: New here- thoughts about this purchase?

tom281
12-26-06, 09:15 PM
Hello to everyone-

My wife and I are debating on purchasing an '04 SRX. It has the Northstar V8 and is AWD. It has the wood trim, adjustable pedals, big moonroof, 20" wheels, and had just over 40,000 miles. The exterior is in great shape; the interior is in good shape however it looks like there are some areas where the "fit & finish" is questionable; mainly looks like it was a poor design at the factory more than anything. It does not have the 3rd seat; it does have the 6 disc changer, dual zone HVAC, etc. The dealer is asking $22500 for it; it seems like a good deal.

Is there anything that you would recommend that we investigate before we go further? I have the carfax report and its clean. What are some of the problems that we should be aware of?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

sgilbert
12-26-06, 10:17 PM
Firstly, is the dealer a caddy dealer? If so, have them run a computer check to make sure all recalls have been done. Also, have them hook up to computer to see if any codes have been set.

Secondly, if a Caddy dealer (or even a GM, possibly) attempt to get it Caddy certified to get 100k warranty.

Thirdly, those 20" wheels & tires are FAR from OEM..Ride comfort and tire life will suffer. Be prepared to replace often due to damage from pot holes, etc. You might "balk" at the 20's and try to get OEM 18's----Unless, of course, you really WANT the 20's.

Resale on SRX's have really suffered -- do a search on these forums. $22,500 is good, but not great. I'd try for less.

robhersch
12-26-06, 10:44 PM
I would request to see the - GM/ dealers service records - (does carfax get complete records ?) esp for the engine, trans, AWD drive train incl all 3 differentials and the related computer modules (some issues on this forum re AWD noise, reflash etc); I would also want a GM or Cad dealer extended warranty to ensure some protective coverage after standard Cad 48 mo/ 50 k mi factory warranty expires. Also suggest checking the GM "tis" site, enter the VIN for recall & update data.
Otherwise good luck; the SRX is a great vehicle, the N*V8 is outstanding, and your price sounds reasonable.
We test drove most of the V6 vs V6 and V8 vs V8 competition for 2004, ordered 04 SRX N*V8, could not get Blue Chip/ Ebony, and canceled the 04. We went back & retested comps, again found no real competition for the N*V8, (and no alternative for the UntraView); we then reordered a 2005. We have now had our 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD for 2 years. We had the radio assy replaced due to DIC resets, CD continuous running, and a suspension recall check all under warranty. We just love ours; and except for the above, we have experienced none of the negatives found on this forum.

tom281
12-27-06, 06:09 AM
Firstly, is the dealer a caddy dealer? If so, have them run a computer check to make sure all recalls have been done. Also, have them hook up to computer to see if any codes have been set.

Secondly, if a Caddy dealer (or even a GM, possibly) attempt to get it Caddy certified to get 100k warranty.

Thirdly, those 20" wheels & tires are FAR from OEM..Ride comfort and tire life will suffer. Be prepared to replace often due to damage from pot holes, etc. You might "balk" at the 20's and try to get OEM 18's----Unless, of course, you really WANT the 20's.

Resale on SRX's have really suffered -- do a search on these forums. $22,500 is good, but not great. I'd try for less.

It is at a Caddy dealer......Tom Kelley in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I'll ask about the certified warranty and about the recall updates. From the carfax report, it looks like its had the updates performed.

I thought the wheels were OEM because the emblems are Cadillac and the salesperson said they were part of a factory upgrade (?). I see that 20s are available on the '07 models, but I guess they weren't on the '04s.

Thanks for the advice.:thumbsup:

tom281
12-27-06, 06:12 AM
I would request to see the - GM/ dealers service records - (does carfax get complete records ?) esp for the engine, trans, AWD drive train incl all 3 differentials and the related computer modules (some issues on this forum re AWD noise, reflash etc); I would also want a GM or Cad dealer extended warranty to ensure some protective coverage after standard Cad 48 mo/ 50 k mi factory warranty expires. Also suggest checking the GM "tis" site, enter the VIN for recall & update data.
Otherwise good luck; the SRX is a great vehicle, the N*V8 is outstanding, and your price sounds reasonable.
We had the radio assy replaced due to DIC resets, CD continuous running, and a suspension recall check all under warranty. We just love ours; and except for the above, we have experienced none of the negatives found on this forum.

Thanks!

Smokin' SRX
12-27-06, 06:05 PM
Thanks!

Hi! Robhersch and the rest said it good! It's a real fast truck/SAV and not a Honda Pilot/Toyota Highlander! (what are looking for in an auto?? Image and power/luxury or "point A to point B")

If you wish to be saved from being bored to death, without even a second look............ BUY IT! BUT........not without a damn good (100K?) GM/Caddy warranty on EVERYTHING mechanical, or PASS! Why? Like so many BMW's, MB's, Lexi, this thing has more electronics/gadgets than the Space Shuttle!! And it'll cost you! Have them discount the warranty (normally $2k on this baby!)

But do consider a new one if you plan on your needs staying same for at least 4-5 years! The '07 upgrades are commendable and the total difference to you over 4-5 years will be only $2-3K a year when you consider warranty etc. And a v-6 is great and will save another $300 a year in gas (average) over a V-8. Never mind re-sale w/ the V-8 if gas goes to $4 gallon in 2010!
Good luck!:)

tom281
12-28-06, 03:46 PM
Ok guys- here's where we're at.......

We got the price down to $21500 including the Caddy 6yr/100K mile warranty. Its got 41K miles on it and was purchased in April '04, so we would have over three years of warranty left. My wife will be driving this vehicle daily, year 'round in northern Indiana. I know this is likely a "biased" forum, but if you had the chance would buy again for this price?

c5 rv
12-28-06, 06:45 PM
Be sure the vehicle history doesn't indicate a raft of problems. (04 was the first year.) Be sure you and your wife can live with the wide door sills that get dirty - and get the backs of your pant legs dirty unless you do the "SRX dance" when you get in and out. If you are financing, there are often some 2.9% rates from GMAC.

sgilbert
12-28-06, 08:45 PM
With the discount and the 100k warranty---grab it! BUT, if, and only if, you really want those 20" wheels. They will be a stiffer ride. AND if all else checks out A-OK.

Personally, I love my '04; have had very little go wrong. And, my pants are just fine--never got then dirty on the door sills. :)

robhersch
12-29-06, 10:29 AM
With the discount and the 100k warranty---grab it! BUT, if, and only if, you really want those 20" wheels. They will be a stiffer ride. AND if all else checks out A-OK.
Personally, I love my '04; have had very little go wrong. And, my pants are just fine--never got then dirty on the door sills. :)

DITTO same comments for my 05 SRX N*V8!! I would also jump on this before the dealer ups the ante.