: 1986 cadillac limo restoration

lochenjons
12-26-06, 09:13 PM
okay so some of you may remember that i was ranting about an ad on craigslist for a 1986 cadillac limo for sale for 900$... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/252621879.html

so i went to check it out today and i was slightly unimpressed. its a caddy so i immediately wanted it, but then i got realistic. i dont really have the time or money to restore something like this... the things that are wrong with it that i noticed are:

window tint is bubbling
headliner in rear is sagging
rear astro roof is duct taped to the outside roof
rear air conditioner doesnt work
rear radio/ tv doesn't work...
somethings wrong with the front radio... speakers dont work
a lot of the switches are broken
the paint is CRAP... when i say crap i mean crap.
theres a considerable amount of body rust

the engine (5.0) and tranny is in fine condition though... 59k miles. the tires are also practically brand new.

but again, it is a cadillac... im just wondering if anyone has an idea about how much it will take to restore it... i dont really have the time and money to do a full restore. It would be a wonderful car and i would love to see it restored to its former glory...

what would you guys do ?

Rick186
12-26-06, 09:57 PM
Heavy rust would scare the hell out of me.:eek:
If it's a California car, I would think it's been beached!:stirpot:
Maybe dunked in the Salton Sea?
That is an awful lot of car to rescie from rust.
Yet, I can empathize with you since I wanted to rescue every steam locomotive I saw in scrapyards (and some are still there !). A Cadillac it in the same category. It deserves a better fate.
But I think there is too much to do with what you posted unless you made it a club project.
(Hey! There's an idea !:hmm:

RobDeville
12-27-06, 10:59 AM
I can understand getting sucked in on something with such low miles. I want to buy almost every caddy I see. I currently have 3 so it feels like I have but this sounds like a lot to do. If you really were so amped about it that you new right away you wanted to tackle it then I would say go for it. you only live once. but you already show some hesitance and you should trust your gut.

I do think it is good that you get the word out on it. Ofcourse you could low ball him and offer $450. Then just work it as a side project. but only you know how much time/effort your willing to put in. Hopefully you have a dock for a yacht of that size!!:eek:

lochenjons
12-28-06, 01:31 PM
yeah the thing is HUGE... the thing im stoked about is the fact that the engine and tranny are in perfect condition. im not really into restoring a car with engine/trans problems. I could always make it a club project. I'm just concerned with the rust. theres a lot of it... i'll give it a second try and let you guys know how it goes

Red_October_7000
12-28-06, 04:33 PM
Go for it, dude -all those problems can be overcome. Body panels can be replaced, radios rewired, paint re-painted, and air con recharged or even replaced (I've done this -it's hard work but not difficult, if that makes sense), but a low-mileage driveline that was never beat on and got regular maintenance, go for it! You'll never find a 59,000 mile Caddy for that much money in ANY shape. Plus having a limo around is mega-useful.

90Brougham350
12-28-06, 10:20 PM
I hate to be pessimistic but the rust would send me running. A lot of rust is just one of those things that makes or breaks a car.

Benzilla
12-29-06, 06:39 PM
Go for it. That's all minor stuff. If it already runs fine, a lot of your work is done. Is it just surface rust or cancer? As long as it doesn't have trunk cancer, I'd buy it. I want a limo...

Red_October_7000
12-30-06, 01:02 AM
Anything except bad rust on the frame can be overcome. Or are these monocoque cars? I really don't know, I hate to admit... especially since I hope to purchase an 82 Fleetwood 75 soon. I suppose I owe it to myself to find out!

lochenjons
12-30-06, 01:33 AM
ok ok, just when my girlfriends dad talked me out of buying it and talked me into buying that old 4x4 chevy i've always wanted, im going to give the limo another shot. I'm gonna call up the tow yard where it's at and see if i can take it for a test run... i'll take some pics and let you guys know whats up with the interior

Benzilla
12-30-06, 01:36 AM
A Cadillac limo vs. a 4x4 chevy.... where exactly are you getting caught up? lol.

lochenjons
12-30-06, 01:47 AM
well ive always wanted an ol beater chevy to take up to the mountains here... in response to one of the questions, it looks to be just body rust... and lots of it. i guess i could get that taken care of when i get the thing repainted... if i get it. anyone from the central coast of california feel like helping with a limo project?

sizanjdf
12-30-06, 07:26 PM
My 74 limo had alot of surface rust and cancer in the front fenders and lower rockers near the back wheels, but its not to bad to do body work on. The guy was asking 1000 for it and I got it for 400, low ball him and if he doesnt take it walk away. if you decide you want it you can always go offer more.

hillbillywood
02-08-07, 08:08 PM
Anything except bad rust on the frame can be overcome. Or are these monocoque cars? I really don't know, I hate to admit... especially since I hope to purchase an 82 Fleetwood 75 soon. I suppose I owe it to myself to find out!

Hey, Red_October_7000,
Did you get your '82 Fleetwood 75? Tell us all about it. Do you have pictures? I've searched the web inside and out and cannot find any of the early '80's Fleetwood 75's for sale. I've been reading a lot about the 368 6.0 liter engines in the 75's and they sound really cool. These must be very rare.
hillbillywood@yahoo.com

Red_October_7000
02-09-07, 01:52 AM
Haven't gotten it yet.
I need money and I haven't got it to spend on another project right now. Very soon though I'll be getting it either from my grandparent's estate or from getting a job, which I've been searching for a lot lately as I just finished college. I really want it, though, Series 75s are some of my favorite cars.