The woman has no clue about it, but it doesn't run as of right now she told me. I don't think it's too bad a car, probably an excellent deal, with minimal rust and work required. I'd love to see some better pictures man. eldorado99, I hope you find out what the scoop is and let me know. Way too far from me, costs of airfare and gas were mindboggling. I'm better off settling for less around here sadly. Hope it goes to someone who won't screw it up and ruin it through customization. Genuinely curious about the car. Best of luck to eldorado99 from me!

I just remembered these items: a dog ripped up the vynil top, the inside is beautiful (she says), and from what i can see those are pine needles on the trunk, not rust... and that looks like a tarp on the dashboard in the fist pic.

codewize
12-27-06, 09:09 PM
I think that's a reflection on the glass. The right rear deck lid looks to have the rust. Other than that the car looks like a steal.

caddydaddy
12-27-06, 09:24 PM
Nice Cad for $1,000! I like the color combo too!

brougham_geezer
12-27-06, 10:44 PM
Small world indeed! I got a chucke that she remembered I called. It was a funny conversation. Glad to hear a fellow enthusiast has picked up the trail. Keep me posted about this, and send a private message if you want to add me to msn.

If the engine is original (and it probably is), it has the 472 that normal Fleetwoods have. No 500's in Fleetwoods/Devilles until '75... but don't let that discourage you! That 472 is still a rock solid motor... hopefully in this case. Remember, the lady doesn't appear to know too much about cars, so you could talk her down to $600 maybe, and end up with a car that only needed a new battery to run! :D Optimistic, but who knows?!

Steeltag
12-28-06, 12:04 AM
I"d say go for it...but try and talk her down....I would if it were down south....otherwise....thats a llllllloooonnng drive.

eldorado99
12-28-06, 01:06 AM
Small world indeed! I got a chucke that she remembered I called. It was a funny conversation. Glad to hear a fellow enthusiast has picked up the trail. Keep me posted about this, and send a private message if you want to add me to msn.

If the engine is original (and it probably is), it has the 472 that normal Fleetwoods have. No 500's in Fleetwoods/Devilles until '75... but don't let that discourage you! That 472 is still a rock solid motor... hopefully in this case. Remember, the lady doesn't appear to know too much about cars, so you could talk her down to $600 maybe, and end up with a car that only needed a new battery to run! :D Optimistic, but who knows?!

Yes my conversation with her was also a little odd, I guess she's just of of those people, then again I was pretty tired when I phoned her so maybe I sounded a little dumb myself.

The reason that this car stuck out among the crowd for me (Other than it being a Talisman I mean) is because I scour, and I mean SCOUR, the local classifieds looking for Caddys and sometimes Lincolns, and I only was able to find this car by googling "Cadillac" and "Vancouver" and then going through about 5 pages or so of trying to find links that actually led to classifieds for Vancouver. Then I found this car on that one obscure website. She didn't think to try the Buy&Sell, Autotrader, or Craigslist like 99% of the people would do.

Yes I am very familiar with the 472, and I do like it quite a bit. My '70 has the same drivetrain (minus a few emmisions-related components and some different heads). This is part of the attraction to this car for me also. It'd be nice to have another drivetrain ready to go for my '70 in case I need it. Although if that car is as good as it looks from the pics then I can't see butchering it just for the drivetrain. On the other hand, if it is rusted to hell, 600 bucks for a complete drivetrain isn't all that bad anyway.